Finest Posts - January 2017 Nominations

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Viswamitra, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@madras2018,

Thank you for nominating my response Hullabulloo Over Jallikattu. Following the footsteps of Cheeniya Sir, I gracefully and humbly accept your nomination as appreciation of an invaluable member of IL. As Cheeniya Sir suggested, a member can nominate anyone's post or response as he/she chooses.

However, as part of the decision-making body for selecting the Finest Narration and Finest Post, I will most definitely exclude this nomination for consideration. But I am very grateful to you for considering this response as worthy of nomination.

Viswa

madras2018 likes this.
  2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Affected very badly due to nazar/dhristhi of freinds, acquintances,relatives..
    I like this OP about Nazaar, Dhrushti and the notion of how evil eye cast on people, could make them suffer. This has been around since ancient times. Cleopatra believed in it, and many (including The Bard) concede that is how Caesar and Antony, the great Romans, came to their ruins.
    I often place a black dot on the cheeks of people I love, so that in spite of their outer (and inner) beauty, they'd come to no harm because of their talents and achievements. Modern computers offer us this nice ASCII symbol to pass along to virtual friends who are just so darn gifted, so that they can paste it on their own cheeks:

3. Viswamitra

bmaquarius likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I would like to nominate this post by @SGBV What Is Your Dream???? It touches on a touchy : ) aspect of parenting. Parents want to support their kids in whatever dreams the kids have, but sometimes, it clashes with the realities of life. SGBV took a simple example of a little child who says "I want to be a garbage collector" and described this dilemma well for cases where a much older child wants to pursue a career that parent does not favor for good reason.

SGBV and momsky like this.
  5. Rihana

My next nomination is this easy to read take on Jallikkattu by @GoogleGlass A Not So Intellectual On Jallikkattu & Tamil Unity I commented there also that I had been looking for this kind of simple description. Then, I wake up in the morning and see thread has crossed many more pages. My thread on 'how to read more efficiently' was just in time. : ) GG's thread has many members posting posts that nicely cover all aspects of the Jallikkattu issue for a "know nothing about it" like me.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    GoogleGlass and jskls like this.
  6. Rihana

This post by @soulful Would You Do It? gently examines the strength of our convictions that no job is too low. Very well narrated, and many quotable lines in it. "your ego has a supernatural ability to defend your lousy pride....." I think I will be quoting some of these when needed!

soulful likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

@Rihana,

Thank you for nominating this invaluable post What Is Your Dream???? written by @SGBV. Didn't we all go through what she was describing in her post? She has written a very honest post and practical way of looking at it. My approach to my son's professional ambitions has been, "Let us shape it as much as we could and bend without breaking it". It is a fact that each life comes into existence with its own ambition to be fulfilled and it might be totally unconnected what parents do or just be aligned with the parent's profession. We come to know about it only much later in life. I have a lot to write and I will respond directly in the post itself.

Viswa

SGBV likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

@Rihana,

Thank you for nominating @GoogleGlass' post A Not So Intellectual On Jallikkattu & Tamil Unity. It looks like he spent considerable amount of time studying the subject at length as described in your response. I very much enjoyed reading the way he had grouped all his points to explain why it is banned. I am very glad this popular post has been now nominated. GG is a talented writer and when he presents the facts, it lingers in the mind for a long time.

Viswa

9. Viswamitra

@Rihana,

Thank you for nominating @soulful's delightful post Would You Do It?. You are right. The whole post was a wonderful realization to open the eyes of many. There are some wonderful sentences in this post that we all can go and read many times.

I know this is a column to appreciate the writer but I would take a minute to appreciate you for finding those gems and bringing them to FP section. I have read this post only now and will definitely give my comments in her post.

Viswa

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @Rihana for the nomination, and good comments about my thread.

Thanks @Viswamitra sir for your wonderful feedback here, as well in my post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.