My Last "india"thread. Plsss Bear With Me..

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Sep 30, 2016.

1. coolmum

coolmum Silver IL'ite

Sailing in the same boat @anika987 . Now I realize the mistake I did too. Focusing on the BAD.
    Family n friends FB pics had a big impact. Like other ILites said , Itsn't ROSY always . Thanks for starting this thread. Me too living abroad ,only because of my son. And be a SAHM in a rural country side is very hard. No temples here. Of late, I am doing volunteering. But still I miss India a lot and trying to come out of the BLANK life. By God's grace, we are going home every year.

anika987 likes this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sorry - I never responded to this.
    I don't know, Anika.

How old are your kids?
    Mine went in elementary and still talks about how it was in India. It was just better for her socially. The joy of coming home, throwing her bag and running downstairs to play - that's hard to replicate! I agree, I got busy after getting back so even though I did a play date/movie date etc here and there life got in the way. It's just complicated to have an active daily play routine going. Unless you happen to have kids on the same street and or are that free. It just doesn't happen easily.
    Sometimes I do feel like you. It isn't like we don't prioritize the kids and their needs but we do need to do things that make us happy too.
    You need to decide if it's going to truly be what you anticipate it to be. Plus the logistics aren't simple. It's quite a lot of things - finances, finding jobs, selling home here, buying there, school admission(it's a chore in itself) etc.

coolgal123 and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Can I be frank laks?i do understand the logistics a bit but my mind is accepting but heart is not
    I really do not know what I am doing here in USA.. hubby leaves early and comes home late..me take care of house, kids ,cooking routine work.

Friends/social life...one need to work hard and sustain it and it is so forced and not natural like in India

Beaches are not the same as in India..

The Movies..it is not like in India..

Functions/festivals don't feel the same

all am doing is sitting and cleaning the housework and even when I was working,I could not afford much help.in India one can afford a maid

I know one says adapt to this lifestyle.
    I try very hard but I cannot cheat my conscience!yes..it is very luxurious and money wise better but am having BLAND feelings.i exist that's all.

Today when I drove home from a temple it was so quiet and only farms around..It was quite depressing..

What did I trade my life for??wat am I even doing here!i cannot go back coz my mil is super dominating and I will be a full time maid for everyone.husband though nice to me is the most dutiful son ever.not that anything is wrong but he feels his mom suffered a lot raising him(given the fact she had two maids those days and one even cuts veggies and keeps for her)

Just for the sense of belonging I wanted to go back,giving up the good life and privacy in USA and ready to be treated
    Like a doormat but hubby loves it here and wants his kids to grow up in USA.well,as for me...

I have accepted.To live with a lingering pain in my heart forever and am actually getting better at it everyday

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    dc24 and coolgal123 like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

At one point, I've felt the same. It felt like something was missing. Couldn't ever put words to it. Especially after coming back. I mean every place has its draw backs but Janmabhoomi is Janmabhoomi. Every time I travel, those landing lights at Bangalore airport gives me such a rush!

All that said, it's best to accept what you have. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Money is important, Anika. Today, I can tell you with conviction that having a better financial situation is helping us tremendously. I used to be the kind that said that it's the least important thing. Even now, I ask my DD to follow her dream and as long as she can survive, money shouldn't be the motivator for finding a passion. But then, money at times can do things for you that you wouldn't have dreamt you would need. So don't discount money entirely.

And self respect is important too. Well, today it doesn't seem all that important but ask those women who take crap from their PILs day in and day out as to how it is like. Don't take what you have here lightly.

It took me years and a lot of conscious effort but now I'm at peace with this home. I actually started calling this place home only in the past couple of years or so.

Try being active in the community. Volunteering for people in this place actually gave me a sense of belonging. It also is a good way of giving back.

You have to get it out of your mind that you are staying home and doing mundane chores while your DH is away at work and wasting your time. That kind of self deprecating thoughts aren't good for you.
    And when self pity gets to you, get it out. I don't allow myself to mope in misery for a long time. I give myself a set amount of time to cry, feel bad for myself and then it's time to move on. The more you think about all that's wrong, the more negative you feel. That positivity thread is there for a reason. Try and stay active there. Look for the small things. Training your mind to look for positives actually works. It has helped me a lot in the past few yrs. I actively train my thoughts away from the things I have no control over. I am actively teaching myself to look at the positives. Thinking positive actually begets a more positive outlook in general.
    Once you feel positive, you will accept your situation and look for avenues to enrich your life in this country.

This is life, friend. There are too many good things in it to constantly keep looking at what's not working in your favor.

Lathasv, coolmum, guesshoo and 4 others like this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you laks.that was a very heartfelt reply.it makes me feel better.

true money is very important.it is a given.inlaws..too many things have happened that it is hard to forget and move one.the words like "lava"..gosh!!living with that?! What am I thinking?

Anyways whatever it is the only soothing factor is my child who hugs me and says "I love u" often:) can sacrifice anything for that love

Laks09, coolgal123 and dc24 like this.
  6. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

@anika987 , may be for you, moving to warmer place and big cities like sanfrancisco , or newyork(but cold place), helps, (please see the city related Indian forums or discussion about life in those cities. ) , and joining to college in those cities may bring the lifestyle back that you wish for.

Before I used to think my H is best friend and share everything only with him, and never looked outside for friendship, except normal social get togethers, again with his friends families only, with whom I never bonded as we had nothing common.
    Now I am being myself and talking with people just as being myself, not as a family unit, I am able to bond with few people I really enjoy the company,

Laks09, anika987 and Rihana like this.
  7. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Why not consider taking up a job? A career?

anika987 likes this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I was working before kids.infact timings were like 10 to 7.still I felt bland in sense always missed India.i can find a job and keep very busy and it's not that am not happy here but there is always a void of missing our hometown.

9. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

I did not mean job for "being busy" - yes, we can be super busy as SAHM also.
    I meant pursuing a career as one of the (not necessarily the most) fulfilling thing (not for monetary sake alone or for sake of busy) - though it will NOT directly alleviate the missing hometown - agreed.

anika987, guesshoo and Laks09 like this.
  10. coolmum

coolmum Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot . Its wonderful how you changed and accepted this as home. Really its inspired me.I am reading again and again your feedback

Laks09 and anika987 like this.