1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

India Trip Confusion

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Prabh, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Prabh

Prabh New IL'ite

Hello everyone
    Looking for solution for the confusion i am facing regarding in laws...
    we are in US
    were living with in laws before coming here so know them well

had some bitter experience which my husband may have forgotten but i still remember what we have faced.... all includes money oriented things

in short some points about my in laws from past experience so that you all can guide me accordingly
    mil and fil both are cunning
    mil specially expect lots of gifts
    mil is insecure about her son i.e my husband that after marriage he ll go away if she will not do silly things (like emotional drama)
    mil expects we should buy all household things even if we visit for short time period to india
    where she is not ready to spend a single peeny.. and if she do that ;ike if she spends 500 bucks on us for anything till the next day she is ready to take 1000 bucks in the form of anything personal for her.
    still remeber her continuous interference in my life... wen we visit india.. no knocking at our room door, no privacy etc

so now again india trip is coming and here are somethings i want to ask
    i got blessed with baby and now we are going first time with baby to india
    she is continusoly over the phone saying to my husband( i am listening as phone is over speaker)regarding the money or fixed deposit she wana do in the name of my baby..

now all of sudden things are on othr end..
    my husband told them to get something at home gt done this time.. like refurnishing of the in laws home and all .. thatv costs in lacs

so suddenly at the moment my mil told if u are coming and if yoou are going to make us spend so much at home then we will not to fixed deposit in name of your child..

my concern is
    first thing we dint asked you regarding money for our child.. thats your first grand child you shd give it thats not any extraordinary thing
    then if husband is willing to do somethings at homwe thts for their benefit only and if they are spending money on home they are going to live there... and how can someone related to child
    so with this i am confused that weather i should ask her to buy few things i wanted her to buy beforehand we reach at home in india for my kid so that after reaching there immediately we dont have to run to market as first india visit will be tough with baby so wana spend intial days at home

i asked her over phone she said yes u ccan tell we will buy no need to carry everything from US
    but knw after remebering her nature and past incidence i am thinking weather to ask her or not...
    my mother's place she is going to buy and theya re in different cities so dont want to carry from one place to other.

and please guide that how to confront her with silly things she do like all the day sitting in our room
    coming without knocking etc..

waiting for your reply
    thanks

2. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

I would suggest you to carry at least in small quantities, everything that you need for your baby for atleast 5-7 days of your stay in India. That way, you dont have to go out fir shopping immediately after you land in India.

Your MIL or FIL need not have to go out to get things that your baby needs, and you will be spared of the whole drama that follows.

sindmani and swapna15 like this.
  3. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Hi @Prabh,

Congrats on your new baby! Which place will be more comfortable for your baby? Your mom's or in-laws? Is it easier to travel to your mom's place instead of your in-laws place?
    If you have no other choice except to go to your ILs, you could ask your MIL to buy the baby things beforehand. Are you concerned she will ask money in return even for the baby things? If so, keep yourself prepared for this situation and ask your husband to take care of it. After this trip I assume you will be visiting after a year or so, so deal with it and let it pass. Plus, your baby should be your priority, not your MIL - during this trip or any other. So, try and keep yourself stress-free at your ILs place.

What is your husband's take on the FD? It is his child too and he can question his parents' behaviour directly. You didn't ask for money, you know how they are, so why worry about their behaviour?

Lock your doors, she will have no choice except knock!! :tonguewink:

sindmani and MNR like this.
  4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I never understood the logic behind NRI kids expecting parents to upgrade their homes so that their visits lasting couple of weeks are comfortable.
    Let ur inlaws decide when and how they prefer to remodel. It isnt ur hubbys call
    Makes complete sense. IF she has some money set aside to FD and u expect her to plunge that into a remodel what else do u expect?
    Then by that logic any gifts u give ur inlaws are no biggie..they are ur hubbys parents.
    yes but whos paying?

Dont. How do u manage when u come here from India after ur vacation? U do manage to head out to a grocery store right? Non-perishables to last a few days..take from here. Perishables...Wire her some money ..ask her to get the things delivered to the home...pay the delivery and make her life easy.
    ask ur husband to head out to a store and get the supplies .
    Can be done.

SGBV, blissofmylife, SunPa and 13 others like this.
  5. meepre

meepre Gold IL'ite

Dear op,

I am not much experienced in such issues, but I can give few suggestions.
    Fixed deposit for baby is something they should be willing to do on their own. If they say can't do, tell ur dh to tell to them in a sweet tone, "its ok ma no problem we also have been thinking of starting a fd and we will do it". Don't discuss this further. If done should be done wholeheartedly.
    About things you want to but for the baby, when you know her type better not ask her to get. Check if those items are available on online stores like Amazon, flipkart etc.. If so get it from there and make sure the delivery date is before you reach India.
    When she enters your room without knocking and you feel uncomfortable make your husband say it to her as his own feeling.
    Have a safe travel and enjoy your trip.

sindmani likes this.
  6. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Money is a limited resource in most of the Indian families. Very few are financially strong enough to spend money on multiple things at the same time. Spending money on house and then fixed deposit may not be financially feasible for them. Though the idea of renovating the house or buying furniture and backing it up with "somethings at home that's for their benefit only and if they are spending money on home they are going to live there." gets diluted here if you guys are not sharing in the expense.

