1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is Your Take On The Issue Of Leaving Elderly Parents In Old Age Homes?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by SGBV, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I firmly believe that an abused dil should not be expected to do 'seva' to the abuser.Nor should she be judged or made to feel guilty.

I also believe that in laws/parents should not be expected to provide child care or nanny services ....and they should not be judged or made to feel guilty for it.

I believe children should not expect parents to leave them property /money that they earned. And parents should not make property for children and then expect to be taken care of financially by the children.

Don't force your children to have big fat weddings and don't marry your children into 'good prospects' by giving big dowry....then become financially dependent on children.

2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

YM, these are not the only scenarios that lead parents to be financially dependent on children. For many middle class parents, just the burden of living pushes them into this cycle of having to make constant choices and compromises. I am so thankful today that my parents/in-laws had government jobs that pays them a pension. But I have other family members who did not have that security and were stuck in this middle class rut of wanting to provide what was best for their kids at that point, so saving for their retirement/old-age was the last thing on their minds. I do not believe they did it with the expectation that their kids will take care of them later on.

SGBV, to answer your original question... like many have said... there can't be a one size fits all approach to this issue at all. It depends on each person's experience, values and a whole bunch of other things on each person's take. For me personally, I can never imagine my parents or in-laws living in an old-age home. My parents instilled in me a pretty strong belief that such a situation is never justified, no matter what. All the elder people in my family have been fortunate to spend their last days in the care of family members (and this has not been without financial compromises and other kinds of adjustments every had to take on), so this is what I have grown up seeing.

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

True....
    but those other scenarios are also a part of the problem.

4. Lakshmi6197

Lakshmi6197 Gold IL'ite

I have always maintained that i have been and always will take care of MILs physical needs. what constitutes emotional needs is debatable. i will make sure she has enough food, home, medical treatment, clothes at least as good as we have if not better. but we keep emotionally away from her. she has consistently been the trouble maker. my daughter is growing up and now she understands things and is at an impressionable age. A woman who could drive me to contemplating suicide is not the poor weak woman you are talking of. and yes after marriage i figured out other women who were in the same condition. believe me it takes monumental self control and forgiveness to keep any relationship in these circumstances. women in your country live with their mothers and yes you had a tough time. but once you live with the same MIL in the same house and can mantain sanity, you would be able to comment in the cruelty of the DILs. if my MIL lives as my neighbor i have no problem. but she wants to live with us and rule over us. SIL will make sure that this happens. now tell me a solution. i really want to go back to india and live in peace. i will be eternally obliged.

NeetaR and Vaikuntha like this.
  5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

1. work also can be addictive, especially ones which are which needs concentration/brain work like IT, finance. We have to know and be trained to draw a line to separate work timings and family timings.

It starts really early like all the time studying and going to tutions and family members not disturbing in the name of he/she is studying (applies to boys mostly when we grew up), and telling oh he studies all the time, let him take rest or watch TV. so they are used to that type already, life is not studies/job, and we can't change them now.

2. And some conveniently escape the family side stuff in the name of job. my dad and H come into to this category.(H doing 3 jobs now, which shouldn't be at this time, as kid is small (we waited for a baby several serval years), and no financial crisis to stop living life and earn and in his case it is not earning, it became pride for him and in social circles he can't talk anything other than this, he has some spending issues too)

6. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I don't think most of our parents/in laws are open to old age homes,for most it amounts to abandoning by children.

Our generation is open and may explore it in future.

The question should be to children not spouses , if children want to take care of parents they will do that irrespective of spousal objection.

sindmani and SGBV like this.
  7. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

Based on the few decades of experience and wisdom that I have accumulated, and seen many real life examples from close quarters, including my own family, this is my take:

a) It is not possible to care for elderly population by their children who are simultaneously aging. The emotional angle aside, the care of aging population is becoming very complicated as diagnoses and diseases are getting complicated. People are living longer with complex diseases and not dying peacefully in their 60s as it was 2 generations back. Even the most skilled nursing and other staff struggle to care for this population with all the amenities and technology in a nursing home or assisted living facility. It is very difficult to have this set up at home (handicapped bathrooms, special feeding, 24 hour monitoring for falls, concussions, etc.)

b) Keeping a 24 hour caregiver is an option but very expensive all over the world and the care is not consistent or reliable. Caregivers come and go if hiring in a home from Red Cross. If they are caregivers in a facility, if one leaves, there is always another one.

