1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Same Sex Marriage - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sbonigala, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

APS, you can do better. I am inclined to think that your opinions are formed based on sufficient research materials. Just as those of us who became more accepting of homosexuality, did so in big part due to it studies showing that they are wired that way, not due to us being influenced by parades and rainbow colors, or wanting to appear 'progressive'.

I like to read your posts even in threads where I disagree with you stance; would be nice if you provide research or studies, more recent than 1970's, to back your opinion.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

On a related note, the British government recently announced a move, informally called the "Alan Turing Law", that will pardon gay and bisexual people, dead or alive, who were convicted of sexual offenses under older laws. 'Turing Law' to pardon thousands of gay men in the UK - CNN.com

I recalled Turing's story on reading SGBV's post above. Turing is regarded as the father of theoretical computer science and artificial intelligence. In WW II, his work to crack intercepted messages and other achievements are considered crucial to ending the war earlier, and saving millions of lives. He was prosecuted in 1952 for homosexuality, accepted treatment with chemical castration to avoid prison. He died days before his 42nd birthday, and it is believed to be a suicide.

So, coming back to the Turing Law that will pardon people who were convicted of sexual offenses due to their homosexuality, one spirited 93 year old man, George Montague, has started a petition that says the govt. should apologize, not "pardon", and that the convictions should be quashed, not "pardoned". A PETITION for An apology to the oldest old gay men still alive

What I am saying is, it has taken enough time for the LGBT movement to get to where it is, and the change has withstood many tests and been examined deep enough, didn't happen overnight because some "progressive" people wanted to wear their progressiveness on their sleeves.

sbonigala, SGBV, vaidehi71 and 4 others like this.
  3. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

The Imitation Game is loosely based on Alan Turing's life. A brilliant mind put to waste because of false beliefs about homosexuality. He apparently had a real hard time when he was forced to take medications to suppress his homosexuality.

On that note I also want to add that believing medications will change a homosexual person to a heterosexual is wrong. No such things exists that can change a personal's sexual orientation. Around the 70s people were treated with shock therapy by the so called heterosexuals. That is humanity turning against itself.

SGBV, justanothergirl and vaidehi71 like this.
  4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I watched this documentary called "For the Bible tells me so" featuring parents of gay children and gay Tele Evangelists. One of the people made a point that most people who reject homosexuality do so because they refuse to see beyond the act of sex (which they find repulsive to their sensibilities) and not as people who experience the emotions of companionship/attraction etc. besides sex and I found this to be very pertinent.

guesshoo, sbonigala, SGBV and 5 others like this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@APS45

The more you call us progressive people for this matter, the more it is revealed how ignorant person you are.
    Do you think we come here just to share some random notes about LGBTI people without reading anything?

As much as I don't wanna compromise on my privacy, I try my best to share one of the most touching/life changing experience, that changed my mindset about these LGBTI people.

In 2010 when I was working in country A, I was assigned to work with the uprooted people, like refugees, that included LGBTI people (They fled their place of origin due to their sexual orientation).
    During their flight in 2007 from country B, one gay couple took a 2 yr old baby girl who was abandoned, possibly by a fellow passenger/refugee.
    No one came forward to take responsibility of this girl, so the girl started living with this gay couple. After registration, these refugees need to wait at least 2-3 years in the camps for their personal cases to be processed.

When this gay couple met me for the interview (Refugee status), our office had a big concern about the 5 yr old child, that was living with them.
    We immediately wanted to remove this child from them, thus started the family tracing of this kid.
    Meanwhile the kid was kept in a safe house for the kids.
    The gay couple's case was processed, and in 6 months time their file was ready for resettlement in a 3rd country.
    But they were not happy unlike other refugees upon this resettlement news. They would wait before our office day in and day out looking for this kid, and would plead us to release the kid.
    On the other hand the kid too was missing them.
    Psychologist concerning to our work were working with both sets (kid and gay couple) amidst all this.

Finally we were able to trace the kid's biological dad. According to him, his wife dead during their flight in 2007; amidst this he missed his DD. He then remarried in the camp, and had a son with his new wife.
    We managed to send the girl with her dad, thinking two gender parents (mom and dad) would be ideal for the child.
    But we assigned a local NGO to monitor her and other child cases closely.

