1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Everyday Seems A Struggle With My In Law

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by meename, Oct 23, 2016.

1. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

I am always a energetic and smiling person who thinks positively . but if she is around , my Face turns to a serious one and I dont feel like being myself ..
    I change to a completely different person when she is around .. Anyone like me. how to change this

2. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite

Actually it is a ugly way of reacting and creating drama and all. But i was seeing a difference only after creating drama.
    I tried all the options.

1. I tried talking back to her firmly. It made her aggressive. My dh and fil started saying i'm disrespecting elders.
    2. I tried to ignore her shoutings completely. But she never seemed to stop and my dh started saying anyway you know how to handle my mom well. Continue the same. I was so irritated with his reaction.
    3. Kept a pity face started creating a drama in front of dh and fil. Then my dh started avioding meet ups.
    Dh also used to say that he want to live in joint family with everyone.
    And my PIL's did emotional black mailing to be with them in old age. Now he is scared to face both of us. So he clearly said no for them.
    My MIL also says now that if i say her anything even for small advice she is creating a big issue. So i will avoid to involve in her things.
    But she is still the same. I could see difference in my dh only.

3. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

Your mil and mine are sisters. can you tell me how you created drama .. can u tell what all u did.that would help me so much

4. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Just wondering what happens if you deliberately act deaf when she is shouting.
    How much can someone shout ?
    Alternatively, every time she shouts, lock yourself up in a room. Come out ONLY after she is calm. If she shouts again, get inside yet again or just walk out of the house.
    Dont answer back or say anything. Just convey with silence. She will get it, if not on Day1 atleast on Day 10.

sindmani likes this.
  5. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

I tried this for more than three years . This technique did not stop her from shouting . moreover she knows that even if I go to another room and lock , I can hear the shouting . so she screams even more .
    two days back , she was talking to me harshly . I replied to her questions and then walked out saying that you are screaming all time .
    after that incident , she was behaving well until next day. again today little bit she has started .
    I want to keep a complete full stop to her stupid behaviour

6. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

I also complained to my hubby about her behaviour as she might complaim to him about me . I told him that she is screaming most time when I am in front of her .
    his reply was in one word 'ignore'
    mine was love marriage . he was my best friend . though we loved and knew him for 6 years before marriage , I never knew that he will be this heartless , brainless, spineless .
    I don't feel like loving him anymore . I am not asking him to fight for me . but how can he easily say ignore and then mind his own business

7. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

She shouts at me if I cut apple for kid and keep half of apple without eating . but today I saw half apple which was cut . it had turned black . happily she is standing in front of that Apple and doing work . if I had cut it , she would have screamed .
    their place is too hot . she screams if I don't switch off fan in hall. even if I go to kitchen for 2 mins , I need to switch off. else she Ll scream. today she had not switched off fan in bedroom and was watching TV . when I asked her if I should switch off she said cooly ya
    I want to tell her ' see if I do same things ,think how you ll scream at me '
    should I ignore her or react to her .
    I never stood up for myself . last year she had come for 5 days to my house and was doing ragging . I did not have much courage to tell her .
    this time , I am openly showing discomfort and showing faces and raising voice ( still not much)
    my sil was telling that her grandmother was too strict and brought up children nicely . for which I replied that her grandmother was aggressive and that is why all children whom she brought up are arrogant and aggressive .
    I am not cooking now in this vacation for 2 reasons
    kitchen is place where she shouts too much
    my kid is too naughty . so I can't leave her alone .
    definitely she Ll complain about that
    I want to tell that as long as she screams , I Ll not stand next to her in kitchen . how to tell that decently

sindmani likes this.
  8. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

As you all said I need to move out when she shouts .. but she shouts all time . how to move out in that case.

9. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Does ur mil like to spend time with ur child. U can encouraged her in spending time with her grand child and reading book, watching TV. If she is busy then she won't shout at u. I usually make my mil watch good movies like English vinglish or excellent dramas in late 90s , I thought her to read books in internet. Now she does it herself. Even 2 days back I encouraged her to write essay for a book.my mil is good in writing. I appreciate her for her knowledge in current affairs and history.u can find out what ur mil will like to do. May be u can call her friends home, stitching etc. My opinion.u know the situation best

10. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

I stayed with my mil for 20 days recently and she did not shout at me much ... I avoided her as much as I could by not being in same room as her ...
    I don't know reason y she did not shout this time in front of hubby .. Last time when I stayed I openly told her ' you are screaming at me all the time'....
    Do you girls think she might have changed or is she acting as wants to be in joint family