1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is The Elder Son A Money Minting Machine?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shwetapj, Oct 19, 2016.

1. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I am posting post after post constantly here for my never ending problems. I always had problems from my In- Laws, that is my MIL and BIL who is unmarried. In the beginning of our married life, they created havoc between us. Both did not spare me and also my husband. MIL always fought with me, abused me with bad words, false accusations, taunts etc. That time our financial condition was bad my husband had started a new business and i was helping him with it. In spite of these hardship, the MIL and BIL tortured us and were like eating our resources like parasites. In spite of a bad situation, they never bothered to help, forget about help, at least to behave properly by not creating fights. We separated from them and threw them out of the house. After that MIL and BIL tried to make relationship with us good. Though after that MIL fell ill and I looked after her even though after recovering she started throwing tantrums. After she recovered I asked her to leave her house and asked to get lost. Now after 5 years, we have become successful business people with respect in society. Even after so many years, the BIL behavior hasn't changed a bit and he is still not working properly which is why they are not able to take care of their basic expenses such as Light bill, Household expenses like grocery etc. We pay their monthly rent only which is Rs 12000. Now, they have not paid the light bill as they dont have money, and they are expecting us to fulfill that also. Along with pay for grocery. We still gave them money rs 5000 2 months back to take care of grocery items. They will make faces so poor that anybody will bad for them and give the money and shamelessly Still they are trying to suck our blood. But it is impossible for them even if they do, as my husband says straightaway to them to care of yourselves on your own. Also all the finances are under my control, hence i straightaway say I cant help do whatever you want to do.

Since we have purchased a new house, they are jealous of that too. They also know that I am pregnant and also have installments to pay and along with other monthly expense still they dont have humanity and common sense to leave us alone. MIL still expecting us to run their household. BIL is not so small to spoonfeed him, he is 27 years old and shamelessly cant even earn. MIL will never speak with me she will always has a frowned face as if she has smelled some **** or something. We are paying their house rent, we are doing a big favor on them still that attitude hasn't changed even a bit. She is not even asking me if I have arranged anything for the baby such as clothes, items, my health. She will not come to help also, as she has clearly refused.

I told my Hubby I dont care even if they curse me, We already have a lot of expenses and baby also to come hence i wont pay a single penny and Hubby is with me. He also knows their behavior very well hence he hardly sees them that is once in 3 months and all.

I hope I am doing it right.? I would be due anytime now and I am still working very hard to take care of house installments and expenses and these guys are like parasites feel money falls from trees

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Good for you that you and your DH are on the same page. Your BIL is not a kid anymore. He needs to step up and get a job. Why do you want your MIL around anyway when your baby arrives? Count it a blessing that she won't come. Call your parents or hire some help. Focus on enjoying your pregnancy and preparing for the little one.

chandmaha and guesshoo like this.
  3. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

303 views and no replies! :frowning::astonished:

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Your bil is not your husband's responsibility.
    Do in laws have any source of income ?If not...then it does become the child's responsibility to take care of basic needs of the parents....i.e all earning children should contribute.

5. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

@yellowmango

that is what I am saying all of them should contribute. we are already paying their rent rs 12000 a month and they are expecting us to pay for grocery and electricity bills while BIL will sit home and relax

6. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

What happens if you just pay the rent and keep quiet?
    Dont pay a penny more.

Rihana likes this.
  7. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Shweta,

It depends on your DH's relationship with his brother. BIL should hear from your DH that he should get a job and contribute equally to the family. Some families brainwash their eldest to believe that they are responsible for the entire family. Including the siblings, their job and settlement. That belief is hard to shake. Will take a lot of time to work on.
    You are doing the right thing IMO, but what you could do is tell your DH to bring the topic up if it hasn't come up. There could be multiple reasons given for the joblessness and even a possibility of the 27 year old compared to a 7 year old and that he is still little and naive. Have seen this before. BIL is not your DH's responsibility, but to come to a point of equal payment from children, this could be used as a starter.

yellowmango likes this.
  8. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

Tell you DH to take BIL cv and look job for me.Tell mil fil to put pressure on him for going for job.
    Thats the only way out.No he is not your H responsibility but you know we cant see our blood relatives suffering like that so he is going to step in.

yellowmango likes this.
  9. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Don't take this tension now. Just give a budget to them and let them decide what they do with the money. Whether they think the older son is a cash cow or has a money tree in his back yard is immaterial.

What matters is that you and your husband draw firm boundaries and keep your ILs at bay. Take care.

10. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

This is the story of every other family in India. The eldest son is expected to take up more responsibilities than the rest of the children which is absurd. If he is living abroad, the expectations increase multiple fold. Op, just continue to give how much ever you are giving right now till your BIL finds a job and not a penny more. Ask your husband to tell him the same thing.

NeetaR likes this.