1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do Parents Love Their Children Equally?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Sparkle, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Adding another layer of complexity.....
    Parents provide everything equally or fairly to children. Parents love them all equally. Kid goes to school or college. Looks at other children and families. Self vs others happens inevitably.
    Parents did not buy me an iPad, did not get me that school bag, did not give me pocket money like xyz has, did not aid me in making good choices about education and so on happens.
    Who is to be blamed here?!

vaidehi71 likes this.
  2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Maybe it was the mutual love that naturally existed between the parent and child or maybe the child was showered with parental love unconditionally that never made the child to question or maybe both(in my case) the children were disciplined equally without favoritism .. or maybe it was the parents personality... or all the above!

KashmirFlower likes this.
  3. rossie

rossie Gold IL'ite

My parents.. though treated all of us equally good always were in favour of my older sister. When I asked my Mom why they were partial towards her.. she said that they were more attached to her since she was the first one that made them 'Mom' and 'Dad' .... (and the rest were added 'burden' hahahaha.. This was my conclusion to her !!)

Sparkle likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No parent can love their children equally any more than a child can love both parents equally, or all the children love the parents equally.
    I agree with this. Parents have to try to talk with the kids about some of the parenting choices and decisions they make. Reinforcing it as the children grow. A child is likely to be more accepting of differential treatment or inequality in dispensation of love, affection and parenting resources, if the parent talks about it with the child.

If the adult children have any unresolved feelings about partiality etc, they would do well to stop deifying the parents too much as early into adulthood as possible -- helps with reconciling with the fact without too much strain on the relationship with parent.

5. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Sorry about the way they conveyed it to you rossie, but at-least they were open about it. I can relate to you. Some little things done or said, change the entire way a child looks at their family and life.

rossie likes this.
  6. rossie

rossie Gold IL'ite

I agree. And to this day (though they have done numerous things to me) I feel/wish i could have been the first born. Sounds selfish, eh !!

Sparkle likes this.
  7. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Children look at mom and dad as two different persons from the very beginning. But most parents look at children equally or at least lie to them that they are all equal. The very notion of all my children are one and the same is wrong. To begin with, what a parent should convey to the children IMO is that they are all different from each other, hence the difference in treatment.

Say a mother chooses to give her jewellery to her eldest daughter and tells her youngest daughter that she is the first-born and she should make peace with it, what are the children supposed to feel?
    A father says to his only girl that only her brother is entitled for the property down the lane, quoting primogeniture as the reason. What will the children interpret from this?

All children want to be treated the same way regardless of race, religion or culture. That is nature's way. Howsoever a parent reinforces and talks, very little reaches the child and lesser than that is implemented.

The problem I believe is mixing resources with love and affection.

I agree on this and this is possible by talking and enabling the child to talk. Reconciliation is possible when the parent is willing to listen to the child and is ready to make changes if needed.

Lakshmi6197, Rihana and blindpup10 like this.
  8. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

I can understand. It doesn't sound selfish to me. Its natural to long to be in that position and get the love and affection a sibling is getting. Half the time the child that is put down doesn't know why she/he is treated that way. Fact is that children don't ask to be born as the first born or the last or in any other position.

Another fact is that the baggage we carry from how we were treated as a child will last forever. Its very very hard to drop that bag and come out of the past. Hope you are in a better position than before rossie!

I believe that we get to choose everything in life except mother, father, siblings and children. What we have in control is how we deal with what is given to us without a choice.

rossie likes this.
  9. rossie

rossie Gold IL'ite

Well. It is still secondary treatment only. But I have outgrown that feeling because I understood that my parents love me too.. but only second to my sis and bro (BRO is the only SON :) !!:) Moroever, since I have my own family DH and DD who love me unconditionally I have outgrown that feeling or probably came to terms with it.

Having said that.. I love my parents and I am what I am today because of them. :) :) :)

Lakshmi6197, Rihana and Sparkle like this.
  10. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

I couldn't agree with you more!!