Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Happy anniversary, Mr & Mrs Rihana! May you have many more. :beer-toast1:

Rihana likes this.
  2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How very Randian! But does this imply there is no objective morality? Virtue as its own reward? Or is this specific to collective morality and not individuals?

3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Nietzsche said it better in his critique of christian morality!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  4. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

I think that passage speaks of the invention of morality. Was it created by the "strong" to oppress the weak or the "weak" to imprison the strong under the subterfuge of ethical code.

Morality merits actions depending on who devised it. Though it is perspectival, still it can claim to be empirically objective, as in, a universal law can be enforced but the justness of such iron-clad rubric can be disputed. Coming to the immanent "objectivity" of the morality, I don't know. The grand philosophers have struggled to understand whether morality should be a personal and subjective creed or a universally applicable law; a numpty like me can only scratch the surface and lick the filings.

Unless morality can be theorized and proved like a mathematical equation, we can only have a constitutional turnover but never any physical falsifiability. That passage piqued be because if "morality" is fictitious to control the masses then how do I justify my ethical principles to be imperative and binding.

5. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

I think I will buy The Pig That Wants To Be Eaten and self-evaluate my morality and determine my Moral IQ.
    That reminds me of an ethical diner or a dinner in this case.

“What's the problem Earthman?" said Zaphod, now transferring his attention to the animal's enormous rump.
    "I just don't want to eat an animal that's standing here inviting me to," said Arthur, "it's heartless."
    "Better than eating an animal that doesn't want to be eaten," said Zaphod.
    "That's not the point," Arthur protested. Then he thought about it for a moment. "Alright," he said, "maybe it is the point. I don't care, I'm not going to think about it now. I'll just ... er ..."
    The Universe raged about him in its death throes.
    "I think I'll just have a green salad," he muttered.
    "May I urge you to consider my liver?" asked the animal, "it must be very rich and tender by now, I've been force-feeding myself for months."
    "A green salad," said Arthur emphatically.
    "A green salad?" said the animal, rolling his eyes disapprovingly at Arthur.
    "Are you going to tell me," said Arthur, "that I shouldn't have green salad?"
    "Well," said the animal, "I know many vegetables that are very clear on that point. Which is why it was eventually decided to cut through the whole tangled problem and breed an animal that actually wanted to be eaten and was capable of saying so clearly and distinctly. And here I am."
    It managed a very slight bow.
    "Glass of water please," said Arthur.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

kaniths likes this.
  6. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Has anyone peeped into the gadgets from Consumer Electronics Show 2017?
    Here's a fancy contraption: CES 2017: Smart hairbrush listens for breaking hair - BBC News

The Hair Coach, which will retail at just under $200 (£160), contains a microphone, gyroscope and accelerometer among other sensors. It also vibrates if you brush too hard. The brush is one of a handful of new beauty gadgets that have been announced at this year's CES tech show in Las Vegas.The brush's in-built microphone records the sounds of breaking hair. The firm says the other sensors are used to build up a profile of the way the owner looks after their hair. The brush then shares the data via wi-fi or Bluetooth to an app. The software uses the information to assess hair quality and monitor the effects of different routines - as well as recommending products.

I don't know if my wispy hair will withstanding such microphone, gyroscope and accelerometer strapped revolutionary brush.

7. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

spinach pakora, salad, onion fritters, samosa, aloo 65, moong daal, rajma masala, bangan bagara, paneer bhurji, lemon rice, szechuan fried rice, shrikand, ras malai, kulfi and besan laddu.

Has your hubs surprised you with this feast on your 20th Anniversay?
    (Twenty years! atleast paneer bhurji?)

Rihana likes this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations! Wishing you many more! Did you watch the wedding tape? Rewind those touching parts and revisit?

Rihana and KashmirFlower like this.
  9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

What's a 'tape'?:thinking:

SunPa, Rihana, Gauri03 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Some of us don't digitize wedding tapes because we forget.