Are People Richer In India??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I had always imagined that is how a Delhi-IIT alum would end a discussion with a Miranda-House alum. :wink: Giggle. Fun, wasn't it ?
    <disclaimer: I didn't go to DU>

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Not familiar- but good to know. Oh man it been almost 3-4 years since I have shopped anything in India.

3. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

anika some more analysis topics for your future threads :) Take the list with a pinch of humor :) all in the well meaning intention of pozhudhu poradhukku fun.

USA vs India,
    working women vs SAHM,
    what I have vs what I dont have,
    the life I have vs the life she has
    What I could have had vs What I ended up having
    What my DH does vs What he should be doing
    Work in this vs Vacation over there
    Grass brown here vs Grass green there

Who is more irritating?
    Simbu kuthu dance vs Priyanka Chopra doing lungi dance

Besides - I agree with JAG - everything is good until one is made to realize that this is NOT home - and what is important or not changes.
    @justanothergirl Wish you a Very Happy 2017

totally Tangent, nothin connected to this thread/op - anyway since thread has veered off:
    Heard a horrible tragedy story of a friend's friend today. Made me remember (yet again), how much we all crib about stupidest things when life is otherwise ok.

And then there are the cheaters who create "vent" threads, while acting totally unrepentant (and a bunch that writes supportive of it which is another shocker). I dont know if cheaters will get their due in this jenma or next, but get they will - as sure as death and taxes.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

This is where the personality of people comes in. For one set the tail is being with the throng and eating sweets. For another it is culture, museums etc. One lot looks on the other "uncomprehendingly"

KashmirFlower, mankar and nuss like this.
  5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So true.

KashmirFlower and jskls like this.
  6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I've spent my adult life in the US. The India I grew up in no longer exists. This is the home I chose, and for better or worse, it's my only home.

As far as "rich" goes ... There's no denying that people who live where they are born have financial advantages in the form of inherited property, parents paying for education/wedding, the security of a roof over their heads, etc. As first generation immigrants, OTOH, we start from scratch in our chosen countries. Everything we have has been earned by us. We never forget the days when we scrimped and saved, we never forget the value of every dollar, we never learn to spend money freely. Our children have the advantages we didn't have.

In a sense we're comparing apples and oranges here. Another way of looking at it: An independent person starting out on his/her own in the USA can quickly find him/herself in a decent apartment with furniture, appliances and all the comforts of life. When I left India, it was not possible to do this. Maybe it is now, I don't know.

"The only time you should look in your neighbor's bowl is to make sure that they have enough. You don't look in your neighbor's bowl to see if you have as much as them." — Louis C.K.

Personally, I tend to be content with whatever I have. This isn't necessarily a good thing.

I like Anika's perspective. Her threads reveal a person with ambition, gumption and drive. Discontent makes us strive to achieve more. Looking around to see if indeed the grass is greener elsewhere is what drove us to pack up our bags and move.

Anika's threads make me re-examine my choices. I tend to hang out with people like myself — lovers of libraries, museums and theater. Anika's threads are a window to another world. A reminder to stop and appreciate things that I don't necessarily value or pursue.

@anika, thank you. :)

7. rossie

rossie Gold IL'ite

ditto. .. here for the sake of DH. I threw a lot of tantrum..but gave in seeing DHs interest... He didn't want to leave the family and was willing to stay back in India.. So budged. Left family, job, friends and everything.. Didn't think twice back in India to spend.. Vacation was so easy.. But from the time started living here.. no time and no money also. LOL... have to think so much . EMI.. College funds and what not. Far from loved ones.. celebrating all festivals alone.. in locked house.. Huh..

sumalynux and PatsLove like this.
  8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

:thumbsup: Like this perspective

KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  9. rossie

rossie Gold IL'ite

:roflmao:
    I m still laughing.. rofl

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2017
  10. Jlisabell

Jlisabell Bronze IL'ite

People just say the same thing. It was your decision, live with it. I don’t understand what is wrong in saying that this life is not easy without getting an advice on how to live with it. I don’t go out saying am sad but this is a forum and what’s wrong in saying how one feels?

I was raised to be a strong independent woman. Had to take family responsibility at a young age and earn while I was in college. Used to go to college in day and work at night. Have been through a lot. So, I know what it is to be self reliant.

Yes, I am here because this is my working age and I need to save as much I can so that I can give my baby girl the life and education she deserves.

But all my early experiences have made me realize family system is really important. Even with their flaws, they are still family. I will always miss them and I wish I could spend more time with them. The comfort I get from just being with them, is not the same talking over phone.

KashmirFlower and sumalynux like this.