1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help Needed With Feeding 2 Year Old

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by silencelover, Oct 23, 2016.

1. silencelover

silencelover Senior IL'ite

Hai, I have a 2year old daughter, second one. She is 10.5 kgs. When ever I post her pics in social media, the only feedback I get is - her hands are thin, she is lean, you should do something to make her gain weight. I lost my sleep because of that and losing my patience with her.

Her schedule is
    Wake up- banana smoothie with milk and honey
    8:30- vegetables puree with butter
    10:30-milk-100ml
    1:00- rice and dal puree with ghee
    3:00- yogurt with egg yolk puree
    5:30- milk-100 ml, 2 biscuits
    7:00- milk -100ml/ banana puree with butter (doesn't take anything else at this time).
    Midnight- milk-100ml

She bites very few eatables like carrot, cucumber, biscuit, 2 bites of bread and 2 pieces of egg whites.

She does not eat foods like idli, dosa, ragi malt, pongal, rice, tried and still trying everyday. Everything need to be grinded and given in bottle.

When consulted ped, she recommended to try with store bought food like gerber and then with home made food. Even that didnot work. She eats only puree from store bought. If she gets a piece of veggie, she spits out and seals her mouth for next spoon.

Never had any problem with my first one.

How to improve her eating... How to make her gain weight? I don't want to continue her bottle as she is 2 years now. Even husband thinks that I am lazy to feed her. What am I supposed to do if she doesn't even open her mouth for first piece of food like idli, dosa, rice..... Only thing she likes is milk and banana. But always I try to keep milk under 400ml.

Pls reply and help me. Your feedback is much appreciated.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

She is used to everything being done for her and so will protest. Be prepared for it. You need to remember she has to chew. Chewing helps start digesting the food plus it develops muscles which help with the child speaking. Plus the bottle is harmful for the developing teeth.

Steam veg and let her eat as much as she will. Do not substitute it with her usual stuff in a bottle if she doesn't eat. At 2 she can feed herself. Have a schedule and have specific mealtimes. Have a place at home where she has to sit to eat. Keep offering a healthy choice to her. No fussing if she doesn't eat. No feeding if she doesn't eat. Remain calm and just play with her to show you aren't about to follow her around and fuss. Throw the bottles away.

Take her out to parks so she gets good exercise. She ought to be hungry and without any comment if you take away her uneaten food, she will get the point.

Keep all junk away - sweets, biscuits, snacks etc. Don't offer any substitute whatsoever.

Check how much milk she needs and offer her only that twice a day. You can replace some of the milk with yoghurt and cheese.

It is a battle of wills and she will learn once she realises you aren't about to run behind her or offer her a substitute. You need to be strong here.

Do check with your medical practitioner about food supplements that might help.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Upscale likes this.
  3. kirthihema

kirthihema Bronze IL'ite

As long as the baby is healthy and active don't worry about the statute because few kid will have good bmi and lean built

Upscale likes this.
  4. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

Instead of giving banana smoothies, try giving fruit itself. I never recommend fruit juices for kids unless they are below 1 year or they have some digestive problems, while blending or processing some nutrients will be lost .
    Dont make rice puree, try to give smoother than what we eat . Make some incentives, if you eat it , will take you out, get new dress. Go for a walk in the evenings.

Throw that bottle, she may cry for some days, later she will be fine with glass, introduce some health drink horlicks or bournvita.

As you have 1st kid, make them sit together, whoever finishes first will get new pencil. crayons.

Ask her scribble something while you feed. Tell some stories , songs, make a paper boat , let it float in the water while she play you can feed.

You have to creative, different dishes you have to try out.

5. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

Unfortunately, I could not make my DD sit at place to feed till she was 4 years.I let her play with something while feeding. This worked for me to some extent. Now she is fine .

6. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

OP,

Weight gain is not a serious problem. Many babies are underweight. But they have to be healthy. my DD, who is 4.5 yrs old is still 13 kgs. But she eats what she can, never omits specific food.

So you need to change your babies food habit. from 6+ months onwards, we can introduce semi solids and solids. 2 years is too late. But dont delay further. till 1.5 yrs only, I prepared special food for my baby, like smoothies, purees and all. After that, we give her what we eat. Even chapathis, dipped in milk,she used to eat.

It might be tuff now, but train her to eat one idly/dosa in the morning. Later you can improve the quantity.slowly you can change the food habit. Dont give her biscuits. When you cook rice & dal, add carrots, beens, potato to that, so it will be mashed completely when you feed her. Night also give her solids & a cup of milk before bed.

You will be able to change.

7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

If it worked for you, great. I've had times too when I'd let mine play or read a story or even play tv when she was eating and pause if she didn't chew or swallow or too too long. Was bribing her indeed.

However in this case since the child has been refusing proper food and is drinking everything in a bottle, I feel drawing boundaries is required. Might as well start as we mean to go on and get her into a proper viaable routine because the child seems rather set in her ways and isn't flexible.

More than the child's weight, the lack of nutrition worries me.

OP, I'm sure it's not for the lack of trying on your part. Each child is different. We're giving good practices here for you to consider.

8. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

Avoid honey early morning and give her during night times

9. Ashnita

Ashnita New IL'ite

Hi,
    By two years baby should start to eat same food as we eat..
    Try this.. rice, dal ( any variant or mix any two or three variety of dal example, masoor dal , toor dal, etc) with all types of vegetables u have at home, tomato, potato, corrupt beans etc with little ginger garlic, one green chili, mint leaves curry leaves and coriander leaves.. cook in cooker so that vegetables and dal are well cooked.. wen hot add ghee and salt..try not to over cook ..
    Kids will love this..

U can change change vegetables like one vegetable each day..but same recipe..

By younger daughter is now two years ..wen she was born she was also having thin legs and hands. My mom use to be afraid to give her bath coz she was so thin and under weight. now is healthy enough with good body mass..

Don't worry about wat she looks like . just concentrate on her diet . Let her chew her food..

10. lalsang123

lalsang123 Bronze IL'ite

I had given Ragi for my kid when he was 2 years.. I used Ragi flour mixed it with water.. I heated it until it became pasty.. To make it taste good I had added jaggery to that and stirred it until the jaggery got dissolved in that mixture.. Once it gets cooled it solidifies a little.. Then you can feed this.. Ragi helps in weight gain too..

One thing is as long as your kid is active and healthy no need to worry..