Sad Prejudices That Indian Moms Face At The Workplace

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Needtobestrong, Jan 19, 2017.

1. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

when they go on leave.
    i don't know if he gave less priority ones to pregnant colleague, to ease her load. others involved in her work, only when she is not available. the team was there for 5+ years and he has a good plan set-up for himself.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Completely agree. In India relying on daycare is not possible, except few in cities. And traffic takes at least 2-3 hours in cities per day.

Needtobestrong and madras2018 like this.
  3. blissofmylife

blissofmylife Silver IL'ite

I agree that pregnancy may derail an employee, but making an assumption that every pregnant woman is going through those issues is unacceptable. I have seen many women, who have absolutely no symptoms. There are so many who are extremely sincere and dedicated towards work. The problem, is generalization. Majority of Indian managers succumb to this generalization. Also, asians have inherent competitive nature buried in us. We are so attuned to proving ourselves, at all times, knowingly or unknowingly, co-workers make it difficult for the women around them.

I have seen cases of men being classic examples of time mismanagement and a lady co worker being extremely diligent with her work. But, preference is given to the man who can stay back late hours.. ?!!! Just venting..

4. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

I totally agree with @Rihana

Except for the last scenario, it is hardly prejudice against woman. Yes life is demanding for the pregnant woman or one with infants. It is great if the workplace offers some conveniences that lessen their burden. That is why there is mandatory maternity benefits . But come on , the bottom line for a corporation is profits. If the manager cant make things easier for one employee at the cost of affecting the output of his team. It sucks that US is one of those countries that doesnt have mandatory paid maternity leave .

It is this expectation that the pregnant woman should be given special consideration that leads some to think like in the scenario 4. I am not justifying them. Quite honestly, if the manager is good, he/she can judge from the output. Equal wages is about equal pay for the same job, then why the expectation of special consideration?

sindmani and Rihana like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

First part of above quote is about unacceptable generalization. The second is generalization about Indian managers, Asians, and indirectly non-Asians. : )

What is wrong with proving ourselves? In fact, each day at work is about proving oneself, isn't it? A life changing event like becoming a mother is huge by its very definition. Expecting work life and progress at work place to be oblivious of this is unrealistic. Unless she has support like a stay-at-home husband or parents/in-laws or rich enough to hire a housekeeper, work hours and efficiency and output are going to be impacted when child is small. Depending on her marriage and who earns how much, how important is each one's career, the husband might also slow down at work.

Again.. there are always the smooth talkers and colleagues with other "skills"/connections who get away with doing less work and get credit for others' work. The diligent lady and inefficient male worker is another example of this workplace challenge/unfairness.

About the preference to who can stay back late hours -- sometimes it is simple stupid thinking that "late hours" means "hard worker", but sometimes it is true that an employee who completes work and leaves earlier than the rest as a routine can be an inconvenience. Prime example being a group in which major work takes place between 4pm and 6pm. In such places, preference is given to male or female who can stay back late hours over the male or female who has to leave early.

We had a thread a while ago about working women who insist on being superwomen at work and home. "From the scratch" cooking, exclusively breastfeeding, celebrating all festivals elaborately, not outsourcing household work.. and so on, even if they can afford it and husband/family is fine with it.

curiousgals78 likes this.
  6. blissofmylife

blissofmylife Silver IL'ite

@Rihana You really got me.. :tongueclosed::tongueclosed: Loved your response. But, not for the argument sake... I Am not saying, we shouldn't prove ourselves.. I am talking about people, where the definition of proving oneself is staying back late hours.. Are they really being productive? No one has an answer to that..

Needtobestrong and Rihana like this.
  7. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Thanks all for the replies...I read all replies , but I'm unable to reply individually to each..
    It's been an interesting discussion...
    While I agree that one needs to work hard to prove themselves, and companies and managers want efficiency and profit...my concerns are only for those working moms who are skilled and good and efficient in work but are not given any support like wfh or flexi timings and are thus forced to make a choice between career and family..
    There are ladies who give their 100% while working from home or flexi hours while there are some who just hang around office for long hours and impressing the manger while staying late and creating an impression of being efficient while doing nothing productive..

8. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

in india WFH is not a norm and many will misuse even if given.

Any project manager will look for the impact on his team.. If the team is going to be impacted within few months , it is quite natural you would assess risks and take a decision ...even we will do the same...

The official leave policy is 3 months with full pay , in US they don't have any official maternity leave policy ..the woman or the organization is supposed to buy an insurance to fund for the leave and is max 6 weeks and gives only about 60 to 80% of pay.

Many organizations in India have an unofficial 6 month policy , it involves planning and hoarding you leaves so that you can use it when you need it most and there is often the unpaid leave. everything will not work as per our convience and schedule ..if you really think 6 months is good enough time to plan baby care issues ...

We need to look at the brighter sides , plan well.

Unless you need bed rest in pregnancy it is good to be active and most organizations provide bus services which is safe travel for pregnant woman,

I and many of colleagues worked till a day before deliveries , some went to delivery rooms from office directly ...

Instead women should ask for day cares at offices and strive to get more facilities in offices like break milk pumping room ...

curiousgals78 likes this.