1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Unable To Shed Weight

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by bruised234, Dec 21, 2016.

1. PRIYAJI

PRIYAJI Bronze IL'ite

Very Correct Meet9,

I have a similar experience. I had been overweight almost all my life. Even though I was into sports and used to be the most active kid in my neighborhood, I was Obese. I assumed its my genetics and didn't put up any struggle to reduce throughout my teenage. But then when I was getting ready for an arranged marriage I tried different diets and was able to shed few kilos which made me look better in my marriage album. But then I again came back to my normal diet and gained what I lost.
    I was working in software industry which meant....no physical activity, late hours, stress, lots of office parties, pizzas during meetings and so on....
    After 11 yrs of such sedentary lifestyle I finally quit for my family's sake and became a full time house wife. But nothing much changed. Actually I was taking advantage of time alone at home when the kids and hubby were away at work and school. I introduced myself to the addiction of TV. All day sitting and enjoying snacks on sofa with TV.....preparing yummy rich food for kid and indulging in it with the kid (which I used to miss a lot during my work days).....
    But then suddenly one day...don't actually remember why I made a decision to loose weight for good. I was vexed of diets which was actually very difficult for me as I had no will power. I happened to tumble upon some internet fwds on benefits of drinking water and including lemon in my diet.

I followed a simple plan and you wont believe I went on to loose as much as 18kgs in just over 45 days. It was difficult for first few days. The first week is the key. Once you cross the first week then its cake walk.

The plan was simple. ( Note: I am a vegetarian from Chennai)

1. Start your day with warm water with honey+lemon+pepper powder.
    Don't drink coffee or tea or eat anything for atleast 30mins after that.
    2. Take your breakfast before 8.30am.
    Eat anything you like as long as U eat in moderation. healthiest choice is idli or cornflakes. No need to punish yourself with things U don't like.
    3. Drink water throughout the day. Make sure the water is at room temp or luke warm.
    I used to keep a bottle of water on the dinning table and will set a target say 3hrs to finish 1 ltr and then refill it.
    4. Don't drink water when you are having your meals.
    Just have sips of water after eating. You can drink luke warm water after 30mins of any meal.
    5. Keep healthy snacks ready. Like for mid morning snack have salads or sundal. Don't wait for u to get hungry before you look for your snack. That's the weakest moment and we reach for whatever is available. So keep snacks ready. I used to prepare mid morning snack during preparation of breakfast.
    6. Have a nice lunch, don't go hungry or eat half stomach. But the thing is you need to eat very less carbs. My typical lunch will be a) 1 Phulka with lots of vegies (less oil) and dal and chaash. or b) 1 small cup rice with veg kootu + any poriyal + sutta pappad and mor. (use jeera powder in chaash)
    7. Eat your lunch before 2pm and Dinner before 7.30pm.
    8. Eat a very light dinner. Don't skip it but eat very light. Best is to have any tiffin item in moderate amount. Like a cup of upma or 1 adai/Dosai or 1 chapathi etc.
    9. Drink luke warm water 1 hr before bed.
    10. Don't embarrass yourself when in company. Don't make a sad face and say no to unhealthy items in parties or when with friends once in a while. Rather take a sensible portion with pride instead of hogging.
    11. Stop unhealthy store bought snacks, biscuits, juices, cold drinks, ice creams, kids leftovers etc.
    12. Sleep well at night. The above food and walk plan will ensure U get a good nights sleep. But don't sleep in the day especially within 3hrs of any meal. In case you are very tired on any day U can nap in sitting position on sofa or chair.

I was bored of drinking plain water in bottles all day. So I used to drink flavored water. At night cut half a cucumber, lemon and ginger and soak in 1 ltr water (or boil it and let it stand overnight). morning filter the water and fill in a bottle and used it by lunch time.

With this I used to walk for just 30mins at evening around my apartment. But the key is to maintain the momentum. Don't just stoll...it will only give you leg cramps. Walk fast. Even if you walk for 30mins u will sweat. The heartrate should increase. This will help U burn calories faster.