c) For as long as the parents do not have special needs or require skilled care, an option is to live close by so we can maintain our privacy and lifestyle yet visit them everyday and share life with them. I know many families who live this way. Rent upstairs and downstairs flats, adjacent flats, etc. so they have 2 kitchens, two lifestyles but still just a door knock away.

d) Lastly we should not compare how someone took care of us 50 years back or how someone took care of their parents and in-laws 50-100 years back. Times were different, life was simpler. Now life is a lot more complicated, a lot more expensive, jobs are insecure unlike those days where our parents and grandparents worked and retired in same company all their life. Today every day we wonder if we will have a job or be fired. Cost of living is exorbitant that we can barely feed our own family.

e) Intelligent parents who read the paper, watch TV, and expose themselves to these changes should already be prepared to plan their retirement and old age and sickness wisely irrespective of whether children can care for them or not. If they fail to perceive the changes in their surroundings unfortunately they may be in for a shock if their children are genuinely not able to care for them tomorrow.

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your question.
    My bro was also similar to your H. He used to spend looooooong hrs at his work place and private practices during weekends. Now that he chose to change completely the moment he became a dad for the first time.
    Since SOL could not manage the baby all alone, my bro decided to cut down his office time significantly. For that matter he has changed his primary job and kept an assistant for the PP.
    He will do the same should his mom requires any services btw.
    Justin that.. if there is a will, there is a way.
    Sadly not every man thinks that taking care of kids or parents is their duty too. They easily dump this responsibility at their wives.

FYI- my MIL abused me and my newborn son during the first 2 years of my marriage. This whole forum know the story.
    However that is not a good excuse for me to dump them in old age home at anytime.
    They abused me because they did not like me.
    They abused me because my H let them abuse.
    They abused because I was way too much naive; hence I couldn't protect myself.

However they can not abuse me anymore. Because I am bold/strong enough to protect myself. More than that my H is on my side now.
    So if need arises, I will have no problem in hosting them permanently.
    Anyhow they live in our next home only.

In most of the cases, the irresponsible husbands are the culprits. They are the ones, who let their wives to be the victims of their parents drama.
    If they could stand by their wives or by justice, how come others could abuse their wives?

In my circle, no one has sent their parents to homes so far. It is considered very bad. We are all raised to believe it is our responsibility to take care of the elders. We call it good manners.
    No gender bias here. Both DDs and sons have the responsibility. However it is never an easy task. It has its own compromises and adjustments.
    But it is not something optional. JMHO though!

9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

This is not a place to discuss personal stories. Since you have questioned my rights to start this thered I think it is better I share a bit about my background here.

- My MIL is an Indian
    - I lived with MIL until 2012 and moved to our own home (next to MILs) in 2013.
    - Is it not the norm in my country that DDs can live with mom after marriage. But if DDs want to keep their mom's at their homes no one could object it legally.
    - My sister lives with her in laws anyway. But she is happy
    - FYI my MIL drove me mad and throw me out of her home when I was full term preg. Following that there were so much drama, leading me to attempted to commit suicide.
    Due to the poison I took that time, I am permanently sick now. I will be on medication till death.. forget about the side effects now.
    These are not imaginative stories as this forum knew it very well.

Now that my MIL can't control my life. Because my H won't let her do that as before.

But that alone not a good excuse for my H to stay away from his responsibility as a son to his mom.
    If he chose to punish his Mon for the mess up she created to our marriage, he must then punish himself first. Because it is him who failed miserably as a H to protect me and the marriage. Because I lived in that house hoping HE would protect me there.
    Now that I live in MY house and no one can abuse me here.

Think about this...

10. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Dear, If this is true than you inlaws are monster and they have no right to be taken care of. They should be in old age home only, not with their DiL n son.
    leave alone old age home ,In india such inlaws place is in jail . torturing DIL mentally is a crime in India.
    After abuse , if DIL chooses to forgive her inlaws, its her personal choice. It shouldnt be expected from all the DILs as if forgiving abusing inlaws is the right and moral thing to do. if abused DIL choose to send her PIL in old age home, nobody should have any right to call her names. Here in laws will reap what they have sown.
    If we do wrong things, we have to face consequences, this should be true for old age people also.
    JMO..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.