Finest Posts - October 2016 Nominations

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Viswamitra, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

I wanted to nominate @blindpup10 's thread on how to entertain guests with pets at home. It's a delicate thing but she has addressed it so well. Also most of the posters there have given insightful advice. I don't know whether we can nominate the whole thread or how and what the procedure is. If it's allowed, please consider this as my nomination. Thank you in advance.

Rihana and momsky like this.
  2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@dnormx01- thanks for the nomination. I think the Pet etiquette thread could have been handled with much more finesse. Thanks again.

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@dnormx01,

Thank you for nominating @blindpup10's post Entertaining Guests With Pets to the FP forum. Please always provide a link to the original post when you nominate that would make other ILites to easily click, read and give their invaluable response. As you know, those posts nominated to FP section are most often widely read by the ILites. Always, the original post and interactions after that together make the thread invaluable. However, in the absence of individual responses not being nominated, the nomination will be considered for the original poster.

Now, the administrative response is over, let me share my thoughts. I am a dog lover from my childhood however my wife was not. We ended up not having a pet at home because of that until after my son grew up to become an adult. Then, he suggested that he was going to adopt a puppy and have the pet in his apartment with him. With that understanding, we have allowed him to do so. Within six months, he dropped the pet back home informing us that it was hard for him to look after because of his studies.

Later, the puppy (named "Orion", a miniature Dachshund) started living with us for the past 6 1/2 years. My wife fell in love with him as he is adorable. She started enjoying the unconditional love he shows every time we walk into the house after going out. All her activities outside have become sessions not exceeding 3-4 hours because she wanted to come back to see the pet. After a long time, we found out that my son (only child) brought the puppy with a plan that if his mom has a pet, she won't be interfering that much in his life. :)

Now, about the guests coming home, restraining the puppy is not an option to any one of us. Therefore, one of us have him in our lap as long as the guest stays at home (if they respond that they are afraid of dog) and if that person holding the puppy has to do something another at home will hold him. Even if we perform homam at home, he will be sitting in someone's lap and watching the whole pooja. But we refuse to restrain the dog as it is his home as much as ours.

Once a woman friend of my wife asked that she had to come to the US to obtain her citizenship and wanted to stay with us. We have told her up front that we have a puppy at home. She said okay and later on arrival, she said, "I am very afraid of dog no matter what size the puppy is and hence Orion needs to be restrained". My wife was embarrassed but I responded, "No". However, we kept Orion in our lap whenever she wanted to have breakfast, lunch or dinner or wanted to have a chat with us. She pretty much stayed in the guest room during her stay of 2-3 days. In other words, she restrained herself to the guest room.

With respect to dogs that are larger in size, I can understand why someone would be very afraid of the pet jumping to feel loved. I totally agree that we have to respect the guest's privacy of their space, allowing them to feel at home during their stay when they are invited to our house, keep ourselves hygiene as the pets have a tendency not to be as hygiene as humans, etc. However, I also feel the pets when they are raised at home, they have a right to live inside their home.

I am sorry that I have to respectfully disagree with the view that the animals belong to the nature outside of home. Even humans lived outside until the civilization began much later does it mean we have to get back to the roots? In my view, interaction between species is very special no matter when and where it happens. When a dog accidentally fell out of the boat in the ocean, the Dolphin allowed the dog to ride on the back to save it from the shark and dropped the dog back into the boat, I see the unconditional love. When the Dog wags its tail and moves his paws acknowledging the gesture and when the Dolphin performs a dance in response to it, I see the unconditional love. When we see small cubs being raised by a Guerilla, I learn something out of it.

I will stop here.

Viswa

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Lathasv and blindpup10 like this.
  4. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Nice :tearsofjoy: Wonder how kids come up with these ideas!

5. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Sparkle likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vaidehi,

Thank you for nominating Sparkle's A Penny For Your Thoughts: Traditional Marraige And Gay Marriage Concepts.

Personally, I am very uneducated on this subject and I learned a lot out of this post about how marriages evolved over a period of time. Character to live with one life partner (whether man or woman), discipline to treat the life partner well, procreation as the purpose of relationship between a man and woman, not seducing a woman already in a wedlock, etc. were practiced during Vedic period as Dharma. In fact, both Ramayana and Mahabharatha epics were written about abuse of married women. I can't comment anything about Western civilization or other religions as my knowledge about them are very limited.

Viswa

vaidehi71 likes this.
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa having pets is a great idea. There are people who are so scared of even lapdogs that they leave you alone without making a nuisance of themselves You can spend your time more profitably than by talking shop with all and sundry.If you have a serious meeting or something, hold it in a restaurant or office..

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I would like to nominate @Rakhii 's post. Greetings From An Old Timer And A Quick Update On Life

The greetings and update from Rakhii took us by storm, a storm of happiness at hearing from a much loved member. And what an absolutely positive update. Nice to have Rakhii back and also nice to be the first one here to nominate her thread. :tonguewink:

vaidehi71 likes this.
  9. Rihana

Also from Relationship forum, my second nomination, a post by @sbonigala , an update in its own right. When Patience Is Tested And Respect Is Bound To Be Lost - Aplogies For The Major Rant

The reaction we felt on reading her post can be figured out by the number of Likes under her post, and the number of :worship2: emoticons in the responses. The first post needs to be read along with all other posts by @sbonigala in that thread, in particular, #82

Relationships between a modern, working DIL living abroad and her MIL are complex. Takes a decade or two or more for each side to figure out the navigation.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  10. Rihana

When I started a thread on "When to Research Medical Symptoms and Diagnoses" , sokanasanah inquired thus on what kind of response we are looking for:
    @sokanasanah went on to make the time and take the effort to share some very valuable suggestions and steps that can be followed when faced with such an unenviable decision-making scenario. This is a link to the first post in that series, and I'd like to nominate this for FP: When To Research Medical Symptoms And Diagnoses

Soka then added some more posts, and the compilation is worth bookmarking. One hopes never to need to use it, but if the situation arises, it is there for the reading.

At one point, poor Soka began to feel "like a Hyde Park homie droning from atop his crate." We hastened to set the record straight. : )

vaidehi71 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.