1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Any ILites in and around Middleton/Madison, WI

Discussion in 'Indians in Wisconsin' started by JustMyself, Jun 19, 2014.

1. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello all,

My husband's job may take us to another part of US, we are yet to explore. Am curious to see if there are any iLities living in and around Middleton/ Madison, WI.

I hear it is a quaint little place, and ofcourse heard it would be cold too. Am not new to snow, as I did spend few years in the East Coast.

Please reply if you live anywhere close by.

We are planning to move Green Briar Apartments. So if there is anyone out there have lived or known anyone living there, would love to know more about the community and neighborhood.

Am definitely looking forward to watch the snow-fall again, ofcourse warmly wrapped in a fleece blanket indoors :)

Cheers,
    JM

Lavanyalahari likes this.

2. lalithabrahma

lalithabrahma Bronze IL'ite

I am not sure about your current status.

If not, google and find Indian Grocery stores/Indian Restaurants/temples/Indian Association nearby. Visit these places. Talk to the owners and ask them exactly what you want. As Indians visit these places, these organization/owners/managers have a good idea of where they live and the facilities. They are helpful.

1 person likes this.
  3. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Thanks Lalitha for your reply.

I did check around before moving, starting from city-data to madindians

Just for everyone's benefit, this is the first set of details that I gathered so far about Madison, WI
    There are amazing restaurants and grocery stores. Just a quick summary
    1. Bombay Bazar, Swagat Indian grocery store, India House etc.
    2. Good collection of Indian restaurants. Tested Swagat buffet. Awesome food. worth every penny
    3. madindians.com --> website for Indians at Madison. They have every detail possible, including cricket teams. Great site to start checking
    4. Green Briar Apartments --> Above average, and thats about it. But has good amenities at a nominal rent and great location, makes up to the community looking a little aged. 98.9% occupied by Indians. (not many ILs I guess, have to mention about IL so people could connect more when they move in Winter). Chose this, so our in-laws could have some companians during evening walks. Amenities include, gym, pool, tennis court, and a great park across the road. opted for "luxury" model which has W&D.
    5. Hospitals & Clinics --> St Marys, Dean clinic seem to be the starting point. Check what suits your insurance.
    6. Temples --> They are more like "staged" temples. Am not very pious. So the few occasions, I make the trip, would prefer to go into a south-indian looking temple with its gopuram etc. Yet to go to one here. Will update later.

Please add more details relevant/useful.

Cheers,
    JM

hikitty, dimhere and mbharani like this.
  4. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

More additions to people who are interested.
    1. Woodman's is a good american store. Trader Joe's has a store near university (glad !) Make use of the Fresh produce market on Saturdays near the Mayor hall. Amazing collection!!! closes by around noon.
    2. Istanbul market near bombay bazaar serves halal meat (lamp/goat/chicken etc).
    3. Oriental Market close to Madison downtown has some fish. Fresh fish market in mineral point rd also has fresh fish
    4. There is a new Hindu Temple in Fitchburg, and a temple in Pewaukee (canteen open only on Sundays / very few days) - so if you are someone like us who plan a temple visit and lunch at temple, call up in advance. Temple in paewaukee was very good.

5. yashaswinie

yashaswinie New IL'ite

Hello there, I'm a new IL member, and we live in Waunakee, WI (close to Middleton/Sun Prairie/Madison) :) We moved here in August 2013, but haven't been able to connect at all with the local Indian community here. We had a baby last year, and that has kept us really busy. But we're hoping to change that now. Now since our baby is 10 months old, I am hoping to be able to connect with others here to make friends and also be able to arrange for play dates with others who have similar aged (if not exact) children.

6. hikitty

hikitty New IL'ite

Hello, So have you moved to Greenbrair ? I live here too!

7. Lavanyalahari

Lavanyalahari New IL'ite

Hi, are you still in Greenbriar...