1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Train For Marathon

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by ChennaiExpress, Sep 30, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Wow thank you so much for this info!

You teach classes? Yoga classes? Wow!!! Plus you run. That is so amazing!

What are Ujjai breaths?

What's a long run?

So many questions! This is an exciting journey to embark on.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@ChennaiExpress,

Yes I am a certified Ashtanga yoga teacher and a runner and I have some students who are runners - I try to build my class around them and for them.

For Ujayi breathing, refer to this article - Ujjayi breath - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To understand the benefits of this breath, I would urge you to visit a yoga studio and try out a couple of classes.

By long run, I meant any run over 5 miles. I wasn't sure what you are doing but if you are training for a full marathon, best to practice caution and listen to your body. I usually do not do a full yoga class and a run on the same day. When I run, I use SN to stretch out after the run, usually the next day works best for me. But it is advised you stretch right after.

It is an exciting journey and I just noticed in another thread where you said you have completed 108 SNs. Kudos and congratulations!

I will be happy to answer questions you may have to the best of my ability if you have any questions in your journey. Best wishes to you.

ChennaiExpress and Laks09 like this.
  3. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Wow, wow, wow!!!!!!!!

It must be awesome to teach a class this ancient practice!

Just wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this point I'm going for couch to 5K. Still loosening left tight hips (probably since I shift weight to left leg) and increasing my endurance for next week or 2 before I start program.

Just listening to when my body will be ready for next phase of journey.

And perhaps in few years I can go for full marathon. It's quite exciting to think of!

Yes, I was so happy to complete 108 Surya Namaskars. Felt absolutely absolutely wonderful. Thank you for the kudos and congratulations :)

I just checked the Ujjayi breathing technique. Do you recommend Ujjayi breathing during 108 Surya Namaskars?

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@ChennaiExpress,

Ujjayi breath is best suited for Asana practice. Being aware of your breath during SN helps. Couch to 5k is a wonderful program I believe. Way to go!

Best wishes!

ChennaiExpress likes this.