1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Here are the pictures I promised.
    The first picture is shelves that have my petticoats, white on one side colors on the other.
    View attachment 243366
    Second picture: after they are placed in bins.
    View attachment 243365
    Third and fourth pictures: petticoats are placed vertically in the bins so that I can locate and pull out the one I need easily.
    View attachment 243367 View attachment 243368
    Trust you find this helpful.

Even better organized would be to place same colors together ... grrens, blues, etc.

My presence here seems to have deterred others from posting.
    Perhaps I am intruding. Sorry.
    Will say bye now. I'll peep in every now and then.

I also thank @Bubbles and @BDivya for taking up the thread and anchoring alongside Akilamani.
    Thanks a ton!
    Enjoy your time here.

periyashan likes this.
  2. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

No way!!! Please keep dropping in!
    I, among other people, will be eternally grateful to you for getting this thread started in the first place - fabulous one! Particularly when homemaking/homekeeping seems like a drudgery, one peep in here used to rev up my spirits so!

Maybe the usual posters have become skilled and set in their routines ;)

kkrish likes this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Bubbles .
    You made my day.

Well, one my reasons for having cut my time here is time management.
    One day when I was documenting where my time is used it was shocking to see that about three- four hours a day I was spending online - internet browsing - FB, here, Pinterest, another social network, etc.
    Thats when I decided to cut down my online presence. Now I go to FB also very sporadically.

The othe day I came here to get one of my snippets to share with my friend. Thts when i peeped here too :).
    After you put so nicely, i cannot refuse. Let me workout my timetable once again.
    Any queries such the laundry issue will be helpful to write something about.

Regards
    K

4. chithirainilavu

chithirainilavu Gold IL'ite

@ kkrish mam,

Sooooooooooo happy to see you here mam, after a long time. Even i didn't come here regularly , everytime i come here, i promise i will be regular in posting but it didn't happened.

Just a brief about my last one year

same time last year had a spine surgery quite critical, complete bed rest for a month and recovery took a year. I had to be very slow and cautious which was opposite to my nature , i was always super active , and this rest, made me depressed , but quickly gathered myself and back to routine within 3 months. had a transfer and took time for settling in new place. My twin angels are growing and too demanding also.

We would always love your presence here mam. Do keep coming and motivating us and you r an inspiration for us

@ bubbles ,

I am yet to be skilled with my regular routine , :smile:. Some thing keeps happening and i'm irregular here. Now i will make it a regular practice

shara

Bubbles and kkrish like this.
  5. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

Not at all @kkrish ...please do come DAILY and motivate us with ur timetables and everyday plans....thats where we develop the interest and get the enthu... will be eagerly waiting for ur comments and replies daily :)

kkrish likes this.
  6. periyashan

periyashan New IL'ite

hi mam
    you are correct some times sitting in front of compter blogging browsing takes our time more than that we planned to do something important must have a time management system.
    hope someone have a suggestion
    thanks
    periyashan

kkrish likes this.
  7. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Kkrish - Please keep dropping by and posting pictures. I learned so many things by going through your previous posts and you are a great inspiration to me.

When you stopped posting here I really missed reading your posts.

Hello everyone - hope everyone is doing good.
    Today I made sambar,Idli, Peanut chutney. (I am off today)
    Went to school to eat lunch with my daughter.
    Did Laundry.
    Evening going out for Dinner.

kkrish likes this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

My dears
    I had a lump in my throat reading your warm welcome.

@chithirainilavu : Hi Shara..sorry to hear about your spine surgery. I can imagine how difficult it would have been for you and you family as well. It might have slowed you physically but I am glad it has not slowed your spirit. Take time to get healed completely. This slowdown may be just temporary. Happy to know your daughters are doing good.

Thank you @BDivya : Though I'd love to come here everyday, I know it is not feasible given my current schedule. I will post and hope to get into a schedule soon. Temporarily I may be sporadic. Thank you for your lovely welcome.

