1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Torn By What Language To Learn

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by ChennaiExpress, Oct 21, 2016.

1. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

hindi - important as you may not want to loose indian languages .
    spanish, useful as u live in usa, and also u get a chance to speak or use it, or can get books from library.

other languages, like german, even u learn where can u use it, and chances are more u forget it. unless u make an effort to remember

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  2. mohini16

mohini16 Silver IL'ite

Hindi - If you are Indian then you should know basic Hindi atleast
    French - Most popular second language in North America
    German / Spanish / Portugese- These languages are popular in Europe / Brazil / South American countries

Btw if you are learning second language for fun then doesnt matter which language you chose , learn whatever you like the most :)

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Language is an asset, and it always helpful specially in this small world.
    Treat language as language, and don't mix it with culture, people, etc...
    We learn English. It is not because we like English people. It is a language which helps us to make linkages. That should be the purpose of learning any language.

If I were you, I would start learning French. I see it is important in so many other ways.
    Then in parallel I would try learning Spanish, which is the most easiest language to learn.

It would be really bad/odd to say that you don't know any of your native language. Punjabi or Hindi, but my choice would be Hindi to call it as your native Indian language here.
    Since you are from India with an Indian background, I don't think it would be difficult for you.

If possible try to learn Arabic too... It is not too difficult.

4. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Wow! I'd love to learn a language for fun. When I think of German I think of sauerkraut and German forest chocolate cake. We all need to remember to have fun ... glad you bought it up.

Ah, French is beautiful language ... and so many coworkers from Haiti, Morrocco, etc speak it! And Spanish in parallel? Is that even possible? There are lot of Spanish-speaking people where I live.

Ah, learning in parallel would be interesting....

You are right, it would be odd to say I don't know Punjabi/Hindi .... still dealing with that ... will have to choose the easier one to learn eventually...

Arabic? Wow I never thought of that!

I wonder how long it takes to learn a new language

5. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Ladies I decided to start with Punjabi ... It's most easy for me to learn.

There are 35 letters in the alphabet. And I'm learning 5 at a time.

Also found resources on how Punjabi was spoken before the partition of India. That's the original and proper Punjabi.

I guess Punjabi is a "gateway" language. Itll help me figure our how to learn the Other awesome languages.

I'd be tickled to learn Tamil later on :hearteyes: