Let's Fire Up Those Neurons!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 23, 2014.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @Gauri03
    Yesterday's new announcements by The President has impacted my personal life and I am unable to think rationally. A bit shattered. So unable to focus on this puzzle any more.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you find some resolution soon.

kkrish likes this.
  3. Gauri03

For any who continue to be tormented by the puzzle, the allusion to cars in row 3 is a red herring. Look at the images sans cars. The words, numbers and acts should open up some windows!

Rihana likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Gauri03,

I got the answer finally, thanks to the clue from @PepperPot and your message above.

Gauri03 likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Gauri, can you post the answer when you get a chance? Skip any pending solutions to other puzzles. : )

6. Gauri03

Yep. Will do it by evening.

Rihana likes this.
  7. Gauri03

Answer to #7709

Defenestrations of Prague

"were two incidents in the history of Bohemia in which multiple representatives of the Catholic Habsburg kings were defenestrated (i.e., thrown out a window) by their protestant subjects. The first occurred in 1419, and the second in 1618, although the term "Defenestration of Prague" more commonly refers to the second. Each helped to trigger prolonged conflict, within Bohemia and beyond. The First Defenestration was thus the turning point between talk and action leading to the prolonged Hussite Wars. The Second Defenestration of Prague precipitated the Thirty Years' War." (source)

Row 1 --

Image 1: Pope. Holy Roman Empire or Catholic.
    Image 2: Rudy Guiliani. First name Rudolph. Also Catholic.
    Image 3: Jay Leno. Extended jaw, also known as Habsburg jaw or mandibular prognathism.

A search for catholic + Rudolph or Rudolph + extended jaw would have led to the House of Habsburg, the catholic kings of Austria famous for their protruding jaws.

Row 2 --

Images 1, 2 and 4: Scaramouche, fandango and Galileo are words from the Queen song Bohemian Raphsody.
    Image 3: Queen Latifa, a reference to the band's name.

Different combinations of scaramouche + fandango + queen + Galileo bring up Bohemian Raphsody. The entity mentioned in the puzzle was the region of Bohemia.

Row 3 -- I used car related images as a red herring to make the deduction challenging. The keywords were quite direct once you get past the 'cars'.

Image 1: Car wars. Keyword 'war'
    Image 2: A 30 mile speed limit sign. Keyword '30'
    Image 3: quite literally 'throwing out of the window'

Any combination of '30 + war + throwing from window' would have led to the 'Defenestrations'. These incidents popularized the term 'defenestration' which literally means throwing out of the window. Yes, there is a word for that!

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Gauri03,

Your puzzle is the most time I spent on solving. It looks like your puzzle and Dr.S' puzzles need at least 2-3 days, if not a week to solve. Thanks for giving enough time before posting the answer.

Frankly, I got struck in Bohemian and went in so many different directions but could not reconcile with other images. Finally, your guidance to focus on the key word "Bohemian" and @PepperPot's direction that "there is a word" resulted in me looking at a totally different direction.

Like you, I am also curious to know @Rihana's experience in IL to learn about this.

Viswa

9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

The word is not commonly used in English, except as part of a technical medical vocabulary as in "fenestrated capillary" or "fenestrated bone" (and of course in "defenestrate"). However, the Latin root "fenestra" led to "Fenster" in German and "fenetre" in French, both meaning "window", still used today in the same sense.

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

My puzzles are easier!:roflmao:

kkrish likes this.