Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Inspired by kaniths' idea that we should bring in new terminology to denote our recurring themes, here is the first phrase: Epistemic Scepticism (ES)

If a discussion drags on and someone remarks, "What is the point, we will never know the answer, there is NO definitive answer, there is no right or wrong answer, this discussion is futile," then poke them, "You just pulled an ES."

A discussion is not to resolve ideological conflicts but to reconcile or get acquainted with new tools of inquiry.

There is abundance of material on the net on ES including a well-researched wikipedia article but this is the only one minute flash explainer I could dig that I know our busy puzzle-solving, positivity-beaming, gabfest chatters can afford to spend on. Link: here

Get smarter in online discussions.

kkrish, Rihana, kaniths and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

I was taking a contrarian stand to balance the dialogue.
    There won't be much fun in collective bashing of capitalism ;)

kkrish likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Not your fault Dr S. They had punch cards and tape reels when you were growing up. Cassette tapes are relatively newer tech for your generation. Wait until you discover solid state drives! Boy are you in for a treat! :D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    kkrish, sokanasanah, Rihana and 2 others like this.
  4. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Here's the sticking point. Is that collective wisdom 'just' because it was popularized by the majority? Or is that wisdom 'just' on its own virtue which was recognised by the majority. The obstacle for ethical democracy is that majority reeks of popularity but not of principles.

Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  5. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Here's another German cant for you.

Einmal ist keinmal meaning "once doesn't count". This phrase was popularized in Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

If something happens once, it's okay because there is nothing to compare against and assess its virtue. But if it happens again, you have a benchmark (advanced cf. Nietzsche's eternal recurrence). Pat your hubs with "Einmal ist keinmal" if he forgot to wish you today but if he repeats next time ensure to roast him in the oven :oops:

Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Hmmmm I think collective bashing did happen! *wink wink*:yum:

kkrish likes this.
  7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Lol. Modji has her eyes only on my hair! :laughing: I have a nice hair. :blush: Dont think I would want a 200$ 'talking' hair coach to keep it that way. Also, Ahem. Minimalism! ;) Speaking of which I think I pulled the most minimal anniversary greetings today of all the ones posted, esp...
    But you get brownie points too, for being the most creative. :sunglasses::yum:

kkrish likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

It is collective wisdom derived by the collective conscience of everyone without any coercion. It has to be voluntary more than forced. In my view, virtue is something that is universally acceptable even by someone who doesn't meet that standard.

kkrish likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana,

Many more happy returns of the day. I know you remain exactly the same as in the photographs taken at the time of the wedding when your hubby changed a lot. But that discussion can wait until tomorrow.

Viswa

Laks09, Rihana and kkrish like this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Got it.