Hard Breast And Breast Feeding

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by shwetapj, Oct 27, 2016.

1. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

My baby is a week old but feeding maximum only on left breast which is why my right breast has become very hard.

please suggest solution to relieve the hardness and make my baby latch on the right breast as well

:(

2. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations on your motherhood, @shwetapj !

I do not know if I could give you the best solution but wanted to share a good old method to relieve the pain, which if unattended, might cause a slight fever.Take a thick glass bottle with lid, (like those old Horlicks bottles ) filled with hot water, hotness depends on your tolerance level, and slowly roll and massage over the hardened area. When you feel the hardness has loosened up, you can press it to let out the old watery milk. Never feed your baby with watery milk. It is not good. That is why elders used to advise, if there has been a long gap between feeds, we have to press the milk out first and then only feed.

Always feed the baby from both sides. Babies do not know the left , right difference. It could be the way you hold your baby that makes it convenient to suck from one side. Find out the best position that makes your baby feel comfortable and secure. That will encourage the baby to suck on both sides. Some babies can be stubborn to change their routine, but the trick is not to give up and try again and again till they start doing it.

All the best ! :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  3. Gaiya3

Gaiya3 Gold IL'ite

4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations, on the birth of your child. So the little one decided to come early! hope you are doing well.

when my baby refused to feed from one side, I was taught to use something called a football hold for feeding - look it up on some site. I used pillows to prop the child up. It worked quite well as the child would feel like it was feeding from the same side.

Wish you the best.

5. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Always try to balance both side. Feed evenly in both sides of breast.
    Even warm water bath before the feeding time loosen up the milk clots.
    Take care.

6. lalsang123

lalsang123 Bronze IL'ite

I also suffered from the same problem.. I used to use a hot water bag (not directly) but upon my clothes and then massage my breasts a little bit.. Then I press the breast and take out the milk(little by little).. I used to alternate between keeping hot water bag, massaging and then pressing until breasts become softer.. Once if you give milk from right side the next time you give it from left side so that there is no milk accumulation on any side(which may lead to pain and fever)..