1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Everyday Seems A Struggle With My In Law

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by meename, Oct 23, 2016.

1. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

My mil has a habit of shouting at me . First few years I used to keep quiet and answer her quietly . But after having baby I started getting panic attacks whenever I heard news that she is coming to stay for 2 weeks . She kind of does ragging for everything .
    ReCently I had to stay with her for 20 days
    I want to know if my reaction is right
    Some samples
    1. Recently my kid is not eating rice. I told her that I will make roti for toddler. She shouted at me saying if I finding fault in her rice. She was not talking but shouting . I replied her calmly that I am telling that Baby is not eating rice . That is why I told. Finally next day even after telling many times she has made rice for baby and telling me to give that . So after she went out I made roti and gave . She is making big fights for this. How should I react
    2. I was getting ready to go to mall. I was about to get kid ready after I put on my makeup . She shouted at me that I have to put pants for her , powder , bindhi etc. It was just 5 o clock and I was about to go to malls at 6.30 . She was shouting at high pitch for 10 minutes . I shouted back at her that I will get ready first and then only do for kid . Do you think I did right thing . Night I could not sleep as I shouted at her

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

When someone abuses or shouts at you for no reason, the best thing to do is to pull yourself up to your full height, show your palm outwards signalling stop and say, "you need to calm down", and leave the place. With your child. Don't react or respond to what they are saying. Respond to their tone and manner. Everytime. Don't provide an audience.

Regarding your child's food, start early and keep everything ready well before she throws her tantrum. Don't give reasons or justify yourself when your mil is screaming. And take your child away the second she starts screaming.

The one technique I have found useful for dealing with unwanted nagging / advice is to put my palm out to signal stop and saying, "I'll take care of it" or "I'll do it my way." Then change topic or walk away. If the others persist, I repeat the same phrase, calmly over and over again. It works.

If you get panic attacks, there are some excellent websites which give you the physiological changes that happen to you and suggest excellent breathing techniques to make yourself calm again. I suggest you look them up

coffeecups, Meet9, sindmani and 7 others like this.
  3. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

What is your H's take on his yelling mother?

4. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

Gunshoo I want to do the exact same thing as you said. I want to look at her eyes and say calm down and then you can talk to me.
    Yesterday when she was shouting at me that I had not put powder for kids, I wanted to do as you said . But instead I was looking at mirror, was getting ready and said in a loud voice , ' You have assumed that kid is already ready to go. I will get ready first and then only stato getting ready' .
    For next 2 hours , I felt happy that I shouted back at her . She has been doing this to everyone . But to me , she does it often and in very high pitch voice .
    I want to ask her ' mom, why are you screaming such that 100 houses can hear .' She would reply ' even 100 houses can hear . But you are not listening to me' . I want to say ' My ears become deaf if anyone screams .'. Will this reply be fine

5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Tell your husband to get her ears tested......tell him her screaming is getting too much.....may be her hearing is bad".Let her know her screaming is not normal and unless she has a hearing difficulty ,she has no reason to scream.

Next time tell her to stop screaming...your hearing is fine and you can hear her without the screaming.

sindmani, blindpup10 and dnormx01 like this.
  6. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

She talks to her husband and mother nicely and has very sharp ears . Even if I talk from very long distance she can hear like an animal.
    Initial years I was patient with her ( inside myself , I was going mad due to her) . Outside I acted as if nothing happened. But how can we ignore when someone screams constantly .
    After baby was born , I started being very stubborn and acted as per my wish . For example, she will give all medicines on her own whereas I will take to doctor and listen to doctor . She used to ask me to force feed but I never do . So I started being stubborn in things involved with child .
    As I was not listening to her advice ( force feed etc , she started projecting me as bad person who does not respect elders .
    In my hubby family everyone blindly follows her and she is like queen . I am already to adjust with her , but her shouting gets on to my nerves .
    She always talks to me in screaming voice . Morning too she shouted at me and for 2nd time today , I too raised my voice .
    Earlier when she screams I used to be silent and move awat after she shouts . But now a days my BP too is increasing.
    I am very much fed up of her .
    I am not taking all these matters to hubby as he is waste fellow . He says he loves me . But has never told his mom not to scream at me .
    On top of these , they want us to come to their hometown and take on their business. I cannot imagine life with her .
    I don't know what will I do if all that situation arises.
    I need to keep full stop for her behaviour. But my mom since as of now you are abroad , you don't create problems .
    But already I did huge mistake for four years by taking all her Bulls hit and keeping quiet .
    Since I was quiet initially , all have thought that I am a coward , silent , nice dil . She shouts at my hubby too but not as much as me and he has grown up with her so he ishould absolutely fine with it

7. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

She screams at him too . But to me , too much . As he got used to her screaming , he does not mind it . I was grown in a normal cool happy environment . Me ,my siblings , mom uses to laugh most of time , will be joking and used to love home as it was always a happy place . But his house is a scream
    Definitely I will try to do what you said ( to respond to tone and not the argument )
    . Need little more courage. My hubby is not with me now so I am scared if she will create some drama with this. But I wI'll definitely do it on e day as soon as possible.
    Regarding advices , I have succeeded little bit . I tell her indirectly that I will follow my way ..
    I will look at sites for panic attacks . Recently I lost all my sleep as she keeps compelling us to take up business. I am convincing my hubby to not go for it . But they emotionally blackmail. So I get scared if I will have to live in he'll permanently .

8. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

Does she shout/speak loudly on purpose or is her voice like that? There are a few people who have really loud voices, so much that even their whisper is crystal clear! they genuinely cannot lower the voice and talk/speak, forget when they shout! I have a friend who is a teacher and ended with this loud voice and gets into unwarranted situations.

If she is not like my friend and is shouting at you purposefully in a loud voice, then next time she begins to scream start boiling warm water in the oven. Once her session is done, give it to her and tell her, 'mom this will cure your throat and calm your mind too.' And whenever you visit a mall together, ask her, ' Mom, do you want to buy this mic? It's easier on your throat when you want to say something and all of us will hear it LOUD and clear.' Laugh and move on.

If both don't work, buy yourself headphones and keep them connected to the phone and in your ears. Whenever she shouts, pretend not to listen. Even better, play music and really ignore. She herself will get tired and realise there's no point. If anyone asks, tell them it's your way of relaxing while working.

Best of luck.

9. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

She speaks sweetly with others . Does this to me on purpose.
    I Ll trt head done things. Used to do it before . Now with kid not putting on much as I need to attend to her. But thanks for reminding . Ll do it.
    She definitely does not need mic as voice is very loud . But uses that loud voice for me , my child , my hubby

dnormx01 likes this.
  10. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite

May be u can try creating a drama when ever she shouts especially in front of dh, fil. Start crying and say for such smalll things u r shouting. Im very soft person. I got hurt. Create a scene that she is a villain. And u got stuck with her. This will definitely bring dh and others to your side.
    But when only you and ur mil are there dont react. Jus talk in a normal tone. Ask her to calm dwn first. Then to dh describe the scene. How much you were affected. You got panic attack. Put the pressure on him. Only when u put pressure on him. He will do something. Otherwise he will think that you can manage. Not bother about this at all.

This is something i followed. My mil will also scream at times. And now my dh will make sure that me and my mil meet when there is not much options left. He makes sure we dont meet often. Because he himself told me once that if you both ladies in one house together im not able to live peace fully.

sindmani likes this.