Super Tips For Sooji Halwa

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Agatha83, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

There are many you tube videos and recipes on the internet, showcasing the making of Rava Kesari(sooji halwa). But most of them do not have the correct measurements, and a little difference here and there, could mar the wonderful taste of this easy to make sooji halwa. So here I come along with a few tips-tried and tested.

Roast the sooji well, in 3 to 4 tbs of refined oil or ghee, till the sooji gives a nice aroma along with a change of colour from cream to light pink. Better to use a non stick pan, which reduces the amount of ghee used.

Sooji- 1 cup

Sugar- 1 cup or 11/2cup according to how sweet you want the halwa to taste.

Water- 4 cups of boiling water.

Ghee–6 to 7 tbs

Always add boiling water to the roasted sooji.

Make sure that the sooji is completely cooked before adding sugar, because once sugar is added the sooji will not cook.

After making sure that the sooji is well cooked, add sugar in the same cup you have measured sooji.

When the sugar and sooji mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan, add melted ghee finally. Add fried cashew nuts, raisins, powdered cardamom and give a final mix. Those who prefer colour can add a pinch of kesari colour dissolved in milk and add to the mixture. Your yummy kesari is ready.

anu1215, pumpkin01 and coolgal123 like this.

2. crainandrea22

crainandrea22 New IL'ite

Hey,

My recipe for sooji halwa is little different and even easy.

Heat a pan and add 2-3 tbsp of ghee. As it melts, add 1 cup sooji and roast it until it changes color. Make sure it's done evenly, so stir well. Take the sooji out in a bowl.

Now add 2-3 cup water in a pan. Also add 1 cup sugar and 1-2 tbsp ghee. When the sugar melts completely, add sooji and stir continuously until it comes into a solid state. Stay little away while adding the sooji in the water because it may jump out in form of drops.

Serve sprinkled with chopped almonds, cashew and shredded coconut.

3. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

@
    crainandrea22

My recipe is also very similar..
    1.Heat pan / kadhai .. Kadhai is better . In a separate burner boil water in 1 pan .
    2. add 2-3 tbsp of ghee.
    3. After it melts , add few raisins , once its pop up , take it in other plate.
    4. add 1 cup sooji and roast it until it changes color.
    5.Now added boiling water in sooji . Also add sugar and dryfruits ( raisins , cashew , almonds ) . put some cover over pan / kadhai .
    After 2- 3 mins , sooji will absorb water and stir it till ur desired consistency .
    As it tends to get thicken once cooled , so decide ur consistency.

Agatha83 likes this.
  4. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Nice tips @Agatha83 and others:beer-toast1:

I've been trying this ever since I saw tip in a blog and it works out awesome every time, family loves it :)
    The measurements go like ths

sooji - 1 cup
    sugar - 11/2
    ghee - 1/2 cup
    water - 3 cups
    cashews and raisins

The first step makes all the difference..

1. roast 1 cup sooji till it turns golden in 1/2 cup ghee minus a tbsp, for roasting the cashews and raisins.
    2. Boil 3 cups of water in a pan with pinch of salt
    3. add the roasted sooji to boiling water and let it cook for 5 mins in closed it.
    4. add sugar and keep stirring. dont worry if u see any lumps, it dissolves on it own..
    5. add the roasted nuts and food color
    6. turn off the stove when u see it leaving pan.
    The consistency is perfect :hearteyes:

5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear parineetha,

Many of the cookery blogs give the advice of 1:2 ratio for sooji and sugar, which I find will turn the end product too sweet. So 1:1 or 1: 11/2 will be the right proportion where the sweetness will be just there to enhance the final taste. I am yet to experiment the making of pineapple kesari which is served in many marriage receptions. Thanks for your nice FB.

Agatha83

6. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @crainandrea22,

As you have rightly said the kesari starts thickening when cooled, so we have to be careful in switching of the heat when it reaches the right consistency- when the mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan. Thanks for your valuable FB.

Agatha83

7. TaneeaGupta

TaneeaGupta New IL'ite

Thanks for wonderful recipe. I will try it soon.....