You wont be living there, so don't force them to get this done.
    Remind your DH that he lived in that very house before moving to the states and that he should not find faults or try and change things for his aging parents now. For old parents it becomes hard to handle their cooking and regular activity when there is huge renovation or refurnishing happening. Usually refurnishing involves daily workers in the house asking for multiple things to be brought from hardware shops etc.

If they feel they need to do things for their house, they will do it when it suits them and fits in their budget. If your husband is paying for it, then its a different story altogether.

Also, on the FD. Sorry but I choose to disagree that they "should give". I am not sure how your traditions work but as an individual I would not say that they "should" give money because its the first grand kid. If they choose to give, that's sweet. If not, that is perfectly okay. Love should not be measure with big fat FDs.

You can give a list to your husband and ask him to go to the shops and bring whatever you listed down. For the first few days you can carry baby food.

You already have the answer in your question.

Turn the IGNORE mode ON. You are there on a holiday. So have a holiday and come back. Don't spoil it with confrontations and proving points. This will ruin the whole idea of a holiday. You dont have to win arguments and prove your points before you come back. such confrontations will cause unnecessary dramas and issues that will extend beyond your holiday - via calls and mails.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    SGBV, sindmani and NeetaR like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Online Shopping India | Buy Mobiles, Electronics, Appliances, Clothing and More Online at Flipkart.com
    Online Shopping: Shop Online for Mobiles, Books, Watches, Shoes and More - Amazon.in
    Baby Products Online India, Kids Online Shopping, Baby Care Products at Firstcry.com
    and many more online shopping options.

Order online from the U.S. for delivery in India. What cannot be ordered online, do without or send husband to buy it after you land in India.

First trip with baby will be as tough as you make it. From experience, I can tell you, the long flights are harder than the stay in India. Focus on the baby, on having the baby meet grandparents for the first time. Did your parent(s) come to help with baby? If not, it is first time for both sets of grandparents to meet the baby. Capture that moment when their eyes behold their grandchild. The joy you see in their eyes, will be quite unparalleled.

Enjoy the vacation, your hands will be full, you will welcome any help, even if that comes with people entering your room without knocking. The FD and home improvement, let your husband handle. It is customary in some households that when NRI child visits the house, it is also an occasion to upgrade some things, and child pays for all or part of it.

SGBV and sindmani like this.
  8. saps105

saps105 Gold IL'ite

hi op,

I know with small baby it is going to be difficult. If she asks for money for buying things for the baby then fine, give it. Most probably they are retired, living expenses are high in India and cannot have additional burden. she is buying for your child. Maybe your parents can afford it and In laws cannot. give her the money without asking. I would do that.

We too buy all the household and groceries when we go to India. The only income my ILs have is FILs pension which isn't much. When we go there are 5 members. grocery purchase will be too much for them for 5 ppl. We buy most of the time, FIL pays too. We too eat and use those groceries then what is the problem in putting in your share.

About she coming and sitting in your room, might be a problem if you are keen on privacy. But the thing is, she seeing all of you after a year atleast. She wants to spend time with you. ILs too want your company. Spend time with them. Is she a mean MIL that you can't sit with her and talk? She is just seeking your company, give it. They are alone throughout the year or years. Vacation time is only a month, after that you can have all private moments after you come back. Be a bit more considerate towards them. how many years they have.

just my opinion.Sorry op if you don't like it.

SunPa and sbonigala like this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op....it is best to buy stuff for the baby yourself because things may turn out different from what you want .Your inlaws probably don't even know the stuff that babies use these days.Keep a stock for 2-3 days ,then go out and get or pre order.

As for FD...I think it is pretty entitled to think that grandparents should make and FD because it is their grand child.Seriously...haven't the grandparents (of both sides) done enough for you and your husband ?

As for the renovation.
    If the renovation is being done for your visit/convenience,then you people should pay for it.
    Do you realize how much trouble it is to renovate an old house...specially for old people?

I am amazed how much the parents are ready to bend for NRI children .The same children who grew up in the house can now not use the same bathrooms or kitchens and things need to be changed for them. The same parents will be ready to make their other non NRI children sleep on the floor in the living room when they visit.

I feel both are at fault here.
    I have yet to see any one get the house renovated to suit the needs of parents who are growing old. Renovation that will make life easier for the older people.

SGBV, yesican, Lakshmi6197 and 6 others like this.
  10. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

This is something bothers me as well. Treating NRI kids as if they are coming from heaven.