1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Request Inputs From Folks In The Us And Australia

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SathyaVivek, Sep 29, 2016.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

OP, You have already received great feedback. Here are my 2 cents.
    I have been living in US for over a decade. My husband is an American. Two years ago, I got a very good position with Australian government. They sponsored my visit (for interview) and after making an offer, they sponsored travel for my family ( husband and son). All paid for. I was pregnant with my second baby at the time so they also adjusted my start date so I could deliver in USA before moving. My negotiation was to find a position for my husband and they were willing to do that. I was told that the institute will apply for my GC after completion of 6 months and it will take less than 6 month to get PR on government sponsored application.
    I am in Science not in IT and things might be different.
    We totally loved the place. We were in Canberra which is a bit colder than rest of Australia and we liked that because my husband grew up in Midwest USA a he felt more at home in Canberra than Melbourne. Employment rate in my opinion is almost same everywhere. We talked to a lot of friends and colleagues before making our decision.
    A few things:
    Employment - it depends on your skill set and how you sell your CV. It is pretty much same everywhere. One plus in Aus is that the spouse can work from day one if a job is available unlike H1b of US.
    Cost of living - Australia has comparatively higher cost of living. We compared Canberra (one of the most expensive Australian cities) and it was similar to Seattle or San Francisco. However, salaries are higher in Australia (atleast in Science).
    Homeownership: Housing in Canberra was equivalent to New York or San Francisco. We recently bought our house in California and if you both are making high five or six figure salary, you can afford a house in any of these places.
    Security - Australia is safer in my opinion. ( Although I love USA).
    Racism - my nephew graduated from Melbourne and now works in IT in Sydney. He has a lot of Australian friends and never complained about feeling racism. Subtle racism is everywhere and US is no exception.
    Citizenship - much straight forward and easier in Australia than USA. In US, it took me 2 years +after applying) on the exceptionally qualified EB1 category whereas my nephew applied for PR after working with the company for one year and might receive his PR soon. In USA, you can't apply as an Australian citizen even if you have a citizenship, citizenship of birth is considered.
    Education - my Oz friends say that higher education is much better in US, however, elementary and middle schools are better in Australia, I don't know first hand.
    All in all, both places are good. Wherever better growth opportunities are go there.
    We decided to stay in US for 2 reasons: 1. My husband's family is in US and we wanted to have atleast one set of grandparents nearby for kids to bond with. 2. We had equally good opportunities back here and it didn't make sense to uproot. We were thinking to go only for 5 years anyway, not long term.

(PS- it is just my opinion, that too during pregnancy, Australian restrooms stink)
    Good luck.

vaidehi71, monita and SathyaVivek like this.
  2. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Presence is good. One of our friends moved to Aus on PR but before he flew from India he spoke to his manager regarding a position in Sydney. So after a month if trials when he did not get any job, his manager readily took him into the team.
    My husband flew to Aus after his manager worked out a position in the Aus project and offered an on-site opportunity because we had PR. Mutual benefit - company did not have the visa application hassle, we did not have to worry about a job as soon as we landed. We flew together with kids because he already had a job.

Also desi CV companies still have the desi workplace politics behind the scenes to some extent. Buttering the managers counts.

But Aussie firms stress on work life balance and the importance of taking leaves and spending family time. No one cares what you do post 5 pm and they don't encourage long working hours. Importance to health and safety and wellness is much more than in desi firms.
    Pay wise desi companies pay less.
    Work wise desi companies make you work more.

vaidehi71 and monita like this.
  3. SathyaVivek

SathyaVivek Senior IL'ite

You know , that is what I am planning to do. To travel there with a job from my company and quit later so it would be easier to find a job with the Aussie experience :)

sbonigala likes this.
  4. SathyaVivek

Hey thanks for your reply.i guess our cases are completely different. Thanks for the insight though
    On the P.S. , sadly we have hygiene issues here as well

5. rajkumarxxx

rajkumarxxx Bronze IL'ite

I know a few friends in Australia. They live there for around 10 years or so; they feel the cost of living in Australia is so high that they are not able to save any money even after living ten years, there. These friends are there in supposedly good jobs in Australia.

Please give a serious thought to the above point, before shifting to Australia

6. SathyaVivek

Could you please let me the city your friends were in? Also were both the husband and wife working?

7. sbonigala

Sorry. I beg to differ.
    Cost of living might be more than that of US but being in Aus for 10 years and not being able to save also depends on the lifestyle of the couple. I know an Indian couple (our family friends) where the wife doesn't work. Husband works as security guard in airport. They have 3 kids. They own2 properties here. They have been here for 7 years now and are living one person's salary. No second income. They live in Sydney.

We are here from 3 years and are hoping to own some property by the end of next year. Let me remind you that I started my first job in Australia earlier this year.
    We lived in Sydney for 2 years and presently in Melbourne from past 1 year.

There are a few friends who have lived here since ages but have not been able to save much.
    A lot depends on what is your priority and how is your lifestyle. There is no one size fits all kind of salary-lifestyle-savings equation. How much we save depends on how much we are ready to spend and what is your realistic savings target according to your priorities - based on what you want to achieve- financial management I mean.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Exactly my thoughts! If someone is in good, steady job and they have their priorities right, saving for future is not hard. As I said previously, Australia might have higher cost of living compared to many (not all) US cities, but salaries are higher too to compensate the higher cost. We have friends in US, both American and Indian who have been making 6 figure salaries for years and still live paycheck to paycheck. People who buy purse for $1000 or won't drive anything less than a BMW. They wonder how we are able to save with daycare costs for 2 kids. It's all about priorities and mindful spending.

9. sbonigala

Another point regarding local experience - Aussies take the local culture pretty seriously than the local work experience. When they ask you for local experience what the most employers look is how you get along with the others in the team - culture fit I mean.
    So when they say do you have local experience its not always local work experience it also about how comfortable are you with the Aussies and how comfortable are the Aussies with you. So its not just tech knowledge but also the ease to work in the team

Most of the recruitment happens via seek.com. I highly recommend you to have a look at this website so you know what to expect for your domain/technology.
    There are 2 ways you get a job.

1. Jobs advertised by Agencies:
    You go to seek.com - short list a job - apply to the job - call the nominated agent - ask him/her to have a look at your cv and if its shortlisted - you may have to sit an online test - if you get a minimum cut off - you would be called for an interview with the company.

2. Jobs advertised by Companies:
    There are some openings that are advertised by the companies directly without any agencies.
    The process may/may not be the same after the resume is shortlisted.

A cover letter is a MUST, however you apply - directly to the company or via an agent. Unless the cover letter matches the job requirement HR/agent wont bother looking at your CV. You must ace the cover letter so the HR/agent looks at the CV.

But in either case, the comfort with which we understand their accent, their humor and the ease with which we communicate matter a lot. Once you prove that you have the ability to get along with the team and that you are technically decent enough, jobs will be coming in.

The reasons us Indians find harder to get a job here is that we take work very seriously and sometimes forget to add humor at work. Whereas here though people take work seriously, they take it with a pinch of salt, barbecue and some beer, watching footy ;)
    believe me no one works beyond 5:00 PM unless its a super critical failure. Leaving work at around 7:30 PM is going home very late !

My responses might seem a bit too much but that's how the job market works here. I learnt it the hard way so I make sure I tell everything I know to those who are seeking jobs here.

blessings1010, monita and SathyaVivek like this.
  10. rajkumarxxx

rajkumarxxx Bronze IL'ite

Perth.

Yes, both are working.