1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help Needed With Feeding 2 Year Old

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by silencelover, Oct 23, 2016.

1. silencelover

silencelover Senior IL'ite

Thanks friends for reply. Went to ped today, my daughter didnot let her to check. She threw lot of tantrums. Ped asked me stop the smoothie business and just give her what we eat. Also told to take care of her weight as well.

I am doing my best to try to distract her with tv, rhymes, toys, books, even beads and Montessori materials(me being a trained montessori teacher). She is concentrating only on playing and doesn't open her mouth. If I disturb her for eating, she will push the bowl and spoon forcefully, and sometimes make it fall down.

Ped said, if it keeps on continuing, then I must be consulting some professional help for her feeding. She doesn't eat much of Junk food, but when she is hungry, she is smart enough to open the fridge and take milk and ask me to give her. If I hide the milk packets, she will cry holding fridge handle for a long time. I mean it -a longggggg time.

Rice and dal is a big question. I make it and give her-she won't eat it- I try after 2 hours- same response, and try again at night- no use- I throw it. It is an every day routine. And I am fed up of this. Even pasta also same story.

Idli and dosa, she turns her head just for 1st bite. I do give her fruit first. Eg: banana, cut apple. She takes a bite or 2. Then I wait for some more time and then try again. If she doesn't take then I smoothie it. Now I am running out of ideas and patience. I have lost my sleep and I spend searching for food schedule in net.

After you replies, will start working on:
    1. Throw the bottles.
    2. Everyday same time schedule.
    3. Cook food according your listed suggestion, for rice and dal(again).
    4. And have more patience and hope.

Your replies are very much supportive and important to me. Thanks a lot for your time. Pls do share some more tricks for me to try.

Regards,

Ashnita likes this.
  2. Ashnita

Ashnita New IL'ite

If she loved milk try to give her bread with milk or rice with milk and sugar, curd if she likes..Make a roti in small pieces and soak in milk and sugar and give.. let her eat some thing.. dry fruits, sago , sweet bambino.
    Try tomato soup,

3. silencelover

Sure Ashnita, will definitely try these ideas one and one and let you know. Thanks for your ideas.

4. Craziyrmom

Craziyrmom Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I would suggest you can tempt your baby by trying few methods,

1)Allow her to play with different textures of food, let her play with a spoon of cooked rice,pieces of idlis n dosas with chutney.. let her play with yoghurt..or banana pieces...think abt different food textures..
    make her watch the whole family eat together and give her a few pieces...it s fine if she plays with it for few days...trust me she will start trying it out by licking it..
    make sure u try this when she s really hungry or before meal time..don't go running behind her...let her come to u..
    2) Ask her to feed the elder kid or her papa...let her just go arnd feeding in meal times..
    3) Show her how you cook and taste it while cooking...
    4) Give her puffed aval(poha) in a plate..easiet to start with for a baby..
    5) Show her how tasty a food is or how to make crunchy sound while eating...

Please reduce milk quantity as it ll fill d stomach for a long time!

I hope one of this helps sooner as baby has to pick up on eating solids by now..keep us updated...good luck!!

5. Craziyrmom

Craziyrmom Silver IL'ite

If she s interested in abc or no...try making food in those shapes... :)

MNR likes this.
  6. silencelover

Thanks craziyrmom for suggesting. Yes I give her things to touch, feel, enjoy. From cornflakes to cooked rice, chicken pieces, cut egg whites, bread pieces..... She does pouring or transferring activities from one bowl to another with these things. But it is not improving. Pieces doesn't go inside her mouth.

we do such small games and take rounds in feeding her, works for maximum 4 bites and only in weekends.

Will try with poha and shapes dosa and surely will let everyone know her reaction.

7. Craziyrmom

Craziyrmom Silver IL'ite

I totally understand how it would feel for a mom :)..
    I was suggesting that you ask her to feed everybody rather than you all feeding her just to check if any trick works..so once u eat what she feeds she ll also listen a bit n want to try...maybe ;)
    Please don't take too much stress...kids can sense it out...give her mashy stuff to feel n lick than dry stuff...
    It's ok if she eats only 4 bites...it wud improve once she gets the groove to pick up foods on her own!!

MNR likes this.
  8. silencelover

Hai, After ped visit yesterday, I was too stressed and out of control with anger. Was shouting on elder one and husband. After all your replies and support, I am a bit ok today.

Making a list from your ideas and will start working on that. Thanks a lot for all your replies.

9. thiru89

thiru89 Junior IL'ite

Take her to some good hotel in your environment... If c sees everyone eatinh, c may give a try... I feed my 2 years son by showing rhymes in mobile, though it's not healthy idea, once they got hold on how to eat, and started solids, it will become easy to start solids ..

10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Relax

What does the doctor say?if she is healthy food no need to be fat.

Also,do not force her to eat.make changes little by little.try different combinations

Also can't help but say your social media friends r so rude talking about a child that way