Learning Another Language

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SGBV, Oct 27, 2016.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I live in a country, which has 2 official languages, along with English as a 3rd language.
    The people who live in the north learn only 1 language, which is a minority language. However, they demand all the official documents should be in their language as theirs is however an official language.
    They refuse to learn the second language of the country, although this is the language which is widely used all over the country.
    More than 70% of the people speak this language only.

On the other hand, the majority has never seen a reason to learn the other minority language. They actually have no real reason to learn, as they have everything available in their language anyway.
    Now many of them are living in the down south.

The people who live in the middle part of the country speak both the languages, despite of their ethnicity.
    They somehow grew up in a multi ethnic environment, thus study the other language since childhood. Rather it has become a necessary in their region to study both official languages. So, they don't bother what language the services are offered, as they know both.
    Even though, the majority language is widely used.

Now that I have a friend, who is from the north. He puts an effort to learn so many languages, like French, German, Hindi etc... but he refuses to learn the majority language of this country. He says, he is arrogant, and he never wanted to learn this language. He puts a condition saying, if the majority makes an effort to learn the minority language, then only I would learn it.
    The thing is, many of his people, from the north have practical problem with this language barrier. Since the majority language is widely spoken.

These young chaps are really confusing the youngsters who wants to learn all the languages. I believe language is a bridge, that can all these nasty gaps.
    I was able to meet with both extremists and become friend with them only because of my language ability.
    If you want to ensure peace and reconciliation in this war affected country, I believe one should come forward to bell the cat.
    It is easy if minorities start the effort, since they have a need. But they can also make it as an advantage to meet and communicate with the majority, who are distanced with them due to this gap.
    Learning a new language is always an asset.
    There are plenty of jobs for the bilinguals here.

Currently I am arguing with this guy, who is taking a pride in calling himself an arrogant in this case. But I call him a fool.

Just a vent

sindmani and ChennaiExpress like this.

2. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Oh wow! Some people are averse to learning language due to ideology.

I knew someone who said speaking in Hindi is below her dignity.

People are so emotional and it affects whether they want to do something not.

It's unfortunate this person doesn't want to learn the language. Hopefully over time he will have change of ❤.

I really believe learning new language broadens one horizons.

SGBV likes this.
  3. whistle

whistle Silver IL'ite

@SGBV ,
    We all are victims of perspectives. We all make quick decisions based on the limited knowledge we have. When our knowledge widens, our perspective changes.

I can deduce a few things from your post.

Your language: Sinhala
    Minority language: Tamil

It will be difficult for everyone to get a perspective unless you come out with this information.

Tamil is a classical language. One of the oldest languages which is spoken today. I have never seen anyone passionate about their language as the tamil speaking people. There have been people who came to tamilnadu ( from europe ) and made it their passion to learn and spread tamil.

Sure everyone wants tamil speaking people to learn the majority language. Like hindi in india and sinhala in srilanka. The common phrase is, we should have a common language to speak which should not be english as it is a non-native language. But the tamil, refuse.

I have long wondered why. But later I knew why.

Already there is a common toungue, - English which everyone is supposed to know. They think, now, I am asked to learn the second common language. My own language will be pushed to #3. Initially all government text will have 3 languages. But over time, citing constraints, #3 will be dropped as everyone knows the #1 and #2 languages and we only have so much space in brochures and bill boards.

He is not against other languages and in fact he passionately learns them. He is against people shoving the majority language down his throat in the name of majority language.

Its painful to see the death of a language. The passionate tamilians realize that their language will die in this rate. They refuse to let it happen. When a language dies, so does its rich culture, tradition, history and literature.

Do you know that in ancient tamil texts which are thousands of years old, still read, there is no discrimination against men vs women? There is no mention of religion or castes. If possible read the translation of the famouse tamil book - thirukkural which is a collection of 1000+ sonnets. Very concise, still relevant and the only book a human being needs to follow and live a rich life.

By refusing to learn the majority language and learning another language, the person choose his language to be #1 and english #2 and whichever other languages they learn will get a #3 or a #4 and so on.

I see exasperatedly when today's kids in tamilnadu can't speak few words of tamil without adding filler english words. An american friend was watching a tamil program on TV. He said he could follow everything as the people speaking were using more than 50% of words in english.

Its people like your friend, who give me hope. By taking a stand for his language, he will pass on his language to his children. He will create awareness with his friends and family who speak his language on the importance of the language.

