1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do Parents Love Their Children Equally?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Sparkle, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Not juts children and parents talk, enabling siblings to talk about how the parents treat them and the favouritism is important. An article, slightly off topic but talks including parenting styles: How Your Siblings Affect Your Success According to Science

Another that kind of convey that having favourites is not too bad when done right: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/04/04/when-parents-have-a-favorite-child/

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

The worry is the perception…. equal is trivial to measure fair is subjective.

Sparkle likes this.
  3. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Unconditional love looks like a one-way street now. A child can spend/use the parents resources any way she/he wants to. They are kind of enabled to be entitled. The same cannot be said of a parent. The parent is greedy if he/she wants the same entitlement from their own children.

SGBV and justanothergirl like this.
  4. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

so in this case you can see, so many factors here, Normally we tend to give weight-age to our factors more while parents are looking at factors from both of siblings. besides parents are different individuals than us, so they think differently from us. So what is fair as par them, may not be fair as par 1 child.

parents who do distribute their property(or do not leave any will), normally it is said that they should have made a will, now they have caused feud between the siblings.
    if they do not give property to children and donate it, then also you know not all children are going to like it.

Wish if people are able to separate love and money.
    my point is that even if after try being fair , appearing fair to children is not that easy, unless children are ready to give their understanding to their parents. when children say that my parents had been fair to all, this achieves with the maturity of parents and child both. Now question can be how to make our child more mature so that they can understand other POV too.
    As a child i have seen clear cut favoritism among boy and girl to the extent of depriving the girl, but its a cultural issue.and it proves that parents are not next to god, they are very much human being, prone to errors and little selfish too. But apart from that i never felt that parents love somebody more than the other. Liking can be more for one. some parents like docile child more , some like naughty one. But that doesnt mean they love anyone less. JMO.

kaniths, Sparkle and Rihana like this.
  5. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Yes dear, in case of parent-child relationship, its a one way street only, because life is one way. My parents loved me unconditionally now i can not love them back same, but yes now i will give the same love to my children. Thats how it goes.

SGBV, guesshoo and Sparkle like this.
  6. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

This is the blame game. Its kind of the parents fault to enable children to play the blame game instead of taking responsibility on their own. In our culture, the blame goes to the parents easily... why did you give birth to me .. its your mistake.... you did not get me educated in so and so way...you did not get me married in such way......parents did not split property correctly...almost everything is to be blamed on them. Not sure if parents blame something on children too. May be when they are old... you are not taking care of me.?!

True, its not easy to be fair. How the child and parent can act mature towards each other and avoid conflicts in the future is what needs to be figured out here.

There are also other cases like mother doesn't like a child because of his/her colour, there are children born from a unhappy marriage and the mother is unable to love her children or simply because she is not able to get the attention she needs through the child. At some point, the pure love some mothers have towards her baby in her womb starts fading away. Or is replaced by negative feelings.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I've mulled this over and have been wondering about your original question even though I have just the one. I felt my parents were rather even-handed with us. My sibling is a happy and well adjusted adult too; so they must have done something right. We were never compared and my mum claims she could see from the very beginning how we were very different people. Us siblings have had our share of run-ins with grandparents though because we've felt discriminated by them due to age/ gender/ colour/ ability etc. Never so with our parents. So without much personal experience, here I go!

This is quite a complex question and answers aren't quite cut and dried. Parents' love is open to interpretation. How do we define equality in love first of all?

From the very beginning, each child is a different individual. Little but individual. With their own particular quirks and personalities. If a child's personality clashes with a parent's personality, could the parent be prone to imaptiently looking favourably at the easier child? Choosing one child over the other? It could happen easily today with all the demands on one's time - quite often parents don't seem to stop and think.

I've seen numerous older siblings - even if just 4 or 5 be expected to act more responsibly because a younger, more vulnerable baby has made an entrance. It's not fair that the older child has the burden of acting more responsibly than his / her get demands just because of the baby. A one year old snatches away the 5 year old's toy and the 5 year old isn't allowed to protest but be a good brother or sister. The child will and does find that treatment unfair. And it is. Wouldn't this make the child think the parents love the other one more even if that weren't the intention?

Also kids have different abilities. I know of lovely parents of 4 who spent a lot of money on the first one's tuition because she needed extra help. The second was close in age but very bright - whizzed through school and uni; scholarships and all. They sat the two of them down and explained they weren't being partial but they were going to furnish the second one's first flat as they'd barely had to support her monetarily all those years. The parents from their perspective were being fair. Now I'm not sure how the kids saw it - would the first born have felt discriminated against because her disability wasn't something she could help?

Parents have to provide a secure and safe environment as required by the child to thrive. They have to learn to relate to each child individually. Give each child some quality time individually without interruption - work it into the schedule. It takes time work and a lot of organisation perhaps to figure it all out, strategise and implement.

Beyond this, after all that effort, it is possible that when the child grows up, their choices being be their own, are something you directly disapprove of! (my 5 year old's dressing sense is like that now. She loves different colours put together; she looks for colours not on her already jarring ensemble to pick out accessories - even insisting on wearing different socks and shoes each foot...)

The point to understand is that they have to live their own life and while they grow up, it is the responsible parents' job to understand and nurture them each as a seperate entity, to be kind, confident, functional and productive members of the society. To this end, they need to provide what each child requires to thrive. How can anyone figure out if the love is equal or not when it could be so varied? I find it baffling.

guava, SGBV, justanothergirl and 2 others like this.
  8. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for the very thoughtful and detailed response guesshoo!

