How To Read More And Effectively?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rihana, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Many of us have more books and material waiting to be read than we can manage to read.

Share any tips, techniques, do's and don'ts you have that help in reading more material and in reading the material more effectively, and more efficiently. Discipline strategies, how to make time, avoiding distractions, getting the gist, how to fast-forward through some chunks, and so on.

Focus is on non-fiction -- print or e-books and online content.

2. Rihana

One strategy I occasionally follow is to borrow the book from the library. A pending due date helps at times. One might argue that if it takes a due date's urgency to read the book, then, maybe the book is not interesting enough. Not so. I simply tend to get carried away by "other" possible readings, in particular, online reading/browsing ends up taking precedence over an e-book or printed book competing for the same time.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  3. Rihana

Can you please share why etc.?

I have never been able to use audio books, even on long drives when I am not driving.

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

The following are the reasons:

1) Audio gives the flexibility to do it at a time, we do something else. Listening while driving is easier for me whereas I have to be in my chair or bed to read books. I can't even read books in the airports

2) The long haul flights are so delightful when I can carry an audio book with me. It is as good as listening to the music if the content is exciting

3) Hands are free to take notes when I am listening as opposed to reading books and underlining important contents

4) Headset prevents any kind of distraction if I am not driving. Therefore, there is more focus on the content than reading, if TV is on because someone else is watching a program

5) Over a period of time, it developed listening skills for me.

Viswa

5. Rihana

Don't you feel the audio book is slowing you down? Even if it has the option to play at at various speeds?

Also, you cannot turn to a few pages ahead and peek/check?

6. Rihana

I received an offline message suggesting that I log off IL, switch off iPad, phone, computer, and try reading a book. My answer to that sweetheart: I type faster than you can read. :D

Though I do need to get some stuff done.... : ) See you later, 'gators.

7. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I had a book that taught how to read faster. Basically, it was to read diagonally instead of a straight line, registering the words and skipping of the grammar words. I will search the book and give you the title.

Searching online, I found the following posts that had similar techniques that were in the book.
    How I Learned to Read 300 Percent Faster in 20 Minutes | The Huffington Post

There are techniques but to get to that level requires a lots of practice.

KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Thats exactly how my DD reads ... got 1200 wpm in an online comprehension test .. hard to believe though

KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Yes. It slows me down but I welcome it. Why should I speed up something interesting? Moreover, whether it is scientifically true or false, I feel visual memory and audio memory are different storage spaces. As a man, I don't have too much stored in audio memory and reading audio books help me use this capacity.

Viswa

Rihana likes this.
  10. Belovedsister

Belovedsister Bronze IL'ite

What i personally do is:

Fix a certain time to read at least for half an hour every day, when you do it for 21 days it will become your habbit.

Finish all your important chores and sit for reading ( to avoid any distractions).

If you love the subject which you are reading nothing can distract you.

Keep a book/diary to note down points which you feel are important. Go through that over and again.

Read when you are alone.

These are some tips which i follow. There are more experienced members here, please throw some light!!

Nonya, Rihana and EnlightenedSoul like this.