My Story Of Infertility

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Elsa, Sep 8, 2016.

1. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

My name is asPha. I am originally from Mumbai, India but for last 8 years I am in Boston, Ma. I was 33 and DH was 34. DH and were married for 5 years when we decided to TTC for 3.5 years. We went the traditional way every other couple does when they decide to start a family. After a year of unfruitful trying we decided to meet the fertility expert. Once in the facility we went through the entire fertility test which came out normal. So we started out with Clomid and timing. We had 5 cycles with this but nothing happened. Then the course went on for IUI for which we did 6 rounds with injectable again with a disappointment. So finally it was IVF's turn. We did 6 IVF cycles of which we were only able to transfer once but with no good news. My doc told us I was facing premature ovarian syndrome and told us I cannot conceive through my own eggs. Our dreams were shattered. I was completely broken down into thousand pieces. After coming to the terms we decided we will go with Donor egg cycle. So we started looking for donor agencies and a suitable donor. Fortunately, we found a donor from Massachusetts itself and things started moving for us. But when the donor meets our doctor, our doctor called us immediately telling us that donor is overweight and was way too high on BMI and had given wrong information about her current weight. So we decided to drop her. Once again we were at square one. Till then 2013 had arrived. We got another donor who was supposed to go for screening in March of 2013 so for us the wait game began....

Days were passing by snail's speed. Then something happened. Something which had never happened with me in my entire menstrual life had happened. I missed AF. Initially I thought it was due to stress and anxiety I am late on my AF. But my DH was optimistic! On day 7 of my missed period he started pestering for a home pregnancy test. I was reluctant about it as I was pretty confident that I am not pregnant after all the pains and disheartening results and even with help from the modern technology nothing worked then how come suddenly I am pregnant. But to put his and my mind to rest we did the pregnancy test a week later which came out to be positive. My heart skipped the beat and we were confused, happy, surprised, scared everything...We were in shock of denial. To confirm we immediately called our fertility center and they called us ASAP for blood work. With a suspicion in our minds and keeping our fingers crossed we went for blood-work. I was never scared of blood draw earlier during the cycles but this time I was dizzy and nervous...We came home and the wait game for much awaited phone call began. Each passing minute felt like a day...And suddenly our phone rang...My nurse from other side was telling us “Congratulations, the test came back positive...”and I was I knew it would be a false alarm....then again nurse said no it’s not a false alarm my dear, u seriously are pregnant and we would like you to come down for ultrasound a week later.. Now, we were in complete disbelief. For next 7 days we took tons of EPT's just to see that positive sign....Finally the day arrived for our u/s. AND.....there it was.....our baby....breathing inside me.....forming....I really was pregnant with our first miracle and joy. We could clearly hear the baby's heartbeat. At that point I was 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant!!!!!!

And by God's grace, I am expecting my second kid at age 37 in February 2017. This one too is natural pregnancy.

So bottom-line is please don't lose hope. In this journey I have learnt a lesson, keep on doing good and positive things you are already doing. In this process I felt husbands are the weakest and they also start blaming themselves and that creates a rift between wife and husband. I would say this is the time to make your bond strong with your husband as it will help both of you to cope with challenges parenthood has to throw once you enter it.

2. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

Congratulations! Stories like this give me hope and make me want to keep trying

ashima10 and Agony like this.
  3. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

Thanks for understanding what I am going through. This is exactly what I felt when I wrote that I dont intend to go for surrogacy or adoption. Its a tough journey!

Rise, Agony and MalStrom like this.
  4. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite

HI Elsa,
    Let me share my story.
    We too had low sperm count and low morphology. After my husband consulted with a urologist we found out that the reason for low sperm count was his vericocele veins. These veins obstruct the flow of sperms. So we planned a surgery to remove the obstruction. However, the surgery was no guarantee. We still went ahead with his surgery.
    After waiting for around 10- 11 months, husband got his count checked. To our surprise, the count was worst than it was before. With the worst low sperm count, our doctor suggested for IVF. We went ahead with our 1st IVF. It failed, in spite of good embryo quality.
    We took a break for a month. Then suggested IUI to our doctor. Doctor agreed to it reluctantly. Hubby's sperm count was unbelievably good when checked during IUI.
    We did IUI with 4M post wash 50% motility. We conceived successfully with the 1st attempt of IUI.
    Bottom line- Do not lose hopes, keep trying. I believe that there is no perfect formula, whether it is IVF or IUI or natural. Do not lose hopes, keep your mind, body happy and stress-free.