WIth the above plan I lost 18kgs. It melted away easily without even me noticing. I went 3 sizes down. Then I slowed down on the plan and but maintained the healthy habits. I was able to maintain the new weight with a normal lifestyle for about 2 to 2.5yrs. It was a new me with a newfound energy level.

But then we shifted to the US. Here I didn't have any much household work. No company. Cold weather so no going out of house. Yummy American treats full of butter cheese and sugar. With change in location my lifestyle and food habits changed. I have now regained atleast 10kgs in just 3 months due to being sedentary at home.

Today I decided that I cant let all my efforts go in vain. So to motivate myself I wanted to remind myself the routine I need to take up. I may not be able to walk outside as its freezing cold here so I will substitute it for 30mins of treadmill at my apt gym.

I hope you and other readers are also motivated and a benefitted with the above plan.

Good luck to all (including myself :) )

SunPa, Vennella, bruised234 and 3 others like this.
  2. overthinker

overthinker New IL'ite

When it comes to weight loss

diet >>>>> exercise

Exercise is good for health. But if you want to lose weight focus 100% on diet. You can try intermittent fasting if you want to see quick and effective results. Once you get back to normal eating pattern the weight will come back.

3. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

Dear PriyaJi,

Very nice tips. I especially agree with you on the breakfast suggestion. I am also trying, but nowadays my body hates sleep and food. Again it is not like I am not eating anything, sometimes I am cheating by eating sweets(though not much but still) and I think this is adding to my problems. I have had a very rough year and seem to be suffering from depression. One after the other, something is coming up to add to my stress and it is adding to my waistline. I can't state all my personal problems here in IL, but it is high time I built up a daily regimen like you mentioned above. Thanks for you posting. As an aside, you can try marching and climbing stairs if you have access to them nearby or in your house. My only problem is I am having too many distractions and I can't concentrate on one thing. Maybe I should inculcate more discipline and determination.

PRIYAJI likes this.
  4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@bruised234 10lbs weight gain in 1.5 months is roughly about 35,000 extra calories in a 6 week period. Translates to about 800 extra calories each day ..thats a lot.
    U need to first understand whats happening.
    1)How reliable is ur scale? Change batteries if digital...recalibrate using a known weights ..better still go to a gym or doctor and see if ur scale is true.
    2) If ur scale checks out and u have indeed gained weight u need to understand how u got here in the first place.
    Track every little thing u put in ur mouth. It easy to say ..few sweets here and there...some sweets are really really calorie dense...for eg 1 rasmalai will set u off 120-150 cal...Keep a personal diary which only u can see....be brutally honest ...log log log...log everything.....u will see a pattern.
    3) About fit bit..use it for tracking steps and miles..not sure how reliable the calorie burn indicators are. U can never out exercise a bad diet. The key to losing weight is making sure u eat less than u burn. Every little thing. Exercise is good for overall health...but not critical for weight loss.
    Good luck!

5. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

You are right, I should be maintaining a log, be more disciplined on that front. I started on it but stopped after 2-3 days, maybe I should continue.

6. justanothergirl

Try myfitnesspal.com it has calorie values for most desi foods..and its very easy to add a recipe for ur customized home cooked meals.
    The forums and the folks who post there r pretty helpful. Blunt ..but helpful.

7. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

No JAG, you are right, I have been hogging on sweets thinking I am eating only one per day. That's still a lot.

8. justanothergirl

Its ok @bruised234 ...happens to most of us at somepoint....but u have already identified the problem...thats a battle half won :banana:.
    Stick to any resource (MFP or something else)that u find easy to log all u eat(yes even the 10 cashews /one tiny orange u picked up from ur snack bar at work) first. Do not account for and eat back any of ur exercise calories.Not until u have perfected the art of measuring and weighing ur portions.
    Good luck and let me know if u need any help with anything. Join us in the lose a kg each month thread if u think u need buddies!

9. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

that sounds like a good idea :)