1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

Started my day by kissing and cuddling lovely kids, asked them for walking, which they denied. spent 30 mins with them while having my tea. I never miss this early morning chit chat. And today I noticed that my son foot is longer than mine, took a snap :grinning:.

Dosa chutney kaaram done. Lunch everything still baaki.

2. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow..its so motivating to read all the posts here. I am glad this thread is active again with lots of information.

I had to go out on saturday and returned on sunday afternoon. Saturday made bf, cleaned stove top, bathroom, and left. Came back around 4 PM yesterday. Took rest for about 45 mins.

1. Swept staircase and mopped outside as it was so dirty with mud after the rains.
    2. Made tea and kept rice in cooker.
    3. Had tea, munched some spicy peanuts and folded clothes (there were so many of them, every time I tell myself from next time onwards I should fold the clothes as when I wash and dry but I never do it, hoping posting here will give me some accountability)
    4. Arranged clothes in cupboard and other stuff (I have a separate basket for hubby's vests/socks/handkerchiefs). This helps a lot as he can just pick up from there instead of searching or asking me).
    5. Peeled onions, garlic for gravy/chutney. (Didn't peel and keep extra)
    6. Fried onions/garlic and made red masala for chicken curry. Made extra masala and stored in fridge.
    7. Fried onions/garlic/tomato and made tomato chutney. Stored in fridge for today's use. Dinner is a challenge when I have little time and feel tired to do the prep for chutney/side dish.
    8. Made coconut paste and stored in fridge.
    9. Made rasam and chicken curry for dinner.
    10. Washed the vessels I used so far.
    11. Had dinner, watched tv for a while, and slept.

3. chithirainilavu

chithirainilavu Gold IL'ite

Wonderful updates.

Take care Kkrish mam.

Welcome Coffeecups . Nice username

So nice to read this thread and be motivated

Mon-fri weekday routine is so packed with kids school and hub office routine.
    04.30 to 9 (morning) - my pooja activities, kids tiffin, breakfast, lunch cooking, washing vessels, drying clothes, folding clothes, my walking etc.

9 to 1 - Mix of my time and finish of pending house work, Cleaning and arranging one cupboard
    (minimum), my kids make the house a mess and then i relax. (stretch is required for my back)

Again 1 - Lunch, around 2 kids back from school and need to be on toes, check their studies etc.

0.430 to 7 - their classses , park, my walking and catching up with friends (stress buster)

7.30 to 9.30 - any pending in kids hw, dinner, getting ready for next day , vessels washing, winding up kitchen

So weekends i have made it bit relaxing - get up late, Some extra cleaning (no hurry ), cook a nice brunch, afternoon nap, evening park or outing

This sunday went for a book festival, after a long time. Felt good , as i love reading

Made friday as a no rice day. Generally other weekdays will be sambar, rasam and a vegetable and Rice for lunch

This Friday was tomato besan omlette for breakfast , Phulkas, snakegourd - channa dhal kootu and cauliflower dry for lunch , and white sauce pasta for dinner
    I felt so relaxed and found it as an extended weekend,

Planning to continue the same

HAve a great week ahead girls

Keep posting

shara

4. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

a

5. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

@chithirainilavu Something wrong with the keys
    Wanted to say - ur idea of keeping one day rice free is good. Liked it:thumbup:

kkrish likes this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@justanothergirl
    Yes, JAG, this will help them when they have to live with a roommate starting at their junior year in college. Where my sons went, they were allowed only two years in the college dorm. After that they had to live on their own.

On the flip side, many days I would do the chores, seeing how tight my children's days were. You mentioned projects. Yes, in high school they will be weighed with projects (each subject), tests, quizzes, and competitions (need these to add ot the college applications) that I would feel sorry for them.

So, depending on the situation I would go easy on them on this. Yeah, parenting - we should know when to be firm and when to be easy.

Erm..promise not to laugh! When Mr. K proposed he forgot that his m-i-l is living in the same home. So the date turned out to be just a dinner outside, with my mom as chaperone!!:crybaby2:
    I really thank my m-i-l for bringing up such wonderful son; he showed such grace and magnanimity that I went into introspection.

7. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

[QUOTE="kkrish, post: 3915906, member: 13117

Erm..promise not to laugh! When Mr. K proposed he forgot that his m-i-l is living in the same home. So the date turned out to be just a dinner outside, with my mom as chaperone!!:crybaby2:
    I really thank my m-i-l for bringing up such wonderful son; he showed such grace and magnanimity that I went into introspection.[/QUOTE]
    Lol
    I can so understand this feeling
    Sometimes looking at my h, I too go into the introspection mode:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Between how do u wake up at 4.30 in the morning??:shocked:
    The cold climate at my place, makes me want to sleep till 8 or 9o_O

kkrish likes this.
  8. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi KKmam, Shara, CB, a big hai to all...:hello:

I am here in IL after a long time....

Due to some health issues, I stayed back from my normal duties...

Recovering slowly, now hired maid for mopping and vessel cleaning, so no much home chores, increased in weight as of my inactivity....
    Now from this month concentrating more on cooking( before that hard to cut veggies, rolling chapathi etc) So much of works are pending at home and I became too lazy too,
    I hope I vl post daily or at least once in two days....

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Good morning
    @chillbreeze .. this thread making you accountable? It certainly does to me too:).

@coffeecups .. it is cold where I live too. Guess my interest to learn is the driving force.
    Besides, I am a morning person and I love the early morning quiet hours, welcoming the sun. The dawn is mine and only mine that I cherish.

10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Very nice to read updates.

Guess, it is time for a recap of time spent in the kitchen...
    Cleaning... major cleaning of small areas to be done on a weekly basis. Kitchen being the most used room of the home freqient maintainence is required.
    Cooking...
    • Planning ... meals, grocery inventory.
    • Organization... i addressed this earlier, must be easily accessible in the sticky thread.
    Organizing, groceries and utensils strategically reduces a lot of rework, and time spent on searching. There should be ease of "flow".​
    • Prioritization . ..
      • 1. Using vegetables that would spoil soon.
      • 2. Dishes to be cooked first that allow down time, that can be used to accomplish other work.
    Example... making a dry curry that needs continous attention, while a liquid dish which can be on the stove unsupervised for sort periods. ...
    Start the baking first and using the baking time to cook something, or clean up.​

Yes, cooking is not a random job, that we can just do any which way. It is a production process and therefore be approached properly. The more we apply planning, organisation, and prioritization, we will become more efficient. The more efficient we become, the less tired we will be.
    Yes, I have been trying to use what I learnt in Lean Six Sigma.

Will be back with more later.