Rise, Elsa, Vasumathy and 4 others like this.
  5. HoneyChinni

HoneyChinni New IL'ite

Hi Elsa,

Sorry to hear your struggle and pain.. I am also in the same boat..I am 35yrs old and still no luck in getting pregnancy.. I can totally understand your pain as I am going trough the same phase too.. You know my cousins marriage is there and I am not going, only to avoid peoples n relatives questioning about kids ..I have gone through all the tests like HSG, Ultra sound.. Everyting is normal from my side..I haven't talked to the doctor about IUI or IVF..we thought enough what should be done and now decided this time we should ask the doctor directly to proceed to IUI or IVF.. Everymonth I wait that I get conceived..but every time its a big disappointment.. You are correct, for some couples its so easy to get pregnant for some its difficult..
    but I am not going to lose hope and faith in god.. I am trying to be strong and cool.
    I wish you do the same..Never lose hope and give space for negative thoughts.. all you need is strength and positivity.. from now on you will be there in my prayers too.. Be brave Elsa and all the best

Elsa likes this.
  6. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

An update from my end, not a happy one though! I am planning to go for a 3rd IUI this month. I got 2 back-back IUIs done last month. Unfortunately, I haven't been lucky enough to get pregnant. I have decided to try another round of IUI this cycle. I am not even sure, when to stop IUI's and go for IVF. I have lost all hopes of having a child any time soon. I have put my career on hold, stopped socializing and haven't been in touch with friends and relatives. I can't stop crying when someone shares news about their pregnancy or baby birth. Not that I am jealous of them, but it reminds me of how unfortunate I am. I haven't been able to take up a good job as well, as I will have to keep taking off for clinic visits, tests and procedures. My whole world has come to a stand still. Everytime i get a negative pregancy result, All I can do is, cry as much as I want to, wipe my tears and then try again.

7. Ihavehope

Ihavehope Silver IL'ite

Hi Elsa,

If IUI does not work, go for IVF. Put all your efforts and money on IVF with ICSI, because that has far better chances even with low motility and sperm count than IUI and normal IVF.

One more thing - always be positive. When you hear that someone is pregnant, tell yourself that you will be the next one to give the good news to your friends. Keep thinking that and most importantly believe in it. Also as the days pass by, keep thinking and believing that you are getting closer to conceiving and delivering your LO.

PS: I did two IUIs before I decided to go through IVF (4th IVF one was the charm). I was 37 when I conceived.

dc24, Elsa and ashima10 like this.
  8. Agony

Agony Gold IL'ite

Hello !

Don't start the cycle with so much of negativity .. leave it to the alimighty.
    I know ur stressed , I have been there too.. but u have to keep telling urself that it's going to happen very soon.
    U give it ur all and leave it to god.
    When the timing is right, u will conceive.
    Go ahead with this 3rd IUI with only positive thoughts.
    Let's wait for the result of this cycle and then think wat to do next ..
    All the best ..!
    Stickiest baby dust
    Pray well,

dc24 and Elsa like this.
  9. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

Your post brought tears in my eyes. God bless

Elsa likes this.
  10. happydheivanai

happydheivanai Silver IL'ite

Hi Elsa,

Dont worry, Im also in the same boat.

TTC for past 2.5 yrs but due to azoospermia i was not able to conceive. recently we moved to USA FREMONT.

In india ,my husband use to take siddha medicine but no use after coming here he is not taking any medicine

we also dont know what to do how to proceed.

Now a days the infertlity issue was high... no use of worrying god has his own plan.

b positive