1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Unicorn Prince: Chapter 4

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Shalumurthy, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Shalumurthy

Shalumurthy Gold IL'ite

Chapter 4

Leila woke up with a start when she realized that the bus had stopped for dinner break. She never realized she had slept with all the events of that night that had been running again and again in her mind.

“Oh my god!!” she mumbled as she pushed her hair from her face and fasted it into a pony.

She got down from the bus and looked around the hotel and people sitting and chatting while eating their food.

‘I’m free… Free from Pranav!’ She thought and smiled as she sipped the Tea she had bought for herself!!

Elsewhere Ranjith stretched his lean body as he got up from his bed with his dog by his bedside.

“Hey babe…Time to rise and shine!!” He ruffled the dog’s ears as he shed his bed sheet and walked towards the bathroom barefooted.

The dog obediently followed his master’s instructions.

“Wait here…I’ll be back for our morning walk!!”Ranjith smiled at his dog as he closed the door.

He was tall, a good 5ft 8inches. His broad shoulders were complimented by his narrow hips. His unkept hair was an asset to his odd charisma.

His turned the knob of the shower with his long slender fingers. As water gushed down his torso, he stood beneath the cold waters and closed his eyes.

“He was panting for breath!! The cold water rushed into his ears and mouth. Though an ace swimmer; he panted for breath. He had jumped right into the ice cold water after her …and he groped the water in a faint attempt to touch her...feel her!!”

Ranjith almost chocked when his memory surfaced.

He coughed as he spit water and used his hands for support as he felt his knees go weak.

“What the hell was that!!” He ran a hand through his wet hair!

“Who was I searching for!!” Ranjith still reeled from the memories of his vision. It had seemed real. He tasted the fresh water and he could still feel the iciness all over his body.

The loud bark in his room reminded him that he had responsibilities and he couldn’t brood over his silly vision.

“I’m coming babe!!” He wrapped a white towel around his hip and went to his room.

“Ohh… its chill I know!!I know!!” He petted his dog as the dog kneeled in front of him.

Ranjith quickly changed into faded blue jean. It was worn out and it seemed as if it was worn a million times.

Ranjith quickly pulled over a grey sweater. His dog was ready beside him holding his shoes in its mouth.

“Now that’s my darling babe!!” Ranjith patted the dog’s head as the dog simply put its head in his lap.

Ranjith was the only son of Mr. Sundar. He had completed his master’s in business administration and was working abroad for almost two years. His dad, Mr. Sundar owned estates, resorts and mills in and around Coimbatore and Ooty. Around a year back he had his first heart attack and he was advised complete bed rest.

Ranjith flew down to take care of his dad. After his mother’s death when he was five years old, his dad was his world. For Ranjith his dad was his god. He quit his job abroad and decided to take up his dad’s business. Right now, Ranjith was in the process of setting up a resort with a café amidst the lovely hills of Ooty which his dad had purchased two years back but failed to concentrate due to his health.

“Morning dad!! Back from your morning walk?” Ranjith asked his dad when he met him while he was going down the stairs to take his dog for a walk.

“Yes!!Now where are you off too?” Sundar enquired his son.

“Taking babe for a walk!! You know how restless she gets if she misses her walks!!” he replied. Ranjith embraced his dad before he walked out of the house while his dog went happily behind him.

Sundar felt pride envelope his soul as he saw his grown up son leave the house.

‘Ranjith is just like his mother…soft at the edges but with a spine of steel!” wondered Sundar.

After his wife’s death he had taken up to Ranjith as his life. Ranjith was taught all skills he wanted to learn and encouraged to excel in many. He was a national level swimmer; He was wonderful musician playing the drums as if he had extra pair of hands; a philanthropist sharing his time with under privileged children; and a very responsible businessman. Above all Ranjith was his son and Sundar absolutely adorned him.

As Sundar passed Ranjith’s room, he saw the poster that hung on the wall. It read:
    There are three stages of a man's life: He believes in Santa Claus, he doesn't believe in Santa Claus, he is Santa Claus.
    ~ Unknown

Sundar smiled to himself. He had seen this poster in the antique shop near by their cottage and he recollected saying his son that he liked it after he came back home. Ranjith made sure he bought the poster.

“How lucky can I be!!?” Sundar smiled as he retired to his chair with a cup of coffee and the morning paper.

Ranjith jogged down the well-trodden path with his dog. He was still thinking over his vision that he had that morning but he couldn’t make anything out of it.

‘Hey quit pulling me!!Come here!!” Ranjith removed the leash from his dog’s neck.

“There!! Now you are free; enjoy!!”Ranjith stroked Babe’s ears as his dog spotted a scurrying mouse down the road. She gave loud barks and hurried across the road to grab hold of the mouse.

“Hey!!This is cheating!!Babe!!” Ranjith dashed behind his dog as his dog made a change of direction at the junction.

“Hey Babe!!” Ranjith cornered his dog only to see that babe had pushed a fine looking woman down and was now in the process of licking her face.

“Shoo… Who are you!!” was the muttered cries of the Leila as the big germane shepherd loomed just above her face.

“Hey babe, stop it!!”Ranjith commanded only to find the eyes of Leila boring into him.

Ranjith pulled his dog through his collar and managed to get the leash back on her neck.

“Don’t you have manners!!? Is this the way you let you dog harass people on road?” Leila simmered in anger.

“No…I’m so sorry, Babe usually…” His words were left half way when he felt Leila’s strong hands slap him hard across his cheeks.

“How dare you call me babe!!?” Leila was red with rage.

“Babe is my Dog’s name!!” Ranjith rubbed his palm to his burning cheeks while Leila’s turned pink with embarrassment.

2. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

Initially I did not think it was a story ...Very Nice narration.. What a person is Pranav?? ..Very good going Shalu.

Thanks for the story.
    --PS

Shalumurthy likes this.
  3. aarthi28

aarthi28 Platinum IL'ite

Hey nice going shalu dear.... leila is for sure going to face adventures in hiding from pranav I Suppose. Nice going

Shalumurthy likes this.
  4. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Good episode Shalu!

Shalumurthy likes this.
  5. Rampuri9

Rampuri9 Silver IL'ite

Shalu - welcome back ..I remember reading your stories(old) sometime back..
    read all the 4 episodes just now.. its just awesome..eagerly waiting for the story to unfold.

Shalumurthy likes this.
  6. leenam05

leenam05 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shalu,

Today I read all the episodes in one go. Your narration is very gripping & making us curious to read further.

I remember a hindi movie Agnisakshi upon reading your story.
    All the best.

Shalumurthy likes this.
  7. Shalumurthy

Shalumurthy Gold IL'ite

Thank you Rampuri! my first two stories are posted here. but that was a long time ago!

8. Shalumurthy

Shalumurthy Gold IL'ite

Thank you leenam05. but a lot of ppl are able to relate this to some movie or serial!!:)i had no idea!! Now i must watch the movie!