Shiva/parvathi With Bilva Alankaram

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by jskls, Oct 25, 2016.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Is there a temple where they do Bilva leaves alankaram for Shivalingam / Parvathi Idol ? Whole lingam and Parvathi idol will be in Bilva leaf attire. Haven't seen or heard one
    @Shanvy
    @Suparni any idea?

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Interesting, Lakshmi ! As how Thulasi is for Narayana, Vilwam is for Siva. May be on a special day like Sivarathri they would do such a Alankaram. Sadly my exposure to our temples and their customs are very limited.Me too excited to know if there is such a place.

jskls likes this.
  3. Suparni

Suparni Platinum IL'ite

In all temples generally during Pradosham or Mahasivaratri there is pooja performed with lot of Bilwa Leaves............

See link below wherein photo of Ujjain Mahakaleswar is with over 1 Lakh Bilwa leaves...........

101 priests performing ‘Parjanya Anushthan’ at Mahakaleshwar Temple

See link below wherein a cobra is plucking bilwa leaves from tree and offering to Lord Shiva.........step by step photo is displayed...........

A MIRACLE; SIVA PUJA BY KING COBRA IN THEPPERUMANALLUR - PADUGAI.COM

rai, KashmirFlower and jskls like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hqdefault.jpg Chandramouleshwara.jpg mahavilvam_plant.jpg
    @jskls i have not seen this kind of alankaram. but a teasing memory my neighbor was watching koti bilwa archana and i think there was the moorthy covered with vilwam.
    Vilva malai i have seen a lot on pradosha days in the place i reside did not have these number of vilva trees two decades ago.
    Coming to possibiility of this image is maybe you will witness a chandramouleeswara pooja. check that pooja videos both in kanchi mutt and sringeri mutt. also if you can read about vilvam and periyava.

Have you seen maha vilvam. heard there is one sthala vriksham that has 27 leaves..and chk this pic that has 12 i think..
    (Source net)

jskls likes this.
  5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

@Suparni @Shanvy thank you both for providing such a rare information.

@Suparni
    First time coming across koti bilvaarchanaa and snake performing bilva pooja. Thanks for sharing.

@Shanvy
    It was spatika lingam adorned with bilva leaves entirely and Shakti together too. So Im leaning towards chandramoulishwara linga. Never knew it existed in Sringeri Mutt though I have visited that place. Will watch the YouTube links too. I have seen only 3 leaf bilva. Good to learn about 12 leaf Bilva and Maha Bilvam.

Thank you both for sharing wealth of information.

6. Suparni

Suparni Platinum IL'ite

Spatika linga pooja is telecasted live in shankara tv every friday night from 8:30 to 10:00 pm.....you can watch it online also in link below

Sankara Tv

...........but they do not do laksha bilwarchana ..............they do all abhishekam and alankaram including bilwa pooja

jskls likes this.
  7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

@Shanvy @Suparni I m back with another question. I am unable to reveal much details but do you know of spatika lingam offered pooja with golden bilva leaves ?

KashmirFlower likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@jskls it is very common today to do archana with silver and gold bilwa leaves.(yes you get these now.) and if you are looking for a temple with spatika lingam i know shri ganapati satchitananda has a spatika lingam that he does archana with swarna pushpam and not sure if he uses bilva.

Maybe you will do it yourself??just loud thinking.

jskls likes this.
  9. Suparni

Suparni Platinum IL'ite

In Chidambaram Shiva Temple, Golden Vilva Leaves are hidden behind a curtain............Once the curtain is pushed and the darshan of golden vilva leaves is allowed for devotees.........Akasha Lingam is said to be invisible....................Bilwa Leaves is said to a garland to Akasha lingam...................Invisible all pervasive concept of God is Chidambara Rahasyam or Secret.............see photo below with Bilwa Leaves.........There is a separate Spatika Lingam to which pooja is performed...............see link below............

Hindu Temples: Chidambaram Natraja Swamy Temple (Aakasa Lingam)

Chidambaram.jpg

KashmirFlower, Lathasv, rai and 2 others like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Suparni yes that is also apt one. Swarna bilwa archana for akasa linga.

Suparni and jskls like this.