I laud your friend. I hope more people learn tamil and not dismiss as a minority language. A little known fact is, if you know to speak tamil well, you can speak any language. There is so much of richness in its alphabets. In the likes of english, your toungue will never touch the middle or later part of the roof of your mouth. When your learn to say the word Tamil correctly, ( spelt "Thamizh" in english though there is no equivalent english alphabets to type it ), you will know its richness. Its grammar and its pronunciations are something to be marveled at.

Ask your friend, why he likes his language so much. What are the wonderful things in his language. When you show interest in his passion, he might come around and listen to your perspective too.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    SGBV and vaidehi71 like this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Language as communication and language as an instrument of political power are two different things. The story mentioned above plays out in every state in India, in one form or another.:wink1:
    Here's one example from a few years ago: If only Jaya had some of Amitabh's finesse.
    Nowadays, with powerful computing, the marginal cost of providing multi-lingual forms and information is quite low. The political battle is a different beast however. Even in the United States, there is often great consternation about 'those Mexicans' not speaking English or about bilingual education.
    And our own Sahib overlords managed fine with mulligatawny and patchouli, while fostering a local elite comfortable in English with an ever weakening grasp of their own languages.
    Language can serve to unify as well as to divide.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  5. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Limited time, so keeping my answer short.

Their love for language and land overrules their needs. For those whose needs are more important start the effort.
    If you genuinely want to solve this issue with this guy, you should meet in the middle.

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

True.. it seems you too have rushed here to make a quick decision.
    I am not Sinhalese for your info.

In SL there has been communal clashes between two major ethnicities since a very long time.
    One is Tamil Hindus and the other is Sinhala Buddhist.
    But there are other communities living here.
    Muslims, Christians, burgers, and Malays.
    They are often bilingual but they often study in one of these major language depending on which state they live in.
    They would also speak their mother tongue like French, Portuguese, Malay at home.
    They never identify themselves as Tamils or Sinhalese.
    They form the most wealthiest community in SL.

There is another unfortunate group, which is Tamil by ethnicity and primarily Hindus originally from India living in the hill country. They are so poor. They are neither considered Tamils nor as part of Tamil liberation group by the northern Tamils here.
    The other Tamils really discriminate them and never ever be vocal about these exploited poor people's rights.

I always wonder why Indian Tamils never speak up for them. Rather they support those who discriminate their own bloods.

While agreeing to your point on Tamil language, I don't think all the Tamilans are passionate and happy about their language as others.
    Some even think speaking in Tamil is an insult.
    They teach English and other languages to their kids but not Tamil.
    Which is very common among SL Tamils in Canada and Europe.

In SL English is just a 3 rd language. All the primary and secondary education must be in local languages. All the services in local languages. No one suppose to know English unless they want to leave the country or work with private companies.

No need to shove a language down his throat. He can get all the Govt services in his language. If not he can rightfully demand for it. However, practically he or other fellow Tamilans should visit the capital city Colombo (SO is a small country) and get other services like market, taxi, hotel.. which are primarily available in Sinhalese. In that case, he will have to feel like handicapped and isolated.
    Knowing your sister language is an asset in many ways. It doesn't mean you will have to give up your mother tongue.

If at all Tamil dies it is because of the Tamilans.
    When 2 Sinhalese meet they speak in Sinhalese. When 2 French meet they speak in French. But when 2 Tamilans meet they speak in English. If one of them speak 'pure' Tamil, They are embarrassed.
    They are embarrassed of their dress code and culture and think western culture is best. No one shoved these thoughts down their throat but them.

That's why once the world's kingdom of Tamilan is now stateless. I mean no country for Tamilan.

7. Lakshmi6197

Lakshmi6197 Gold IL'ite

I have seen and heard 2nd generation tamils also talking in tamil in europe. And i am talking of people who settled here and never went back. We get sri lankan groceries. Have a beautiful temple where archanai is done exactly the way it is done in india. I find them so comforting here. They are more hindu than the hindus who have come here for professional assignments. Did i miss something? :rolleyes:

vaidehi71 likes this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Yes.. seriously you are missing the majority... a few Tamils are really like that only.
    They wear traditional cloths, eat traditional food, and speak only in Tamil at home.
    My H's relatives and their close friends are the same.
    But not many of them.
    Forget about the ones who are in Europe, the ones who reside in the home country chose to speak in Eng if they are in Metro.
    Hard to find whether they are indeed Tamils by the way they dress up.
    Now I wouldn't blame them. They are just normal people just like us.
    My point is why on earth they have concerns when they are suggested to learn the other language?

If their aversion is due to the past violence, then we must do something towards reconciliation.