1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Train For Marathon

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by ChennaiExpress, Sep 30, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

How to train for Marathon?

It would be awesome and fun to run, especially to commemorate events, such as ringing in the New Year.

How to train?

Here is my physical activity so far (6+ days a week)

• Surya Namaskar 90 repetitions

• 10 minute bike, or alternate day, 5 minute jog

• 9 weight exercise, three sets each, 4 reps per set

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

CE - A full marathon is a huge commitment. 26.2 miles worth of commitment. I have been running for a while now but haven't yet found the time to train for a full.
    Are you a novice runner? Then start with the couch to 5k and eventually hit 10k, half marathon and run a few halves before training for a full.
    Also get a full physical workup before you start a running plan.
    I love Hal Higdon and have used his plans to train for 10k, half marathon and now I use it to beat my time(his intermediate half marathon plan).
    Here is the marathon plan for a complete beginner - Hal Higdon Training Programs
    Even this plan assumes you can run a 3 miles stretch for week 1. A couch to 5k program should get you to doing 3 miles in 9-12 weeks depending on the program you use. All these couch to 5k apps are available on the app store. Do get fitted for a proper pair of running shoe before starting out.

Good Luck!

KashmirFlower and ChennaiExpress like this.
  3. ChennaiExpress

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I wish to start simple. Would be happy to start with 5k and see where it goes.

Honestly, I wish to run those New Years Marathons, rather than be couch potato, waiting for Ball to drop.

I shall see this guide.

What do you mean by full physical workup?

Thank you so much Dear!

4. Laks09

CE - Complete health check. And when I mentioned running my doc got a heart check done.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  5. ChennaiExpress

Ah yes, health check

Question: Can I still do 108 Surya Namaskar every day. How I love this exercise!!!

I'm interested in doing this to ring in 2018 (2017 is a bit too close)

6. Laks09

You should continue with your yoga. Strength training is important.. Add running slowly.
    I think the 4 miler is a great run! You do have enough time to do it for 2017. Three months is plenty of time to run it or run/walk it. Start with a couch to 5k and see if you can progressively increase to 4 miles by December. Even if you can't run the entire stretch, there will be plenty of walkers out there.

7. ChennaiExpress

I am so encouraged!

I really love the Surya Namaskar.

Will strive within these three months!

8. ChennaiExpress

Hello,

Is Surya Namaskar considered Dynamic Stretching?

They say before run do Dynamic Stretching and after run do Static Stretching.

Please clarify

9. Laks09

What I did was walk the 10 mins warm up walk that the couch to 5k app recommended and then pause the app and stretch. Walk a little more and then start the app and start the run/walk.
    Now, what I do is walk, pause, stretch static stretches or some yoga and then run. Dynamic stretches never did it for me. I would look up youtube Videos of static and dynamic stretches and do them sporadically through out the day to not tighten up. Dynamic stretches are recommended because you don't want to stretch your tight muscles and get hurt.

@Srama - Do you think Suryanamaskars before running is ok for stretching?

HTH,
    L

KashmirFlower and ChennaiExpress like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@Laks09, thanks for the tag. Honestly that is such a tough question to answer. Suryanamaskara can be static or dynamic depending on how you do them - lots of studies done on them. When you do them, rapidly - dynamic and vice versa.

What I can definitely tell @ChennaiExpress is, if you are SNs are a part of your routine, keep it that way - don't do the 108 times before or after run, alternate days or do some such thing. Use SN (3 or 4 or how many ever you need) to stretch. Personally for me, some of the SNs as a static stretch have been immensely helpful after a long run. (I also hear stretching after is more important than before) 10 mins of these and I am almost brand new as far as the aches and pains are concerned. Saturday long run and Sunday morning 10 min SN, I am all fit and fine and I am kind of hard on Ashtanga practice only, even for SN!

I have not paid much attention to stretching while running but doing yoga at lesat 2 times/week as part of my routine has benefited me. To give you an idea of how I practice - when I ask students to hold their pose for 5 breaths, they ask me if it is their breath or mine and we giggle. That is because, my 5 five Ujjai breaths are equal to 15 breaths of students.

All I will emphasize on is just this - listen to your body!

Laks09 and ChennaiExpress like this.