How To Celebrate Pongal In London?

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by bravo1809, Jan 12, 2017.

1. bravo1809

bravo1809 Bronze IL'ite

Hi All

We are from Hyderabad living in London. My son is 11 years old. When he was younger we used to do bhogi pallu for him with friends here. At the moment we have very few Indian friends. How do I make this festival special for him? He is at an age where he is interested in Indian culture. I thought of doing bhogi mantalu in garden on sat mid morning? Please shed few ideas (and also husband working on sat). Tomorrow we cant do much after work and school. So main days are sat and sun.

Thanks in advance

2. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

Maybe make a DIY kite and help him fly that? Guys usually enjoy kite flying during sankranti.

Do you keep dolls? You could arrange a few and call friends over for a get together with different varieties of pongal and vada for menu.

If possible go and catch up balayya 100 or mega 150 :)

Bhogi pallu, rangoli, dolls, bhogi manta, garelu, ariselu, movies , cow pooja and kite flying are the things people do in India also for sankranti:)

Happy Sankranti to you and your family:)

bravo1809 likes this.
  3. bravo1809

bravo1809 Bronze IL'ite

Hi dnormx01

Thanks for your reply. I liked the DIY kite idea a lot and ofcourse mega 150. We are thinking sunday morning kite flying, lunch and then mega 150.

Happy Sankranthi to you and your family too :)

dnormx01 likes this.
  4. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

Oh super! Let's do kummudu this sankranti!!! Cheers:)

bravo1809 likes this.