1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do I Deal With It

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sweety127, Oct 28, 2016.

1. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Dear friends
    Long story short am back to my job location along with h and mil..mil is unhappy with me due to delivery related dramas and me not listening to her endless advices reg baby..so a drama happened and we stopped talking..it's been a week..she told she will go away if we hire a maid and cook..fine I told then don't complain when chores are not done..
    Now scenario is she does everything including washing baby clothes and i take care of baby..the worst part is she cooks for me and i feel really uncomfortable to eat it..strange thing is earlier i used to make chapathi for dinnner in roti maker for me and h...now she makes that as well..what would you guys do in such a situation?

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I'd suggest just continue taking all the help you can get and chill. Once the baby has settled into a routine and you get to sleep a bit in the night, do contribute. take care.

sweety127, Akanksha1982 and SGBV like this.
  3. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

its her choice not to hire a cook n maid, so let her deal with it....I understand she doing all the work is making you feeling uncomfortable but just hang on there for some more days....she will soon come around...

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Just enjoy this time OP.
    Your baby is growing fast....this time won't come back.
    If mil wants to work...let her,unless she is really over worked.
    Soon you will be able to help out.If you feel you can make the rotis again...start doing it.Tell her you want to get back to doing things again.
    You can wash baby clothes in the washing machine . Just add some softner .
    Get your husband also involved in taking care of baby. It is important that the father also gets used to taking care and the baby is used to him taking care.It is very important for a working woman.

Bubbles, sweety127 and Akanksha1982 like this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

There are 2 possible solutions, if your MIL needs help at home, but you (as a working new mom) can't offer any...
    1) Arrange for a paid helper (maid/cook/nanny) to replace your role as much as possible
    2) Make your husband share the chores with his mom.

Ask MIL and H to sit down and figure out which is the best option.

Maternity breaks are to spend max time with the kid. Also you may focus on catching up your office work and training the kiddo to manage without Mom. Like using breast pump and training kiddo with a bottle, sleeping time etc..

Bubbles and sweety127 like this.
  6. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Thank you all wonderful ladies for replying..the actual problem is she does not talk to me and informs son that food is ready.everything in measured quantities in cups..she is of the opinion that I eat all the vegetables and healthy stuffs so husband is left with nothing..even chutney is served in a cup...if extra dosa is needed she asks son..if I want he informs.she also hates when I make juice for myself..she complains to son that I am selfish and make for myself and not for hubby..h would have already told he doesn't want so I don't make him..
    earlier we had a maid now she is angry that we did not invite her to my home during my post partum days..my parents managed everything single handed with 3 maids and a cook..we all spent quality time with each other and bonded well with baby..now just for opposing sake lady is saying no to cook and maid. .so I told do everything but don't blame me..a cold war type of situation with she saying am having head weight blah blah..I hate eating what she makes but eat because I don't want to slog in the kitchen instead spend my time with my baby.also its my home and i pay for almost everything... .any suggestions?

7. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

And h he doesn't even lift his plate..vomits seeing baby poop..idiot.doesn't expect me to do it either..he has a mom to do everything...and after a divorce threat from my side he is ok now..cleans our room and helps me out and supports me..mil is v angry because of this as well...she wants her son only to eat thats it..

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Why are you behaving as if you are a guest at in laws' place?
    It is your place, and it is your right to live there. Above all, you are paying your bills.
    Ask H whether the food is ready, if you are not in talking term with MIL. Ask him to check whether his mom made enough for all the 3 of you. If you need more, ask H. If he wants to stand by his mom, he must work hard to make you comfortable with it. Don't feel uncomfortable for being rude. Because it is their choice. They made this choice to serve you, instead of leaving this duty to a paid helper. Let them serve you until they are done with it. Then go for a maid.

Ok, do your share of baby stuff. At the same time assign certain duties to your H. If he feels like vomiting, let him find an alternative method to do it. If son can't handle, let mom handle it. It is not your mistake. Why feel guilt for it

Bubbles, sweety127 and guesshoo like this.
  9. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

You have your priorities right. Spend time with your child. Unabashedly ask for more if it's not enough or just go and get it yourself. Don't wait for permission. Or react to your mil's tantrums. Make yourself what you want without any compunction - everyone has to eat and it isn't a sin for women to eat well and to their choice. If your MIL wants to baby your husband, let her.

Mine tried being overbearing and I simply said, "he is an adult. Why should I do that for him? am I his mother? if you want to baby him and embarrass him, feel free" Then I ignored every other taunt or faces she would make with just a roll of my eyes. If I'm making some tea or juice or coffee, I'd ask if anyone wants. of nobody did, I'd make it for myself anyway. If she accuses me of being wasteful, (breathing itself might be considered being wasteful) my response would be an irritated what nonsense or how old-fashioned. being dismissive didn't change her views but at least made her shut up.

I'm glad you stood up for yourself and now can see a change in your husband. Keep at it. Remember you can't change your mil. you can keep her nonsense at bay with your attitude.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Bubbles and sweety127 like this.
  10. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Thanks a ton sgbv and guessho..
    She makes certain quantity divide into three and fill the cups..so whatever is cooked is over with that..even if h asks he is told its over..that's it..planning to start eating salads after somedays..she and son are rice people but i don't even eat a cup of rice but if I eat something healthy she can't bear that sight..even if she has fever she takes curd and eat it if I eat.it..
    She is also not ok with me bf my baby as sil was not able to..she tells my daughter wasn't able to how could you? Comments on my daughter comparing it with sil daughter as to how puny she is because of no bf...
    Praying god for inner peace with such mean minded people