1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lucky

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by blindpup10, Oct 21, 2016.

1. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

This is my first time posting on Snippets of Life... please bear with me on this narrative of the pet dog Lucky.

After my mother and my aunt’s marriage, my grandparents dwelling in the city wanted some time for themselves, recoup energy decided to go visit their friend, Gopi mama who lived in a hill station. My grandpa a strict disciplinarian, had never seen the need for pets in his life before. Although my uncle had begged for a dog, my grandpa had strictly said NO. On the other hand, Gopi mama lived in a big mansion in a hill station, they had a coffee plantation, grew black pepper and had few dogs around their estate.

Around the time my grandparents visit, a dog in Gopi mama’s house was in its full term pregnancy and was about to give birth. On the day my grandparents got to the estate, they found Gopi mama running around with a vet. The vet and few other workers from the plantation were helping the dog to give birth.

My grandpa who had never witnessed anything of this sort wanted to observe. The poor dog was having a tough time pushing its puppies… The first 3-4 puppies made it out easy, however, the 5th one had already died and the dog seemed to be having a very hard time pushing its dead puppy out. Finally, after an hour or so of struggle the 5th one came out and the 6th one followed. After close examination, my grandpa, the vet, and Gopi mama were surprised to see the 6th puppy to be alive, as they had expected the 5th and the 6th puppy to have been dead.

With such an unexpected turn in events. The 6th puppy was taken away from the mother and wrapped up in warm blankets to give some extra warmth.

When the 6th puppy was reintroduced to the mother, the mother how was exhausted from giving birth had some favorites already and gave much less importance to the 6th puppy. Seeing how things were taking a turn Gopi mama and the vet made a call that the 6th puppy will die soon.Therefore they shouldn't get attached or name the 6th puppy.
    The reason that was given was- it is cold in the hill station, if the mother rejects to protect and feed the 6th puppy, it will eventually succumb to the nature of being less nutrient and find it hard to fight among its sibling for food. Even if the dog survived wouldn't be a healthy dog… was their verdict.

When the vet told the reality of the little runt- my grandpa who was overwhelmed by seeing the dog giving birth and miracle of life coming into existence. Felt the need to outrightly blurt out that he will take the puppy away from the hill station and hopes to see the puppy would survive.

As the men agreed that the puppy would travel with my grandpa given the fact it survives until my grandpa’s stay. The woman who were in the house had no clue the decision being made. When my grandpa told my grandma about his decision, the fit my grandma threw has been retold like this story in my family. My grandma who is orthodox, strictly vegetarian absolutely did not see how the family could have an animal running around and making a mess of everything.

With all ending well on the day's note, apart for my sour grandma. Everyone including the puppies seems to be adjusting to the new world. With a lot of care given to un-named 6th puppy survived on cow's milk and extra blankets.

On the day my grandparents departed Gopi mama’s estate. The puppy got its name LUCKY.
    (to be continued...)

Here is an old picture of Lucky with my aunt sitting behind and grinning :)

Scan.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Sparkle, sindmani, kaniths and 5 others like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good Lord.. Lucky looks cute beyond words in that picture.

A story that warms the heart. Nicely narrated.

kaniths and blindpup10 like this.
  3. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Nice! Well-written! :)

blindpup10 likes this.
  4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Awww @blindpup10! Some things are just meant to be. [​IMG]

blindpup10 and kaniths like this.
  5. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Part 2

The black fur ball had curled on my grandpa’s lap. It would open its eyes and look up at my grandpa every once in awhile and fall asleep.

My grandma sat in the backseat of the Ambassador with a grump on her face. Everytime Lucky whined she sighed. She kept questioning my grandpa- “why do we need the responsibility of raising an animal in a stage where children are getting married?”

My grandpa who sat next to the driver kept nodding.

Grandma who had stayed in Gopi mama’s estate for around 2 weeks had not made an effort once to see the dog or touch Lucky.

Back in the day my grandpa coming from a humble background had worked hard to build a small sized house. Being able to be working in the city meant- having a small portion set aside for his brothers and his mother along with educating his 6 children. By the time 2 of his daughter's marriage life seem looked half full. With two children still in school and one in college and the other who had just graduated were already plenty of mouths to feed. My grumpy grandma, sat in the car thinking of ways to get rid of the little runt.

1. Wait until few more weeks until the puppy could regain its health and ask around neighbors to take the puppy.

2. My grandma’s sister lived in a small town and they had no children. Maybe she would take the puppy.

3. My grandma’s mother who had a coconut farm… may seem to have a need for a dog.
    Her worst fear of all- the dog running in the house, entering pooja room only to impure the sanctity of a clean household.

Until the puppy’s health would recover where would they accommodate the puppy my grandma thought. It couldn't stay in the little basket that Gopi mama had packed it in. What utensil is so worn out that she could use it to feed the dog…?? Was there any used bedspread, old towels that can become puppy's bedding? Grandma saw nothing but expenditure and wished they never came to Gopi mama’s house during this time.

My grandpa sitting alongside with the driver didn't know what to tell my grandma. He kept nodding as though he had an idea… but he didn't know anything about raising a dog. He kept thinking his wife is right in every way. They couldn't afford a dog that to a little runt, which might have a need for a vet. The emotional decision that was made have real consequences. Will they be able to care for the dog, what if Lucky doesn't live even with medical care? Wouldn't it be a waste of money given to an animal than his 2 children who were still in school? Lost in thoughts Grandpa sat in silence while petting the little dog which had curled up on his lap.

As both, my grandparents sat in the car without talking but thinking about the dog…

Lucky slept happily on my grandpa’s lap. The warmth from his lap gave a feeling of love and care. It looked up once in awhile to see my grandpa’s face, a confirmation that he wasn't abandoned. (to be continued...)

6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@blindpup10, I have a sinking feeling that I know the way this story is headed. :worried:

blindpup10 likes this.