1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do Parents Love Their Children Equally?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Sparkle, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

It is the unwritten and unsaid rule in parenting. But is it really possible ? There are parents who say they love their children equally but their actions differ from their words. It silently exists in almost all families, but parents don't admit it does. Why is it not possible to love one's own children equally ? Or if it is possible, how to do so?

premabarani, poovai, Caide and 3 others like this.

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

It is possible. Make sure what we think reaches both kids. Reinforcing is necessary. Sometimes what the parents don't realise is kids perceive it differently. Happens in most families but we need to talk with kids. No I don't think I am biased towards either kids even though different in personality but when we try to address certain things I found kids take it different as if we are biased. So have to address that is not the situation.

But yes, there are obvious bias in the kids rearing in families even though not good for kids. We learn from them how not to do certain things. I learned it from my in laws, yes we learn from negative things as well.

3. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

But how is that expressed or said?

Once a child realises the presence of difference , its very hard to shake that belief off.

premabarani and vaidehi71 like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think we love both equally. Their inheritance isn't going to be equal though. The one who can't will get significantly more than the one who is capable. That's an act of great love for the one who is capable. We didn't want her to ever be leg shackled because of a disabled sibling. We'll never leave her financially or even physically in charge of him. She will always have a choice of how much or how little involvement she wants in his life. It took a lot out of us to put it down in paper. I hope when we're not around anymore she won't resent us for our actions. Sometimes our actions are not what they seem. Today I can say that I understand exactly what a parent feels for a child who is less capable. It's not more love or partiality but a sense of great fear.

5. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

I can understand and I agree on the sense of great fear.

Sharing some general thoughts/questions in my next post.

Laks09 likes this.
  6. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

But if parents love their children equally, why are there property related issues in the future? Why are parents not able to share equally to their children? Why prefer NRI children more than the non-NRI children? Why even have more than one child if there will be unavoidable circumstance in the future? Girl vs boy is an argument and its a cultural factor, but even between same genders there are preferences.

There are a few families that encourage younger siblings to take the path the older ones took. For a few it has worked quite well. But some have life-long grudges.

I am very open to the fact that children may perceive something differently. But what could parents do or say or act upon to reduce the long term effects?

vaidehi71 and Rihana like this.
  7. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

I don't believe so.....Moms have their "pick" and till the end, favor one particular boy or a girl. --- JMO

Lakshmi6197, Sparkle and Rihana like this.
  8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

When my mother willed to write a will, she split the properties in equal shares, to us. I did not realize there could be any favorite preferences among a mother's children or that it could affect me, until I got married and my dh being the least favorite! Yep and the reason, my mil says, is because he is a NRI, didn't spend much time living with them, quite contrary to what you mention in your post. Then her most favorite son is now a NRI too, but still enjoys being the preferred and privileged son, because he always is, she justifies! I don't understand the logics of their family anymore and have given up the analysis! *Peace* :)

premabarani, PavithraS, Amica and 2 others like this.
  9. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for being open about it!!!! :thumbsup:

poovai likes this.
  10. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Yes, I agree there are parents on the other extreme too.

But how is possible to write a will and split the properties equally? Someone always has to make the compromise.