1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help To Start Solid For 7 Months Old Baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by kirumom, Dec 5, 2016.

1. kirumom

kirumom New IL'ite

Hi,
    i need guidance to start solids to my 7 months old DS. I've checked many sites n consulted 2 pediatricians. One of them said to start 3 times meals a day with rice dhal kichadi, orange juice n fruits. I've tried to give rice dhal kichadi instead of rice porridge which he took past 3 weeks. But from the beginning he pooping once for 2, 3 days. Recently he pooped very hardly. Then consulted another ped for vaccine. He suggested to give solids twice a day only. N also said no for rice. He told to give rice porridge with fried gram powder or mashed fresh peas upto 8 months. Its very new to me. What i have to do now. I couldn't decide anything. Pls guide me. Alrdy he having constipation n less sleep. Peas wont raise gastric problems? Now his menu is idli for breakfast n rice porridge as plain or with carrot / apple. Pls help me

2. kirumom

kirumom New IL'ite

And my MIL insist me to start to give health mix porridge that is sathu maavu kanji. Is that digestable to him now?

3. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

I have no idea what it is. But it should be good if they say so. You can opt for it based on the ingredient list it has.

I shall give the list of what solids I started to my kids.
    • Fruit purees - Boiled apple, Papaya, mashed Banana etc
    • Vegetable Puree- Boiled Carrot, potato, sweet potato
    • Rice Rava cooked with ghee - Soak rice and dry them spreading on a cloth, dry roast and grind in a mixie to fine rava. Cook this rava normally and feed it with Ghee (till 8-9 months, No dal...Just rava)
    • Dal and Rice Rava - Same procedure as above for rice rava and for Dala rava- cook both together and feed with ghee.
    • Ragi (salt/sweet) - Mix ragi in small glass of water to avoid lumps and add it to boiling water and cook it till concentrated.Add pinch of salt if your kid likes it or pinch of patika bellam/candy sugar if kid prefers it to be sweet.
    Will add if i remember anything else

drdiva likes this.
  4. kirumom

kirumom New IL'ite

Thank u for the reply. Actually sathu maavu means mix of sprouted grains like rice, wheat, ragi n some other millets

5. AmbaaC

AmbaaC New IL'ite

I will be following this thread also. My son is about to turn 7 months in two days and he is not liking solid food. Our pediatrician said do rice cereal mixed with breast milk once a day then after two weeks add a veggie puree meal then add a fruit puree meal. Baby only eats a tiny bit of the rice cereal and doesn't poop for two days. The only thing he has seemed to like was tomato chutney from a dosa. I don't know what to do to get him eating solids!

6. chitra001

chitra001 New IL'ite

What should I feed my 10 month old son . Some say I should ensure that I don’t give him anything with added salt or sugar as it will affect his kidneys . Where as in some forums they say they feed their child food which adults eat like dal etc ! I am confused.

7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I used to take out a portion of dal before adding salt and spices. You can also give steamed and mashed vegetables without any salt or seasonings. Also yogurt.

8. chitra001

chitra001 New IL'ite

Thank you Malstrom , for your prompt response. We feed him oat meal with organic low fat yogurt ( total sugar6g ) once a day and store bought organic veggies mashed for babies twice a day besides milk . How should I now do it going forward.

9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

That’s great. You can also give mashed cooked chickpeas, lentils, black beans, greens and fruits.I used to put out a plate of cooked peas and corn removed from the cob when my baby started reaching for foods. When she started teething we got one of those mesh bags and put chunks of fruit/berries inside it so she could safely gnaw on it.

10. chitra001

chitra001 New IL'ite

Thanks Malstrom . Will definitely try it out .