1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When Patience Is Tested And Respect Is Bound To Be Lost - Aplogies For The Major Rant

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sbonigala, Oct 10, 2016.

1. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

I must say I am amazed by your attitude girl!! You have gone through a lot of tough times.. And I am glad god has been kind to you.
    In every DILs life, there comes a moment when she realizes that a MIL will NEVER love her the way her mom did. It is a universal truth. No matter how lovey dovey your MIL is, there will be a low point in your lives where you will reveal your "true" feelings to each other . I have gone through it too. So I understand your feeling.
    Just know that this too shall pass. You have a "proper" family now. Some place to go back to..Enjoy and bask in its happiness.
    India trips are a sad time I know, but think of it this way - you dont have to deal with all the politics and "tug of wars" that other DILs have to bear. You dont have to see your parents being humiliated just because they are the "girl's" side. So wipe your tears and smile away girl!!! God is smiling at you :)

sbonigala and SGBV like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Looks like she has been a big part of the kids' lives, and helped with their care. Maybe just due to the fact that she is living with you guys, not that you wanted her to. But, her help has been a big support to you and DH in the hectic life with both working and two kids. With that in context - your recent asserting yourself finally can be viewed wrongly by others and her. They could claim you used her as long as needed and now talking back and so on.

The oily hair incident - if she has been looking after your child while you guys are at work, now or for extended periods over the years, then it gives her a bit of "right" to be upset when the child is scolded. The "my child, I am scolding her" argument gets a bit diluted when either grandparents are closely involved with the care of child. A paid care provider's say on your child ends when you pick your child up. A nanny's say ends when you reach home. A grandparent's say on your child doesn't end when you reach home from work.

Not to add to your troubles with unwell child and India trip coming up, but another perspective, and a possible explanation for her action/reactions, that you are seeking.

3. HemalathaRangar

HemalathaRangar Silver IL'ite

U did a silent and powerful reply to ur MIL..:clapclap::clap2:even v call our MIL as a mom,tey can't bcom a mom of us.. even tey can say ur lik my daughter but tey never ever treat us a daughter of their own... it's world nature...:BangHead::sconf:

4. harinideep

harinideep Gold IL'ite

I have on vacation in india now . Same thought like you . Sometimes I am feeling I could have enjoyed winter in us rather than coming here and getting hurted .
    But then I have written down list of things I wanted to do , which can be done only here and doing it one by one . Please create a list of things you wanted to do in india and do it and enjoy ( like going to local markets , fun times with cousins etc) and if possible blog each moment that you enjoy

5. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @Rihana.
    I understand your point.
    I also understand the reason for her silence when I scolded DD. With 12 years of being her DIL, I got some experience with her thought process.

But whenever I scold kids or even discipline them pat comes a statement from her, "who are you to scold the kids. You just gave them birth. It's my son's kids. Who would you have had kids with, had it been not my son? "

Disgusting to hear that. Ain't it?
    I still chose to stay quiet because I thought it's easy to win an argument than winning a person. I wanted to win the person.
    Now I realised that there's no way a MIL can be won neither the argument with her. Hence the change.

Rihana likes this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Is she implying that her son is free to do what he pleases? The same logic applies to her - she ONLY gave birth to her son. So she too has no claims on him, leave alone on his wife or children. I agree with Rihana that she has taken care of the kids for this long, but that does not entitle her to talk nonsense and to be insulting to the mother of the kids.

coolgal123 and guesshoo like this.
  7. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Dear @sbonigala.....

I don't know how i missed your thread.

Your post brought tears into my eyes dear, I was really touched by your story (not the issues with your MIL, but your past). These MILs stories and issues are quite normal. But I appreciate you the way you build your life without anyone's support that too in such a young age :worship2::worship2::worship2:

I appreciate you heartfully, you are great.

I need a break now, need to control my emotions.

sbonigala likes this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Horrible nasty woman!!!

9. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Hi Akka.
    Not sure what she implies. But that's what she says to all her DILs. That's one of the reasons the 2 older DILs chose not to stay with her.
    It comes easily to her. She says, " What gives you right to scold the kids. Without my son, how would you have had kids? You slept with my son and then you were pregnant. Don't forget that."

I hate to respond. I can't stoop down to her low standards of thinking and explain to her the fact that it doesn't need her son ONLY, and that any fertile man can make a fertile woman pregnant. And that if I was married to any other man, I would Still have kids.

She has the capacity to start at any point and drag it to every angle of life with her crying and silence and long time hunger strike. Nasty, you say? Yes she holds masters degree in that.

There were times when I used to be and make her talk, feed her food sometimes but now I gave up Akka.
    Can't afford to lose my dignity to pacify an adult.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My response would be something in the lines of "Giving birth trumps five minutes of fun so I think I've earned the right to chastise my kids".

I mean what's with women and sex lives of their DILs. It annoys me no end that MILs can calculate the day a baby was conceived, ask stupid questions and display cheap and crass behavior.

Parents shouldn't be talking about their adult children's sex lives in general.

coolgal123 and sbonigala like this.