@periyashan : Yes, weaning myself from the computer was difficult at first. Internet browsing is addictive. I'll write about in the next post. This definitely falls under time management. Thanks for the good topic.

@veeramachaneni : Hi Priya how are you? I am sorry to have left, killing your enthusiasm. But as mentioned earlier I had to do it. I will start posting, only not sure how often.

chithirainilavu likes this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Internet browsing.
    Periyashan brought up a good topic on computer time. Let me write here how I hit more birds with reduced computer time.

The day I realized I was spending a large chunk of my time on the internet I decided to allot time in my calendar everyday. I tried it for a week, but still could not keep within the one hour I had allotted. I was still spending as much time. Then one day I decided to take a clean break from the computer. Only exception was to check email.

The first week was very difficult. After checking my email my mouse would automatically go to favorites and hover over IL, FB, Pinterest, NASA (I was writing articles on space for an educational website), the educational website, and other favorites. It took immense will power to say no, get up from my desk and move away.
    Every few minutes I wanted to know who posted what in all these websites. i was suffering from withdrawal symptoms.
    My first rescue was story books. I re-read my favorite author Lakshmi's novels - no I did not do any work with the time I got. I needed some media to read. Only made sure it was not the computer.
    After two novels, by this time it was almost two weeks away from the internet, I decided to put the time more usefully.

I decided to pursue my music and enrolled into a music class via Skype. This means I needed to practice music for at least an hour. Music also helped calm my nerves.

Meanwhile, there was a walking challenge in my workplace. I joined in it and tried to walk more. I had read that sitting most of the day is as bad to the health as smoking. My husband, seeing my enthusiasm to walk, gifted me a Fit Bit. I have now started walking.

At work, every hour I get up and walk to the water fountain to fill up my water bottle. ( I record my water consumption on the fitbit app). I would then take the longer route back to my seat. On good days I would go outside the building and walk for five minutes (500 steps).

Coming home, I have my evening cup of coffee with my husband, talk about the day, and watch one TV program (recorded) while I fold the day's laundry. Then after I take care of the evening meal, other chores, music practice, I would just walk round and round the house till I reach 10,000 steps.

A month or so after this regimen I restarted my research on space for my articles and kept my computer time to one hour, only on Saturday mornings, and also stepped into FB and Pinterest. I could not sit for very long; always wanted to get up and do physical stuff.

This Saturday I am posting here. Did not go to FB. My space article project has been completed; so no more other website. Guess I will rotate my Saturday mornings ( one hour) between here, FB, and others :)

In a gist - Internet reduction time does not come easily. Having other interests will be of great help. Do not give up easily or beat yourself up if you find yourself spending too much time on the internet. Make small changes.

Best wishes.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Ok Dears
    Here is my Saturday post:
    My plan for the weekend.

This morning I have a 11 am music class. It is 9 am now.

B,fast - Dosai. Will grind some chutney and use some leftover sambar.
    Practice music before class.
    Music class till noon.
    Lunch will be last night's leftover Bisibele bhath.
    Go out for my weekly shopping.
    Hope be back by 4-5 pm.

Cook dinner - veggie pulao, gravy (will make extra for Monday night's chappathis), raitha.
    Practice music for half hour.
    Set out ingredients for making murukku, and boondhi laddu for Deepavali.

If I have energy and time, may make a batch of murukku.

Sunday -

Breakfast - Pooris. Always a Sunday special.
    Prepare a light lunch and a light dinner too.
    Finish the savories for Deepavali first.

At 4 pm I get students for vocal music. (I teach vocal music and am learning instrumental).
    After they leave I might choose to make the laddus or do them Tuesday evening. I have music class Monday evenings.

Because of Deepavali and the additional Saturday music class, my regular weekend schedule has been altered. Some time today or tomorrow I'll give a quick check to see if I have my work clothes ready.

Ok, have to get moving....
    Have a great weekend and upcoming week.

chithirainilavu likes this.