How Has Diwali Changed For You?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Amica, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

A family get together is such a beautiful way to celebrate. And what a change from childhood!

Happy Diwali to you and your family, @Caide! :)

Caide likes this.
  2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

3. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @Amica ! Wish you a very Happy Diwali too ! Just wrapped up my snacks preparation and started sharing with friends :)

4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

maggi32, jskls, KashmirFlower and 2 others like this.
  5. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

Thank you @Amica, you're so sweet. Wishing you and your family a very happy Diwali:partyhat:

KashmirFlower and Amica like this.
  6. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

I will be sharing them virtually too. But need my DH's help ! (Technical Novice I am :oops:)

Amica likes this.
  7. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Amica likes this.
  8. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Amica , happy Diwali to you and all ILites!

Amica and momsky like this.
  9. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

When we were very young 4 -7 years, my dad used to stand with us and guiding and showing how to keep festival crackers and fireworks, flowerpot only dad used to lit, my sister was lot brave than me , she also tried. Those years were best, we used to see calendar and getting excited several days beforehand, new clothes used to give lot of excitement, mom used to do home cooked sweets for all occasions, now also she does, but very less quantity. (We did home schooling for few years and started school very late. Those were happiest years for my family. Homes very far from one another, very small town , I always remember them as happy days. Dad coming for lunch again from evenings he was there, if it is getting late we used to stick to Windows to see whether he is coming , my parents gave very happy childhood for us.)

Later years my dad stopped crackers thing with us, only we kids, my elder brother bossing me and my sis. Now it is mostly like some other day, being occupied so much.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2016
    coolgal123, maggi32, periamma and 5 others like this.
  10. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Such a fine thread!
    Back then, the festivals used to be in air. We would make list crackers and shop and it will get divided. The budget was big debate.
    Clothes were bought. Rangoli was made, I loved the heaps of colorful rangoli on market streets.
    Lights were hung. My mother tried her best...but we didn't do any major cleaning. Our neighbors used to brag how they scrubbed their floors. No tiles back then!
    Diwali ki safai! was a big phrase thrown around. People will visit other people, no calling ahead needed.
    We bought stuff from outside, since we were not very good at cooking, and getting a cook was never thought of. We would buy very limited quantity of mithai, mixture. Only a few neigbors will exchange the sweet platter.
    We had a dog, he would get scared of sounds.
    The next morning it used to feel to quiet. We used to have a long long vacation with lots of homework- that used to in the back of mind- like a kill-joy!
    Lights would be taken out to used next year. Other than, most of the things were one time use only- clay diyas etc
    My mother used to worry about diyas in time, I used to help her.
    I loved the diyas, and collecting them next day and keeping some while throwing away most. I am remembering things as I write this post.
    Wow, how memories are made of most insignificant things!
    I am missing my childhood Diwalis!!