1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Entertain Kids In The Evening "after School Hours"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Oct 28, 2016.

1. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Thank You @Rihana
    I will see how getting started.

Rihana likes this.
  2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

@anika987
    school teacher said in PTM that at this age(3 yr) let him play/do the way he wants in the evenings, unstructured way.

Allow whatever kid wants to do, let them pick by themselves what she wants to do, for few times in day, either with toys or with some kitchen items, or scrub and some soap water and clean his table, or clean kitchen floor. I try to make him part of what I do with dishes, or cleaning floor, clean - up living area, vacuums too. he helped me with backing cake in mixing egg yolks, he did that because he exited to eat cake. He arranged 4 bowls and lot of forks on table, and sat on a chair waiting for cake , before it was even ready. :grinning:. ( I fell it is important that they develop interest in these chores also, at this age they really like it to do,)
    Sometimes he likes to join with me in doing chores other times he just goes and get himself involved with his truck toys.
    yesterday my 3 and half year came home at 5;30 pm and spent some time at drive way, with side walk chalk and i have rangoli frames (which is like a sieve with designs), played with it by putting rice flour on it and spread over the design, lift the frame, beautiful rangoli.

Later came inside roamed here and there, he ate dinner, and took a train toy, till now we didn't put batteries , he asked for it and we both unscrewed and put batteries, he played with it for some time. Later drank milk and we went to bedroom, and looked some books, He has cold and cough so slept without much nagging around 8:15 pm. All these steps don't go smoothly, lot of no no from his side, sometimes he getting angry...me getting angry because of his nagging, i "try" to keep calm.
    And without TV, he is better behaviour wise and more time to explore other stuff.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    anika987 likes this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My kids used to return home around 3 or earlier. And we don't allow them to play date with other kids around so often. No parks, no beach trips during the week, as both parents would be busy. '
    Even then, kids would be occupied and busy with their own schedule.
    I have never planned anything special to kill their time. In fact, they are busy, and it is hard to distract them from their busy playing for studies or any other activities like prayer.

It is better to allow the kid to play on her own. Kids find various ways to play. If toys are unavailable, they become creative even with veggies or some kitchen utensils to play with. \
    Don't restrict them. Just support them in whatever they chose to play

anika987 likes this.
  4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

The benefits of kids playing outside are multifold ranging from health to social. I do not know how long your kid plays outside or what her schedule during the daytime looks like. This is what I did when my older one was that age. A couple of moms from the preschool would stay back after preschool, give the kids lunch and let them play in a park for a good 2 hours or so. We did this in winter too. The kids would be tired and take a good nap. Happy kids, happy moms :) Most school districts have kids play outside when temperature is 20F and above. It might be a good idea to get kiddos used to playing in the cold weather before they start regular school.

To preserve sanity, even now, I make sure that kids do some kind of class, usually involving physical activity couple of evenings after school. We also hit the libraries more often, attend music/drama shows that are free or inexpensive or that have free previews. COmmunity centers, places like the YMCA might be another option to spend your time. Our local YMCA has free daycare for 2 hours for family members, sometimes I would drop off kiddos there for change of scenery.

The key is to change our schedule according to the season :) Good luck.

anika987 likes this.