1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Torn By What Language To Learn

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by ChennaiExpress, Oct 21, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

I only speak, read, write English and wish to learn another one.

I have big problem deciding

Punjabi
    Most easy for me toearn but associated with lot of bad memories, ie cruel, toxic mothet, evil, abusive ex
    Old Punjabi culture of my Grandparents was beautiful

Hindi
    Might as well learn Hinfu because 90% of Hindi is Punjabi and 10% of Punjabi is Hindi

French
    Beautiful language but foreign culture. Do the French love one another deeply with emotion or is everything physical?

Mandarin Chinese
    Chinese babies are cute and I notice they like me (maybe I look like a doll to them)
    But China is geographically close to India, makes more sense to learn Punjabi.

Sanskrit
    The root of all languages but where can I learn it. Plus who can I speak Sanskrit with?

Please please give thoughts.

momsky likes this.

2. lalsang123

lalsang123 Bronze IL'ite

I am also interested in learning a foreign language and I am confused on which one to learn.. Please help me out too in selecting the language..

3. idonthatemylife

idonthatemylife Silver IL'ite

OP, You can learn Spanish.Its widely recognised and spoken in lots of countries.Also very helpful if you are into travelling.Might come handy if you want to enjoy the beaches of South America or Spain.I took some Spanish classes and enjoyed them.Unfortunately could not continue.

KashmirFlower and ChennaiExpress like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I second Spanish. It's practically the second language where I live and it will be useful in large parts of the world. Chinese is useful if you plan to travel frequently/work in China. I don't know how useful it is otherwise. Sanskirit is great if you plan to study scriptures but esoteric otherwise.

5. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Depends on what your goals are! And there are some languages which will help you learn others easily - like if you learn Italian, Spanish is pretty easy.

German is very useful in Eastern Europe - Switzerland, Austria, Germany, and a lot of European businesses in engineering have some kind of contact with German companies.

Hindi is probably a good choice for you if you want to have something connected with India (I am biased since I am learning it bit by bit, I am conversational in it but want to keep learning).

Chinese is a useful language in that a lot of people speak it, but it is a challenging one to learn if you only speak English. May make more sense picking something you feel a connection to first which maybe already has something in common with English and then branching out from there! :)

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

If you want to learn an Indian language....then Hindi is a good choice.

KashmirFlower and ChennaiExpress like this.
  7. ChennaiExpress

LOL I just realized I made typo

Punjabi is 90% Hindi. Anyone who knows Punjabi can understand 90% Hindi

However Hindi is only 10% Punjabi. Anyone who knows Hindi can understand 10% Punjabi

8. ChennaiExpress

Quite thorough!

Quite thorough explanation indeed! I was also considering German at the back of my mind.

9. ChennaiExpress

I am interested in Ancient Hinduism ....

10. ChennaiExpress

You know ..... this is great advice. Am seriously considering German (although French is a pretty close second!)

I'm kind of sad that I will be abandoning Punjabi language ..... but I've had so many bitter experiences with family, the increasing corrosion of the once-beautiful culture. When ever I think of Punjabi language, all these thoughts keep flooding me and I get angry, then I just want to cry.

Just want to cry.

But I think learning German will be a fresh new experience.

And may you have beautiful matrimonial life with lovely memories you shall always cherish.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016