1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do Parents Love Their Children Equally?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Sparkle, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

I am trying to find reasons that may explain a parent's favouritism or partial treatment for a child....

The age of children is a factor that makes parents treat them differently. What works for a 3 year old may not work for a 10 year old all the time. So, yes things will always be different.

The way a person is brought up also has an influence on their parenting styles. Some do the opposite... most follow what their parents did.

Some parents feel that they did not do well with the first child, so they are extra-cautious about how they bring up the second child. Not fair in certain ways, but acceptable.

There is a cultural influence. Not fair again, but some parents are forced to be part of it.

Whatever possibility I can think of, its hard to shake off the feeling that parents telling their children that they are loved equally is a myth.

The long-term repercussions are very bothersome to me than the short term.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Absolutely agree on the above statement of yours @Sparkle. The long term repurcussions are what made me reasess myself frquently. It is a myth the equality for sure but we can try a wee bit more not to be. Then human mind is mysterious,what will be the thought process and changes in my kids mind as they grow up and explore is something i don't have a clue, at this moment i believe they know that we treat both equally and are happy. If in future they have a different view i have to accept it

Lathasv, vaidehi71 and Sparkle like this.
  3. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

I don't have knowledge in this subject teacher.. thrust me :crybaby2:

Sparkle likes this.
  4. pion

pion New IL'ite

They love their children equally till they get married. Mostly, the eldest will lose love because he did not carry the siblings responsibility completely after marriage. The youngest child will continue getting love and everything from parents.

NeetaR and Sparkle like this.
  5. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

:roflmao:

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Is that pun or mischievous auto predictive phone:BangHead:. and @rachaputi don't leave open suggestions people try to thrust their opinios otherwise too:smash2:. just kidding...it is a serious topic..and your post made me :sweatsmile:

rachaputi and Sparkle like this.
  7. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

very interesting answers.....

Right now my kids' favorite game seems to be 'whos the mommy's favorite boy?'

So my younger came to me day before and asked me in a very sweet voice for a kiss and a hug. OFcourse, I lifted him up, gave him a kiss on his cheek and told him hes a good boy and put him down.....

....just to see him rush to his elder brother the next second and tell him that he (the younger one) is mommy's favorite and that he got a kiss and a hug from mommy....

since that day (its been around two days now) every kiss, every hug, every little pat on the head is counted and given equally to both of them!

phew....!!!

Induslady, Shanvy and Sparkle like this.
  8. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

I was smiling as I was reading your post.....:)

beautifullife30 likes this.
  9. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

But I am still looking for answers....

Shanvy likes this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i would say yes to the second part of your query. and me and my dd still talk about what all made her feel left out and i do ask my son too. We have those open discussions and sometimes they both have their own sibling talks and they get back to me if they feel I should know something this is possible with a bigger kids.

and by never appreciating one by belittling the others achievements..(something that transcends to ribbing on nri and non nri or the high earner and the meagre earner)
    by being appreciative of both in a balanced way. and never depriving the one who deserves it just because the other will feel bad

My son does not get undue privileges now because of what he went through. Oh this is a very difficult issue to have a simple standard one solution fits all answer @Sparkle

Sparkle likes this.