Shockingly we got reports from the NGO that this kid was unsafe at her own parents' house, and becoming psychologically unstable.
    We checked, and she wasn't physically abused when she stayed with those gays.
    She was very happy with them. One gay man was working, and the other was a stay at home husband who took great care of this kid before. They had such a strong emotional connection then.

Finally, this case went to the courts, and after hearing from all the ends, the court granted the custody of this kid to the gay couple. Now, all the 3 of them are moved to the 3rd country, where homosexuality is legal.
    We continued to monitor them for sometimes via our office there. Now that we closed the file, with a happy end.

This very incident changed my mind completely. The love between the gay couple, their emotional dependency, their parenthood, their affection etc..etc... is definitely beyond sex and sexual orientation.
    It is not them who need to change, but us...

6. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Ladies thanks to all of you and special thanks to those ladies who are sharing notes and the experiences. Posts such as these definitely prove to be a window to another perspective of the same issue, thereby looking at the issues from an angle which I did not know earlier.
    Yes I am not ashamed to say " I don't know", if I really do not know.
    However before I say anything more on this, I would like to read a little more and understand a little more and yes learn a bit more.

@SGBV No dear I don't have a solution. But is it not the point of putting my opinion in an open to all forum - took seek answers and opinions and understanding for things that bother me and are beyond my control and knowledge.
    I never ever meant that homosexuals must be jailed or punished. If my posts ever suggested that,my bad.

We are all sharing opinions here. No one is better than the other. No opinion is more valuable than the rest. All opinions must be respected irrespective of our personal take on the opinion.

guesshoo likes this.
  7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@SGBV
    :worship2:

and thank you for sharing that wonderful story ! God Bless !

SGBV likes this.
  8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@sbonigala
    Opinions are all fine but an introspection and careful scrutiny of it is warranted when we realize that its being used as a justification to take away someone else's fundamental right to live their life with freedom dignity and happiness.

Sparkle, peartree, kaniths and 2 others like this.
  9. APS45

APS45 Silver IL'ite

What do I say? I have mentioned about the politics and controversy around the decision of APA of 1973 because APA decision is frequently quoted by homosexuals to support their claim. Everyone seems caught up with the year than what I have intended.Now, you go to the Journal of sex research (formerly known as Annual review of sex research), you shall find loads of materials. This is the most authentic source on the planet on this subject. I came across one such review “A critical review of recent biological research on human sexual orientation 2002”, which is referred again in another book named Authentic Human Sexuality: An Integrated Christian Approach (my original reading that led to multiple readings). Now, please don’t twist again on religious line, you just read one complete review article of your choice from the journal, as latest as available. Also read on the works of Dr. Jeffrey Satinover, Dr. Ben Carson, Dr. Whitehead, I find it lot easier to comprehend than the journals. Happy reading.

Great heart-warming story, but leaving the child with same sex partner is poor decision. One have to look at the larger picture, long term impact, and preempt any chances of abuses. The guys must have been politely told about the right of the child, if the parent is abusive, the child could have been at NGO care until finding a right couple for adoption.

My final take, the reasons for sexual orientation is yet to be fully established scientifically, but the majority of expert opinion seems that it is influenced by environment from childhood for some (psychological) and it is a choice for many. Nothing wrong in their genes. Unfortunately, a political atmosphere has been created with hyped sense of human rights activism, stage managed propaganda by LGBT with so many false information on the net, all together intervene with true science, there by preventing understanding the problem and finding proper solution. Treating the homosexuals with compassion does not mean giving adoption rights of children. I stop here. Thanks.

10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

We have seen time and again of the issues we have when we take religious edicts and try to apply them as law in a society. Such a society fails to sufficiently progress, IMO and there is of course rampant violations of fundamental human rights in a society that would rather be governed by what is dictated in religion and there is always a tinge of bigotry attached to anything that people say "according to my faith", even if that is not intended.

There was this debate on one of the Indian news channels around striking down of sec. 377 (IPC) and any other debate, you would find these torch bearers of various religions ready to pounce upon each other.... but not this. Even the news anchor quipped that as sad as that is, it is really the first ever time all these religious figure heads were agreeing on something. It was quite ridiculous to watch.

This interview of the AMU professor Ramchandra Siras has got to be one of the most heart-breaking things I have seen in my life.

Last Words Of AMU Professor Who Was Driven To Death For Being Gay

SunPa and guesshoo like this.