Equality in love IMO is not sharing everything in 50-50. There should be chances of getting heard from both sides, coexisting with each other, feeling respected etc. Children feel the need to voice their thoughts out, to be heard, to exist with their family and siblings and they feel the need to be respected too. Putting it in practice is very difficult.
    Instances: A 5 year old can talk and a 1 year old cannot. The parent is the voice of the 1 year old. This can play well for all of them or make the 5 year old think he/she is ignored. Just as a newborn is brought in to the house, a lot of older children feel they are second in their parents eyes. Some parents do it well, they make the newborn welcome too and they make the older children feel safe.

Its a challenge to stop and think these days and which is what is attempted through this thread. Children observe what makes parents happy. And they do it to impress the parent all the time. Its the parents responsibility to let this not grow into their adult years. A constant need to impress parents and failing at it will lead to frustration and eventually hatred.
    There is also a case to case scenario. A child who imitates something the dad does which the mom already despises will be very hard for the mom to handle. Its fairly easier to handle a child who acts out of his/her own will.

It will and it is the parent's responsibility to use appropriate language to correct the children. Such a small incident can have a lifelong negative impact on the child's self-esteem. With more children, the responsibilities and challenges are more. Reasons like couples are very much in love, we already have one child...he/she needs a sibling...are not anymore valid to have more children. What needs more importance is if the parent can do a good job at raising one or more children.

This is a special case. But what if the second child felt good about the parents helping monetarily but also felt that parents compensated for their lack of love and attention over the years through money? The very moment anything disposable enters the picture, its makes the ground shaky.

The very reason sons are blamed for not caring for their old parents and daughters are kicked out of home in our country. Its a thin-line. Loving the person and loving their choices. Some parents can hate their choices, still love them and coexist. Most cannot. Because its all seen inside one big box called love.

And be open to the fact that they can turn into not being the one the parent wanted them to be. Love for a child should be purely because they exist. Not around how or what they should become or not.

So why is it hard for parents to say that they do not love their children equally? But differently? Why not be open about it?
    This kind of makes me want to rewrite my question in my OP to "Can parents love their children unequally?".

9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hmmm. Haven't thought that far yet but I agree with you. I don't think I want either one to worry about taking care of us. I don't think there should be a guilt associated with moving us to retirement homes or assisted living facilities as well. It's good to talk to them while they are still young adults and we are still able to make such decisions.

I agree with this. Our respective spouses stay out of what happens with our parents and their finances etc. We chime in when asked and mostly just agree with the other so mom/dad never gets differing opinions on anything.

I didn't intend to be Moping Myrtle, but, if it helps, why not!

Definitely. Thankful to God for the million little things that I take for granted. That little guy has made the rest of us better human beings and the three of us always talk about how much we have changed for the better after him.

Even parents are human, even we make mistakes. I'm sure there are those who are partial. There are those who pick one over the other, who have a favorite.

I don't think it's every parent though. There are those who love their kids and treat each one as an individual and not as an extension of themselves. Those are probably the ones that raise self assured children.

kaniths, sokanasanah, Lathasv and 3 others like this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Just saw this thread. Did not read other's responses yet.
    Just trying to respond to the OP...

Yes, we love our kids equally. But we don't show our affection in an equal manner.
    My son is very much independent, and he is very much liked and loved by all at home. Since he was the first grand child in the family, everyone pamper him.
    Moreover he is a boy, that makes a huge difference when it comes to apply protection to the kid.
    Whereas, my DD is different. She was born with a weird heart condition, which was thankfully ruled out by now. She is not at all independent. Rather a mommy's pet. She is 3, but still she wants mommy for everything. She is clever, and intelligent and more smarter than her brother. Even then she is dependent.
    She can't survive a single night without mummy. She cries, and mess the whole day. She can't bring herself to be close enough with others, even with daddy other than her mom. Although she is loved, admired, appreciated and liked by all at home.

Due to this fact, I show more affection on DD. I carry her with me, put her to sleep with me, and always ensure I am back at home on time for her. I was rather career oriented, and never felt this much responsible when my son was at her age.
    My DD has made me resign my 10 years of hard earned career, because I could not meet her emotional demands with my career.

So, obviously for the outsiders, I favor my daughter more than son. But inside me, it is clear that both of my kids are like my 2 eyes, and I can't favor one over the other. Just that, I physically show more attachment with one over the other since one child is vulnerable before the other.

Equality doesn't mean justice. I do justice for both of my kids.

However, this is just the present situation. Since both are kids, and very young kids, we can't expect anything in return from them other than love and affection.

However, as they grow old, as parents we would be expecting something more from our kids. It may be love, affection, respect, obedience, care, empathy, etc..etc...
    The kid who shows more empathy towards the parents, cares for them, and spends time with them is favored over the kid who chose to abandon the parents for whatever the reasons.
    Again parents are not robots. There are so much emotions involved in the relationship between a child and the parents.
    After the marriages of the kids, the love between the child and the parents is highly influenced by the new family member (DIL/SNIL).
    The ones who could think and act as per the same wavelength of the parent will be favored over the other.
    Similarly, the parents always want to ensure justice to the kids. Although the kids are grown up and no longer they fall under parents' responsibility.. the parents still think they should do justice. That's why many older parents push the well to do kids to support for the not so well to do ones, so that equity could be ensured.
    It may create havoc in the families, but parents never see that.

And finally parents favor the kid with whom they are comfortable. The kid's spouse, grand kids, living condition, wealth, in laws etc..etc... has got so much influence to this.

When the relationship is adult vs child, we must ensure the adult must behave like one, and do justice, equal love for the kids.
    However, when both of them are adult, it is upto them to decide. We can't force a parent to show equal love among adult kids who are not equally returning their love for the parents.