1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Blender For Everyday Use

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Laks09, Jan 19, 2017.

1. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Preethi and other Indian brands with 110V is available now from Amazon.com. I use a Braun blender(not available now in USA) and Magic Bullet now

KashmirFlower and Laks09 like this.
  2. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

KashmirFlower and Laks09 like this.
  3. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

True!

Laks09 and JustAnotherMom like this.
  4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I have (& use) Alpina. This is a 110 version of a german/swiss grinder. Available at Amazon. Works well for chutneys, masala-grinds for sambhar/avial/koottu etc., as well as small lots of vadai-batter for making about half a dozen vadai's. The "dry" grinder can be used for spices. Not good for grinding coffee, because it comes out coarser than one would want for the traditional Madras Filter Coffee. However, coarser grinds work OK for Cafe Americano, and would be preferable for those who drink their coffee black.
    Amazon.com: Alpina SF-2815 Electric Wet and Dry Coffee Grinder with 2-Stainless Steel Bowls, Small, Silver: Kitchen & Dining

Laks09 likes this.
  5. gardeninggirl

gardeninggirl Bronze IL'ite

I bought Preethi blue leaf grinder in India which had specifications according to USA and its been more than 1 year and its doing good.

Laks09 and Nonya like this.
  6. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

Laks09, Nonya and gardeninggirl like this.
  7. gardeninggirl

gardeninggirl Bronze IL'ite

JustAnotherMom and Laks09 like this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Preethy folks - I got my mil a Preethy and it broke within two years. No amount of fixing helped.
    Stuff I did with my Panasonic jars-
    Put it in water for soaking and left it overnight
    Put it in dishwasher
    Put lids in dishwasher too(yes)
    Took off gaskets all the time

It lasted ten yrs and was still working when I gave it away while leaving for India.

MIL - Unlike me, doesn't put mixie jar in sink. Washes immediately and wipes down jar. It's bottom rubber fixture still wore off. Had to be replaced multiple times.

It stopped grinding fine without a lot of water. I got so annoyed that I just started grinding on the grinding stone while I was there. Then she got upset about me grinding on the stone and my DH was ticked off with all the mixie talk that he took me to the store and bought a replacement Panasonic.

When I got back, I bought a butterfly on amazon. I hate that thing. The jars are all plastic coated and the blades already broke twice and it doesn't grind fine.

I'm a little hesitant on trying the preethy again. I know that one was probably a lemon but still.

I could wait till I go to India so my Dad can re-wind a Panasonic to 110 for me but I kind of need one now.

I'm thinking of buying the ultra on amazon with the guarantee package. I'll review it for you guys when I get it!

Thanks all for the inputs.

9. Laks09

I have this. I use it only for small quantities of chutneys and dry grinding. I don't think I can grind coconut for curries in this. Too small.

10. Laks09

Folks,
    I bought this one from amazon and it's really nice. Stainless steel jars and grinds really well. I've not tried idli batter though. I have the ultra grinder for that!

JustAnotherMom likes this.