1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is Your Take On The Issue Of Leaving Elderly Parents In Old Age Homes?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by SGBV, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Another controversial subject is probably....the desire to live on and on (or the desire to keep loved ones living on and on)irrespective of your physical and mental state .

I don't want to be fitted with a pace maker or revived and put on a ventilator at ninety.
    When I can no longer take care of myself physically or mentally...I would like nature to take it's course naturally . Give me pain killers and let me go peacefully with dignity.

2. Lakshmi6197

Lakshmi6197 Gold IL'ite

:worship2::worship2::worship2:
    Tv serial rules:roflmao:

I think i need to watch "kyonki saas bhi kabhi bahu thi" to get a grip on my MIL. Never had time. But now i have all the time in the world :cheer:

sindmani likes this.
  3. Lakshmi6197

Lakshmi6197 Gold IL'ite

Desires - insatiable desires for clothes, jewels, land, money, cosmetics, phone, tv, microwave, mixer grinder, kitchen dibbas - endless list, even the coffee glasses are "mine".....

And my family - my son, my daughter my my my... but work is "yours" :eek:

Initially i thought there were some mental health issues as "mine" is an obsession. Now I know better. :biggrin:

Durga18 and Rihana like this.
  4. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Thats provision is also there in indian culture, called as vanprasth, from 50 years to 75 years, before sanyaas aashram...where you suppose to give up the control of household for next generation while spending your time in pooja paath and sprituality while living in same household only.
    :grazy:

sindmani, yellowmango and Lakshmi6197 like this.
  5. Lakshmi6197

Lakshmi6197 Gold IL'ite

There are very few people who are takers of this setup. And those who do, have at least a semblence of peace in their house. It would be wonderful if more people were open to this idea :angel:

coolgal123 likes this.
  6. yellowmango

I have for the first time in my life started watching one serial called"Kuch Rang Pyaar ke Aisse bhi".It is like watching the relationship forum on screen.:rolleye::sconf:

NeetaR, Lakshmi6197 and Rihana like this.
  7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Hi guys...
    I am on vacation and travelling constantly. So I am unable to respond here.
    Please continue to share your opinions.

PS: This thread is not a sermon about how DILs should take care of their PILs.
    Elders are not necessarily PILs all the time. Your own parents are also elders btw.

Also, it is a big think to live on their own when the elder parents are physically capable. If they live as a couple, there is no question about being lonely either.

The question comes during their widowhood.
    It is not easy to handle loneliness alone.

Finally if someone has any questions to my capacity to write here about elders/PILs, FYI I have had my good share of in laws problems in my marriage.
    But that's not an excuse for me to force my unwilling PILs to a home.

Also lets not stick to elders home in our discussions.. I feel people who live all by themselves is also a concern. Skype time and bank deposit is not they really need from their kids.

No.. I am not these elders advocate.. this is just an open discussion. Let's agree to disagree

KashmirFlower likes this.
  8. yellowmango

What if the elderly are happier living on their own for as long as they can?

A widow in my husband's side of the family chose to live with her widower brother instead of her two sons. They both take care of each other .

She has fairly good relations with sons and dils.(from what I know) Both families have very young children.The lady in question is the the quiet peace loving type and finds it difficult to be around such small naughty kids.

This is also another option.Siblings choosing to come closer after all responsibilities of family are taken care of.That way they get to live with family their own age....specially if they lose a partner.

sindmani, Sparkle, NeetaR and 4 others like this.
  9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

The issue is not about whether elders should be taken care of by the children....to me its the lack of alternative
    When women started working outside home and kids opted out of joint family day cares sprung up as option for child care..it is reasonable even when its not perfect...but we dont have that option for elder care. The options when they exist are pitiful or are unaffordable.

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

That's perfectly fine. Their willingness matter.
    If they chose to live alone and have companions then what is the problem.

As I mentioned earlier, there were women who remarried at their old age, some chose to move in with their friends, siblings and some stay alone quietly. That's their choice.

Some afford good retirement homes and some prefer living with same age group.

But some are unwilling and are afraid of their loneliness.
    Some don't afford quality retirement homes.

Come on... to be honest I am talking about the elders who live in the charity homes with poor facilities because their own children's ignorance.

These charity homes are never undercrowded.
    Just visited one such place hence this thread.

KashmirFlower likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.