1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Personal Questions In Public

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by idonthatemylife, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

She feels inferior about her physical appearance that's why she goes around making people inferior.

I wouldn't have been nice to her and wouldn't have approved her bonding with my family (calling anna). Such things are better off handled immediately.

Hope you feel ok now OP!

2. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

My way to deal with this is to ask the same question back to that person putting them on a spot. So if they ask, why don't you have a child, I ask them back, why did you have one. If they ask when are you planning to have one, I laugh and ask back, when are you having your next one. Applies even if the said person has teenage or grown up children. It's tit for tat, works like a charm and I never get asked stupid questions again.

3. idonthatemylife

idonthatemylife Silver IL'ite

I am ok with 'are you planning for a second child ?' at times. But suggesting that I do now or why I shud is not acceptable from an acquaintance.

sbonigala likes this.
  4. somsar2014

somsar2014 Silver IL'ite

Good morning
    What an example !!! An intrusive question leading to lasting friendship. I always feel, a question should be taken , in consonance with context and spirit. An open fun-loving question, in isolation of everything, may sound very hard and nutty. But, in reality , that question is actually how much one takes interests in another person or expresses his/her ow priorities.

Thanks.

Sunshine04 and SeekingMind like this.
  5. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

OMG....too much...I think she is a lesbian :)

Sunshine04 likes this.
  6. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Don't worry dear, we are all beautiful with whatever God has given us and we should feel proud for that. Don't bother about that crazy lady's crazy words.

7. Sunrise

Sunrise Silver IL'ite

OP,

This is not only with Indians asking such questions. I have been asked this question by Americans more than my fellow Indians. I have been asked by an american nanny, a south american cleaning household lady and a colleague from Singapore. Once I was asked this question by an american lady whom I met for the first time and she asked me right there on the first meet. For me, I have no issues if they ask as I have got used to it and I just reply with different answers at times not necessarily telling them what is going on in my personal life.

maddysweet and somsar2014 like this.
  8. niriha

niriha Bronze IL'ite

I don't mind asking wen is the second KO'd. Almost I am used to it.
    But one of the lady asked me what we do to avoid conceiving...
    ' do you use that, do you use this'

I was like :eek:

somsar2014 likes this.
  9. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Asking about kids is not uncommon, I was asked by my american boss, me after joining and may be in the second meet. May be he asked as all in the team have little kids, and most of the topic all used to talk including the boss is about their kids. The way he asked it looked like taking some interest in his team members and so asking type, it didn't felt bad.

Another incident elderly client, who that time, recently got her daughter married off in Italy (luxurious stuff i think), asked about my self and Husband etc details and then kids, suggested to go for kids, saying everything looks great, kids will be fun etc suggested. (But that time I was going very serious IVF stuff, and some failed. But it didn't hurt me, but I didn't discuss my plans as it is good to tell when it works) As an elderly man , it looked like a well wisher type. we will know their intentions when they ask, most of the time , just showing some interest in our life, that's it.

But relatives, (H side, especially MIL) asked me with a "why", no kids yet, it's been a while, I had to hear bad stuff from relatives, that hurt me. But as I was not in India that trying time I heard less, if I was there in India, my life might have been hell listening everyday to their comments at that time.

10. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

@sbonigala
    don't even think about that persons comments, give zero value to that type of comments.
    a person is not an object, or a piece of meat, to gauge a person by butt size or breast sizes. if a woman/man is objectifying another woman, it is humiliation, it has to change.

inner beauty reflects on the face and through their actions and their way of life it reflects, and that is beauty.

Lakshmi6197 and Sparkle like this.