1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

High Bp

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by gok, Oct 12, 2016.

1. gok

gok Silver IL'ite

Is there a way to control high BP by food or naturally ...
    i know we need to reduce salt..

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@gok - It's best to get with a doctor and come up with a plan for this. It's not advisable to let BP stay high for long periods of time. Your doc will be able to counsel you on the right diet/exercise and meds combo for bringing it down to normal and keeping it that way. Depending on how high it is, meds maybe needed. Don't discount it completely.

3. MehulAtharvMom

MehulAtharvMom Gold IL'ite

@gok, I was about to start a thread , I found your post.
    I am having high bp fromlast 3 and 1/2 year , it came during pregnancy.

I am daily using medicine , but now even with medicine my BP is going high. Yesterday I consulted my DR. he added one more medicine. And asked to check BP regularly.
    One more thing my weight is 70 kgs. My ideal weight should be 52 kgs. I am advised to reduce weight first.
    I am trying but weight is not reducing.

I tried eating homeo medicine parallelly but didn't work on me.

As this is becoming a very common problem. I would IL to share there views.

4. RUTVARAM

RUTVARAM Junior IL'ite

Hello mehuladharvmom.... I am also having same problem. My weight is 90 kg. Bp always 140/90. Having tablets.but no improvement. Sometimes I scared of this.my Dr told to strict weight loss.but I am breast feeding my 4 months DD. After 1 year only I have to reduce weight

SrDoctor likes this.
  5. LakshmiMohan

LakshmiMohan Gold IL'ite

Hi All,
    If you are drinking coffee cut down on coffee as well. It will also help. And yes daily exercise like yoga will also help.

MehulAtharvMom likes this.
  6. lalsang123

lalsang123 Bronze IL'ite

Sugar intake should also be reduced for weight loss. Daily brisk walking is a must.. Daily eating an apple does help in weight loss.. Drinking lots of water also helps.. You should see to it that you get proper sleep as sleeping disorder may lead to BP and weight problems.. Thyroid problems can also lead to weight related issues.. Too much of any oil is also not good.. Instead of eating 3 full meals a day try to divide it into 5 to 6 small courses.. Don't starve yourself since the food that you take after that will completely get stored under your skin as fat..

7. gok

gok Silver IL'ite

It seems high BP is related to obesity. I started this thread for my friend, who is overweight as well and this has been a problem since her pregnancy, and medicines don't help her.
    She has reduced salt to half, that does not help either. May be weight reduction and yoga can help her.
    If there are other suggestions, please do post here...

I have low BP though I am overweight after my delivery. I have lot of stress and I am not taking medications. Please do suggest if there are any suggestions for this as well.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@gok high blood pressure needs lifestyle changes along with medicines.

I take medicines to regulate my heart rate and pressure for the last 17yrs. Started quite young. Always remains in the 120/80 and goes to 140/90 or 110/60 in rare cases.

Your doctor is the best judge. Doctors in general will not prescribe meds for bp with the first high reading they try to observe for a week or more with small corrections and assistance and instructions like reducing salt and exercise and proper sleep. If the reading still remains high then you are prescribed tablets that are part of the treatment for life in most cases. In such cases I would prefer to be evaluated by a cardiologist for the underlying reason for the high by. Sometimes it could be simple.Sometimes a composition of medicine or the dosage may not work for a person.

Initially when I started using meds I was prescribed two different commonly used tabes and I used to have swollen feet and have tiredness'. Later my cardio did another round of bloodwork and prescribed just a single tab that I have been using for the last 10yrs.

Apart from this..
    Time management is a key for both food and tabs. Make it a point to take your hp med at the same time everyday. For me it is 8 in the morning and my alarm goes off reminding me.
    Reducing salt is important equally important is to understand that some food that we eat naturally contain salt. Being aware of what you eat helps a lot.
    Exercise like walking definitely helps.
    Proper sleep and stress free days helps.
    And yes losing weight or losing inches helps in reducing the strain on the heart thus helping with the bp.
    But first take a doctor opinion. Bp is not a condition you treat with home remedies alone

gok, MehulAtharvMom and Laks09 like this.
  9. MehulAtharvMom

For low BP, you can increase salt intake. Just ask Dr. Don't be without medication, my sincere advise.

10. MehulAtharvMom

@Shanvy, lat visit my Dr gave me medicine to heart rate and added one more medicine for Blood pressure control.
    I am cutting off meals at time and started small meals inbetween, hope this will help me in reducing weight too.
    Since you are taking from last 17yrs, you will be one of best person to guide.

I am taking for last 3 and 1/2 years and really frustrated of eating tab daily.
    My BP remains stable but some time in 2 or 3 months it start giving high readings.

Keep suggesting.