Are People Richer In India??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Feb 1, 2017.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Agree with you. I moved here at 24 so I can totally relate.
    I miss my family but I would rather spend quality time with them when I visit for a month and when my parents visit us here instead of being there all the time and getting on each-other's nerves (of course personal opinion.

This thread reminds me of the story of 10 blind men and the elephant where the blind men were asked to touch the elephant and describe it. Each person described the elephant based on what they experienced no one could explain that it was an elephant. Same with Ameerika- we all have our own experiences and based on those experiences we try to describe this country.

I still encourage students (kids in my family) to go to USA for higher education because the critical thinking based education that we have in the USA cannot be compared with Indian education system (IIT is one of the best institutes in India and I still found it hard to analyse the information critically when I first moved to the US).

sindmani, GoneGirl, Shanvy and 10 others like this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I feel that folks in India are richer if I compare only those on the same level of earning capacity as my family here - engineers, research scientists, university professors, doctors.
    I do not interact with IT professionals in the USA where I live, so unable to compare them to the young IT professionals in India. While visiting India I do note that IT professionals in India do have very high buying power.

However, this is just one sector of the population.

While in the saree stores, jewelry stores, etc. I look at the other side of the counter and see no sign of wealth in the salespersons. They all look weary, perhaps bearing the burden of their families. Some are very young boys and girls who look like they are just out of high school.
    In the US also many families are in the same financial level.

However, I also noticed the discussion drifting to quality of life in these two countries.
    Whether US is better or India is better if we have the same amount of money is a matter of personal choices as @Shanvy mentioned earlier.

Equal number of things are good in India, just as they are in the USA for the same buying power. Each of us has to make that informed decision, and once made, enjoy that life without comparison of what we are missing.

I read a comment about lack of restaurants on the level of ITC Chola. There are a number of high end restaurants in every major city in the US; been to a few where dress code also prevails. You just have to search for them.

There is no need to put down USA.... no need to put down India. If US and India were the same why would folks come to US? We all could have stayed in India. We come to US knowing it is different.

Everything in life has a price to it. We cant have it all. Give some take some.

Discrimination - it is everywhere in this world in different forms. In India I have personally come across friends being turned away from renting homes based on their faith, caste, and religion, personal eating habits, and even marital state.
    In the US too I have experienced it in different forms.
    In both countries I have found ways to move on with my life ...some I have fought, some I've ignored.

My take on discrimation is this.There are many things in life that are like matter. They can neither be created, nor destroyed; only transformed. Discrimination is one of them.

I guess I wrote too much.

The only reason I posted is too request young ladies in the US to not feel low about what is happening. Instead, focus on plan B, should some event warrants action.

Best wishes.

sindmani, Umanga, MalStrom and 12 others like this.
  3. Jlisabell

Jlisabell Bronze IL'ite

All that I can understand from here is in another 10 years time in US, in the name of choosing money and quality of life, I will become cynical, depressed, an introvert, self centered.

Umanga and AnooSA like this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I am sorry that you think so.
    I've been in the USA for three decades and still like life. Not sure if I sound self centered though. Thats for others to say. :)

5. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

I agree that as someone said in their post.... Indians are enjoying the stage living on their credit, the western life style. Most were given good inheritance to their kids because their parent are thrifty. Also, real estate value skyrocketed, young generation is more confident on spending their earnings and not worried about their savings, thinking that they have back-up on their real estate.

My dad would treat us once a year - exhibition/cinema/woodlands restaurant. We know that, he goes out with his buddies to see movie/resultants without us. My mom accepted that, she didn't questioned him.

Now, my brother cannot go outing without his wife's knowledge. If he wants to go to a movie or restaurant, he better take his family along with him. Otherwise, he will face world war-3 at home with his wife and kids. So the expenses are quadrupled, more outings per month! I am sure that he will not save much/leave no inheritance in the future.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    sindmani, Umanga and anika987 like this.
  6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Be positive... my life here with challenges of course taught me to be independent confident strong outgoing active with excellent exposure to the outside world, rising my children without any help being able to devote more time to my family while still taking luxurious vacations saving for future and so on.

The greatest wealth is to live content with little - Plato

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    sindmani, AnooSA, madras2018 and 5 others like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I like to think of myself as optimistic, happy, helpful, resourceful, spunky. Have spent half my life in India and half in the U.S.

My folks in India think I am something to be admired and adored from afar. Never dissected that too much. : )

sindmani, Umanga, Nonya and 5 others like this.
  8. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Hmm now really curious to know what store this is?

9. Jlisabell

Jlisabell Bronze IL'ite

It’s not me trying to be a pessimist(which I am not). It was just a general observation from what I have seen here :) Hopefully I don’t become one some day though.

I grew up in a city and I love noise and crowd. Maybe in a few years, I will learn to appreciate the joy of quietness.

sindmani, kkrish and jskls like this.
  10. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Bingo! The museums, galleries and theatres(not cinema) are incomparable. My mum and grandpa were always going on about giving us exposure and took us every place they could think of; made us voracious readers, immersed us in historical experiences as much as they could in IndIa. My 5 year old already has picked up so much more that I learnt in my entire childhood about culture, current affairs, history and art because of the opportunities she has had here. That gives me pride.

I've earned well and lived indpendently in India. I've earned well and lived independently in a few other countries. I was brought up wanting for nothing. Even so, the unnecessary, mindless splurging just goes against my grain. Wherever I see it and it annoys me - don't get me started on the rich kids of instagram!