1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing Bindi With Western Clothes???

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by anika987, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Ankiita

Ankiita New IL'ite

But isn't it part of our religion? Bindi definitely symbolizes quite a lot of religious things. Mangalsutra again is just tradition. What I was thinking is that Are we forgetting this because of Fashion and living in Western Countries and mimicking the west? It might be the reason why I feel ackward and especially typical like they say 'Chandu' in a way.

BTW are you in India or in the West somewhere? Don't others judge you or give you evils? I don't even wear a saree or a dress because people look at me weird.

2. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

Yes, bindi reflects Hinduism and it increases beauty ...I never think myself without bindi..We have been living in USA from long ago and I wear saree, salwars too. I got the questions on bindi from small western kids otherwise I never get weird looks.. I get compliments only.. I have one philippine friend she is so fond of our sarees and dresses..

anika987 likes this.
  3. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

4. Ankiita

Ankiita New IL'ite

5. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

Agreed but she didn't wear it on a shoot. It's casual wear worn while she was traveling. Proof that people actually do wear such combinations casually.

If you are still searching for commoners, then many in this thread have already replied and justified their style.

I do use a tiny bindi exactly like shraddha's in the picture. Another mango person of Indian origin for your data collection:)

anika987 likes this.
  6. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

I happily and proudly wear Indian wear on day to day basis along with bindi. I have seen many girls/ladies wearing bindi on western attire (esp. Western India/South Indians). I don't feel odd or out of place instead enjoy the compliments I receive for dressing Indian.
    On western attire, though, I personally don't like to wear bindi but I do accessorize with Indian ornaments.

anika987 likes this.
  7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

This is an old post though. But the poster @anika987 is still active here, so I am giving my 2 cents on this.

Wearing a bindi with a modern dress is not my cup of tea. It doesn't go well with my face and body and the way I dress.
    However, it does go very well with some people, specially my colleague, who is a few years younger to me wears kumkum in her forehead, and come to work with modern professional cloths. Unlike you, I do not see her as a person with less confident or cultural shock. Rather, she is too confident to balance both without giving up her personal desire and identity to wear something she likes to fit in.

She moved to Australia recently, and did not change her dressing.