1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Diagnosed With Depression

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by ShabnamF, Sep 26, 2016.

1. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

@ShabnamF I must appreciate you for two things -
    1. Proactively seeking help in a timely manner
    2. Candidy talking about depression diagnosis in this forum. It has helped in its own way to destigmatise the topic. Others may feel encouraged to also openly discuss their own experiences without fearing judgement. Even though there are differing viewpoints in this thread about the use of medicines, it is possible that it may help users evaluate both sides of the argument as they consider next steps.
    Goodluck to you. I am sure things are only bound to get better from here for you.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  2. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Thank you!
    I will be glad if it this helps anyone even a little bit.

3. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Thank you your suggestion.

4. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

There are many doctors here. I respect them .iam not a doctor but I had allied papers of psychology in my post graduation. I know people who took anti depressant tablets. So op , kindly take anti depressant medicines for few months only. but try getting out of stress by doing exercises, yoga, meditation , breathing exercise, positive thinking and imagining urself as a positive person , a happy person with a great family. This will help u along with ur medicines for u to get well soon.

ShabnamF likes this.
  5. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

I am currently taking the medicine and indulging myself in things that interest me. Some days it works, most of the days it does not, but I am still trying.
    I wish my family was with me in this. I have not been talking to my Mom since 2 months now and she is not even bothered to ask me why I am not talking to her. I too have no interest in telling her what is wrong, I am in no mood for any drama, she is the kind of person who would dismiss stuff like depression and all without even giving it a second thought. Sorry for the vent and thanks for the advice.

Good day!

6. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Hope u r Hale and healthy soon. Please join a meditation class or any other class u like. Example music, painting . R u working. If so Learn a new software or programming skills.

7. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Update-

Hi All,

I have been taking my meds regularly for the last five months and have had half a dozen therapy sessions with a Psychologist.

How I feel now?
    I don't really know. There are still good days and bad days and worse days. I mostly feel neutral and uninterested in almost everything. There are times when I am happy and cheerful and cracking jokes. And then there are times when I am so depressed that I just want to shut myself in my room and curl up and vanish from this world. I am sometimes obsessed with thoughts about death, I visualize myself blowing up, or getting hit by a vehicle, or cutting my wrist and bleeding to death.

Do the meds help?
    Yes, they do. They help me function in my day to day life. I can get up and get out of bed and get myself to where ever I need to go. They keep my moods neutral. My anxiety is much better now, I don't feel my heart pounding in my chest all the time anymore. I still have panic attacks, but it is much better than before.

Did the therapy help?
    Yes, it did, mostly with anxiety. I can now calm myself down in a few minutes with the help of deep breathing. It has also helped me resolve some very important issues and helped me understand why I feel the way I feel.

I am still in a place where everything seems meaningless to me and the future seems like a black hole. But I am hoping that a day will come when I will find life interesting and have some dreams. I seriously want to feel how it feels to be excited. I so miss my old self.

A note to anyone out there suffering from Depression-
    Please hold on, I know how you feel. I think we can fight it. Just hold on.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

The old self is waiting to get out. Keep taking help and meds whatever is working.

Cheers to the confidence shabnam

ShabnamF and SunPa like this.
  9. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Hugz ShabnamF, a little relieved to know you are coping better. A little sad to hear your day-to-day struggles. Yes please hold on. Better days will come. Your words reminds me of the struggles my DH went thru and I relive some of the painful days. He is over it now. It takes time but surely better days will come.

ShabnamF and madras2018 like this.
  10. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Thank you :)